Re: Polish president sees "conflicting reports" on Russia's Iskander plans,regrets delay of shield deal

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2009
      December 5, 2008

      WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A missile shield test was a "smashing success,"
      Pentagon officials said Friday, despite the failure of the test to
      put to rest concerns that the interceptor might not be able to
      differentiate between real missiles and decoys.

      Eight of the United States' 13 missile defense tests have been deemed
      a success.

      The ground-based interceptor missile, launched from Vandenberg Air
      Force Base in California, destroyed a long-range ballistic missile
      launched from Kodiak, Alaska, the Defense Department's Missile
      Defense Agency said.

      But one key aspect of the test -- to see whether the system could
      tell the difference between a missile and a decoy aimed at
      confounding its "seek" systems -- failed because the decoy did not
      deploy.

      Officials told CNN on Thursday that Friday's test would be the most
      realistic of 13 missile shield system tests conducted to date. Eight
      of the 13 tests have now been deemed a success by the Pentagon.
      Watch a Pentagon spokesman explain the Friday's problem »

      This was the first test in which a crew at an alternate fire control
      center in Alaska remotely launched the interceptor missile from
      California.

      The "initial indications," according to the Defense Department, are
      that all components of Friday's test performed as designed.

      Critics have long complained that the tests are not realistic because
      they don't involve balloons or other simple decoys that, they argue,
      could easily fool the interceptor.

      http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/05/us.missile.test/index.html

      *******

      'Unproven Missile Defense Systems' Are 'Proven' To Russians

      Yet the biggest problem is its destabilising effect. It sets Russian
      against Pole and Czech. It has created a world where Putin and his
      generals can point to an encircling American military. Ever since the
      US revoked the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty in 2001, Russia has
      looked nervously at American expansion. Missile defence, they fear,
      is ultimately aimed at them, and their strategic defence capability.

      The Americans point the finger at "rogue states" â€" nowadays, a
      euphemism for Iran. However, when North Korea was the prime concern,
      the US engaged in an ultimately successful dialogue with them on
      their weapons programme. If Russia and the European Union had their
      way, talking with Tehran would remain the way forward.

      Russia has actually called America's bluff on missile defence,
      offering co-operation against rogue states, and the use of radar
      facilities within Russia. The Americans turned them down, as our
      government surreptitiously allowed the incorporation of RAF
      Fylingdales and RAF Menwith Hill into the American system. This was
      without the public and parliamentary debate demanded by more than two
      thirds of the British public, and promised by Tony Blair in February
      2007.

      Now, what would I think if I were Russian?

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/nov/05/defence-
      weaponstechnology

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
      <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

      > Hope for Moscow-Washington missile cooperation
      >
      > Russia and U.S have the potential for a 'real breakthrough' in
      their
      > relations if they pursue the shared goal of opposing Iran,
      according
      > to the chairman of the U.S. Senate armed services committee.
      >

      > http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/36690/video
      >

      > http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/36540
      >
      > http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/36520
      >
      > http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/36690
      >

      > _____
      >
      > Lavrentiy
      >

      > krupniak wrote:
      > >

      > > New York Times
      > >
      > > U.S. Secures New Supply Routes to Afghanistan
      > >
      > > By RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr.
      > >
      > > Published: January 20, 2009
      > >

      > > ISLAMABAD, Pakistan …quot; Faced with the risk that Taliban
      attacks
      > could
      > > imperil the main supply route for NATO troops in Afghanistan, the
      > > United States military has obtained permission to move troop
      > supplies
      > > through Russia and Central Asia, Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top
      > > American commander in the Middle East, said on Tuesday.
      > >

      > > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/world/asia/21pstan.html
      > >

      > > krupniak wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Russia decided to suspend plans to deploy Iskander missiles
      > > > Kalinigrad territory because Russia is receiving signals from
      the
      > > US
      > > > Obama administration that the US will not install missile
      shield
      > > > facilities in Poland nor in Czech Republic.
      > > >
      > > > The US and NATO now need to supply their troops in
      > Afghanistan
      > > > via Russia. Supplying trrops in Afghansitan via Pakistan (Kiber
      > > Pass)
      > > > is now becoming a very unreliable transport route. The US
      needs
      > > > Russian support.
      > > >
      > > > Poland and Ukraine are insignificant nations in geopolitics
      > now.
      > > >
      > > > _______
      > > >
      > > > Lavrentiy

      > > > Iskander plans,regrets delay of shield deal
      > > > conflicting
      > missiles
      > > > in the
      > comment