Hutzuls Huculi in 1890 - 1939

  • Danuta Janina Wójcik
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2009
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvHRry9DSX4&feature=channel

    • Danuta Janina Wójcik
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvHRry9DSX4

        ----- Original Message -----
        From: jimlosa
        To: GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:01 AM
        Subject: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] Hutsul photo

        http://ukrainianmuseumlibrary.org/index.php

        If anyone could go to this website, scroll down to "from the curator; items of interest" and click on "read more", then on the next page about two thirds of the way down, a photo of a man and woman entitled "Town of Kalush, Ivano-Frankivsk oblast". I obtained a copy of this photo from another website and it is supposed to be peasants from Nebyliw village in Ivano-Frankivsk, photo from the Lviv state Archives. Photo taken 1887. Nebyliw was in Kalush district at the time the photo was taken. Is this traditional Hutsul attire? Any other comments on this photo? My grandmother was born in Nebyliw in 1890.

      • jim
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012
          If you can find my message from Feb. 28, - #40071, I have about 60 surnames from Nebyliw village. Can you determine wether any are Hutsul, Boyko etc?

          If anyone could go to this website, scroll down to "from the curator; items of interest" and click on "read more", then on the next page about two thirds of the way down, a photo of a man and woman entitled "Town of Kalush, Ivano-Frankivsk oblast". I obtained a copy of this photo from another website and it is supposed to be peasants from Nebyliw village in Ivano-Frankivsk, photo from the Lviv state Archives. Photo taken 1887. Nebyliw was in Kalush district at the time the photo was taken. Is this traditional Hutsul attire? Any other comments on this photo? My grandmother was born in Nebyliw in 1890.

          No virus found in this message.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012

            Hutsuls and Boikos are Carpatho-Rusyn people and Orthodox christians. Their surnames are based on basically the same language (East Slavic). Thus, it is not possible based on only last name to dtermine if a family is Boiko or Hutsul. One has to examine culture and other social practices.