Re: Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Karoly Danko

  • Susie Demko
    Message 1 of 82 , Oct 3, 2004
      My grandfathers date of birth is November 25, 1884, though according
      to his arrival at what it says is 19, that would make it 1888.
      And Lzkarte is what's written on his naturalization papers, its typed
      since he was not naturalized until 12-15-1959, he arrived in NY on
      the Kronprinzessin Cecilie on 12-4-1907, on there it is listed as
      Lakart, his port of departure is Bremen. it says he's going to his
      brothers in Bransch Dale, Pa then it says Pottsville, Pa.  But I
      can't read his brothers name at all.  I also can't read the name of
      his nearest relative from whence he came, I'm thinking it *MIGHT* be
      Janos. I've never found him in Pottsville censuses and have no clue
      what the other place could be.  As of 1920 he's in Ashley and I can
      follow him from there just fine.  Ive been raised to beleive that my
      grandfather and grandmother both came from the Ukraine.  Okay, i'm
      babbling at this point, LOL!
      Susie

      Message 82 of 82 , Nov 13, 2004
        Len,

        Yes, I have this book and many others detailing the activities of Cyril
        Genyk, my great-grandfather. I doubt there is any connection to royalty,
        but Genyks are connected somehow to the Sas coat of arms. I have been
        unable to find the association. http://www.polishroots.org/herbarz/sas.htm

        I was recently in Ukraine and visited the village of Bereziv Nyzhnyi, where
        70% (a wild estimate) of the residents there have a Genyk in their
        ancestry. The cemetery is filled with Genyk headstones. This village lies
        about 10 miles west of Kolomyja in the Carpathian foothills.

        Thank you for your response.

        Dorothy