Re: letter from Lviv Archives

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 8, 2009
      Ann,

      The letter is from the State Historical Archives of Ukraine in Kiev. They inform you to contact the State Historical Artchives of Ukraine in L'viv.

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Ann Poslosky <aposlosky@...> wrote:

      > Hello,?
      >
      > I'm hoping that someone can read this short letter from Lviv.? I sent an inquiry in January;? Volodymyr Hulkevych was kind and translated an answer to another inquiry in February.? I sent to two different addresses at the same time; this is the reply from the last of two inquiries.? Thanks for your consideration.?
      >
      > Ann

    • Ann Poslosky
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2009
        Roman,

        Why do these Archives always make me feel like I'm on a merry-go-round?  Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that way, too.  The Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine, Lviv which bills themselves as the "largest repository of Western Ukraine/Eastern Galician material" told me to write to the Polish Archives in Przemysl.

        Thanks Roman; much appreciate your translation of the letter from Kiev.

        Ann

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 9, 2009
          Lavrentiy,

          Thank you for checking out the letter for me....thank you and Roman.

          Ann

          The letter is from the State Historical Archives of Ukraine in Kiev. They inform you to contact the State Historical Artchives of Ukraine in L'viv.

          --- In Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com, Ann Poslosky <aposlosky@. ..> wrote:

          > Hello,?

          > I'm hoping that someone can read this short letter from Lviv.? I sent an inquiry in January;? Volodymyr Hulkevych was kind and translated an answer to another inquiry in February.? I sent to two different addresses at the same time; this is the reply from the last of two inquiries.? Thanks for your consideration. ?

          > Ann

        • Roman
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
            Ann,

            I think the answer is quite simple. The archives are not designed to
            respond to public queries such as for genealogical research. They were
            designed as storage bins for old documents. And the staff has a built-in
            view along those lines. It will take some years for archives to modify
            their approach to the public and serve as research facilities - that is,
            consider themselves as repositories for information that is of interest
            to individuals rather than the state.

            Roman

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
              Ann,

              There is an interesting result of your inquiry to the Kiev state historical archives. In the past, when that archive received such letters, genealogical inquiries as Roman discussed, the Kiev archive never responds directly...they forward such letters to a private research firm which responds.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
                Ann et al.,

                see:

                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak" <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                > Ann,
                >
                > There is an interesting result of your inquiry to the Kiev state historical archives. In the past, when that archive received such letters, genealogical inquiries as Roman discussed, the Kiev archive never responds directly...they forward such letters to a private research firm which responds.

                > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Roman <romankal@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Ann,
                > >
                > > I think the answer is quite simple. The archives are not designed to
                > > respond to public queries such as for genealogical research. They were
                > > designed as storage bins for old documents. And the staff has a built-in
                > > view along those lines. It will take some years for archives to modify
                > > their approach to the public and serve as research facilities - that is,
                > > consider themselves as repositories for information that is of interest
                > > to individuals rather than the state.
                > >
                > > Roman
                > >
                > > Ann Poslosky wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Roman,
                > > >
                > > > Why do these Archives always make me feel like I'm on a merry-go-round?
                > > > Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that way, too. The Central
                > > > State Historical Archives of Ukraine, Lviv which bills themselves as the
                > > > "largest repository of Western Ukraine/Eastern Galician material" told
                > > > me to write to the Polish Archives in Przemysl.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks Roman; much appreciate your translation of the letter from Kiev.
                > > >
                > > > Ann
                > > >
                > > > --- On Tue, 4/7/09, Roman <romankal@
                > > > <mailto:romankal%40verizon.net>> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > From: Roman <romankal@ <mailto:romankal%40verizon.net>>
                > > > Subject: Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] letter from Lviv Archives
                > > > To: Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
                > > > <mailto:Galicia_Poland-Ukraine%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > > Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 9:34 PM
                > > >
                > > > Ann,
                > > >
                > > > The short letter comes from the Kiev archives and it tells you that you
                > > >
                > > > need to contact the Lwów archives for the information you are seeking.
                > > >
                > > > Roman

              • Ann Poslosky
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
                  Roman;

                  You always make logical sense from people's questions.  Now, I can understand the reason for my frustrations....we are so fortunate to have your perspective on so many issues.  Thank you for being here on this list and thanks for your insight.  By the way, Happy Easter to you and yours and to all members on the list.

                  Ann Poslosky wrote:

                  > Roman,

                  > Why do these Archives always make me feel like I'm on a merry-go-round?

                  > Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that way, too. The Central

                  > State Historical Archives of Ukraine, Lviv which bills themselves as the

                  > "largest repository of Western Ukraine/Eastern Galician material" told

                  > me to write to the Polish Archives in Przemysl.

                  > Thanks Roman; much appreciate your translation of the letter from Kiev.

