Re: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] Klimczak

  • Mary
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
      It is best to begin with the family history you know and the exact location where your family originated.  This will be found in church and civil documents in the US.

      This site shows the distribution of the name in present day Poland - over 13,000 Klimczaks.  Use translate.google.com to read results in English; plug in URL to translate.
      http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/klimczak.html

      Records for your family may have been microfilmed by Latter Day Saints.  If true, the records would show any connection to noble forefathers.

      Place search for microfilmed records:
      http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
      Location of Family History Centers:
      http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

      Surname Klimczak not found in this wiki list of coats of arms:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Polish_Coats_of_Arms

      Perhaps these articles will provide some help in your search:
      http://polishnobles.com/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlachta

      Beware of commercial sites selling coats of arms.

      Origin of name:
      http://genealogy.familyeducation.com/surname-origin/klimczak
      Polish and eastern Slavic: patronymic from the personal names Klim or Klima, short forms of Klemens, from the Latin personal name Clemens (see Clement).

      Ellis Island search engine; free registration; click on scanned manifest to see manifest of your ancestors.  149 entries for exact spelling Klimczak.
      http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

      Regards,
      Mary

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
        Hello Daniel,

        Tell us what you currently know about your family and what research that you have already done. We'll be then able to offer suggestions on what you can do next.