                  > Ann

                  > --- On Tue, 4/7/09, Roman <romankal@verizon. net

                  > <mailto:romankal% 40verizon. net>> wrote:

                  > From: Roman <romankal@verizon. net <mailto:romankal% 40verizon. net>>

                  > Subject: Re: [Galicia_Poland- Ukraine] letter from Lviv Archives

                  > To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                  > <mailto:Galicia_ Poland-Ukraine% 40yahoogroups. com>

                  > Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 9:34 PM

                  > Ann,

                  > The short letter comes from the Kiev archives and it tells you that you

                  > need to contact the Lwów archives for the information you are seeking.

                  > Roman

                • Ann Poslosky
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
                    Lavrentiy,

                    Now isn't that interesting?? Think it might be a break through or they just liked me....ha, ha.??  Early in January I wrote to archives all over the place, Kiev, Lviv, Presmysl, Rzeszow hoping if I threw everything out there, a response might come back with real answers.  No such luck.  Rzeszowie has a couple of records which I already have.  Could be I hit that brick wall.  Again.

                    Thank you very much for the reply.
                    Ann

                    There is an interesting result of your inquiry to the Kiev state historical archives. In the past, when that archive received such letters, genealogical inquiries as Roman discussed, the Kiev archive never responds directly...they forward such letters to a private research firm which responds.

                    --- In Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com, Roman <romankal@.. .> wrote:

                    > Ann,

                    > I think the answer is quite simple. The archives are not designed to

                    > respond to public queries such as for genealogical research. They were

                    > designed as storage bins for old documents. And the staff has a built-in

                    > view along those lines. It will take some years for archives to modify

                    > their approach to the public and serve as research facilities - that is,

                    > consider themselves as repositories for information that is of interest

                    > to individuals rather than the state.

                    > Roman

                    > Ann Poslosky wrote:

                    > > Roman,

                    > > Why do these Archives always make me feel like I'm on a merry-go-round?

                    > > Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that way, too. The Central

                    > > State Historical Archives of Ukraine, Lviv which bills themselves as the

                    > > "largest repository of Western Ukraine/Eastern Galician material" told

                    > > me to write to the Polish Archives in Przemysl.

                    > > Thanks Roman; much appreciate your translation of the letter from Kiev.

                    > > Ann

                    > > --- On Tue, 4/7/09, Roman <romankal@.. .

                    > > <mailto:romankal% 40verizon. net>> wrote:

                    > > From: Roman <romankal@.. . <mailto:romankal% 40verizon. net>>

                    > > Subject: Re: [Galicia_Poland- Ukraine] letter from Lviv Archives

                    > > To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                    > > <mailto:Galicia_ Poland-Ukraine% 40yahoogroups. com>

                    > > Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 9:34 PM

                    > > Ann,

                    > > The short letter comes from the Kiev archives and it tells you that you

                    > > need to contact the Lwów archives for the information you are seeking.

                    > > Roman

                  • Ann Poslosky
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
                      Lavrentiy,

                      The letter was identical that I sent to both archives and they were written in Polish.  Lviv replied quite fast...a month;  Kiev was two months.  Volodymyr Hulkevych translated the one from Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine and it stated that Ukraine did not receive (in the past) for storage baptismal books of Gr. Catholic and Roman Catholic parishes of village of Leszczawa Dolna, Bircza Wola (Sanok powiat, Przemysl voidship).  And, they recommended writing to the Polish Archives in Przemysl.  I had the LDS films for those areas, and found a few names, but then I couldn't connect those to later ancestors...in other words, I'm missing years from noble births, 1799 to 1880's.  I go a big "divide" in between.
                      Thanks you.

                      Ann

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 11, 2009
                        Ann Poslosky wrote:

                        > Lavrentiy,
                        >
                        > Now isn't that interesting?

                        Yes, I did find that interesting.

                        > Think it might be a break through or they just liked me....ha, ha.

                        Any other persons who recently contacted the Ukrainian State Historical Archives of Ukraine in Kiev (Kyiv) have a similar reply?

                        From: http://www.archives.gov.ua/Eng/genealogia.php

                        "For the purpose of serving you in conducting genealogical research, the Ukrainian Center for Genealogical Research was organized. The Center associated with the State Archives would assist you in searching your roots in Ukraine and coordinate all research work within the Ukrainian Archives. Please visit the Center's website www.genealogicaltree.org.ua for more detailed information or contact the Center directly: genealogicaltree@..."

                        http://www.genealogicaltree.org.ua/eng/eindex.html

                        In the US, a relationship of a government agency with a private business would not be permitted.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 11, 2009
                          krupniak wrote:

                          > In the US, a relationship of a government agency with a private business would not be permitted.

                          Lavrentiy, that is not true, e.g. how did Halliburton get a multi-billion dollar contract to work in Iraq?

                          http://www.halliburtonwatch.org/