Polish president sees "conflicting reports" on Russia's Iskander plans,regrets delay of shield deal

  • Danuta Janina Wójcik
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2009
      Central Europe

      13:57 GMT, Jan 28, 2009 Latest Headlines...

      Polish president sees "conflicting reports" on Russia's Iskander plans,regrets delay of shield deal
      WARSAW. JANUARY 28. INTERFAX CENTRAL EUROPE - There are conflicting
      reports as to Russia's plans to deploy Iskander missiles in the
      Kaliningrad Oblast, which is why it is difficult to comment on the
      matter, but the current situation proves the previous Polish
      administration was right when it favored a swift signing of the missile
      shield agreement with the US, said Polish President Lech Kaczynski.
      "When it comes to the missile shield, we have conflicting reports,"
      Kaczynski told reporters when asked about reports about Russia
      suspending the Iskander deployment in Kaliningrad.
      "Those are rumors at this point, so allow me not to comment on such an
      important matter based on uncertain information," the Polish president
      added. "The matter is of key importance for Poland."
      "But it turned out that those who wanted a swift signing of the deal
      were right," Kaczynski said.
      Kaczynski alluded to the stance of the current center-right government
      led by the Civic Platform (PO) on the missile shield project, which,
      before signing the deal with the US in August 2008, was more skeptical
      towards the U.S. missile shield's deployment in Poland than that
      previous government in 2005-2007, led by the president's identical twin
      brother Jaroslaw Kaczynski and his conservative Law and Justice (PiS)
      party, which initiated the missile shield talks with the US.
      A Russian General Staff official told Interfax on condition of anonymity
      on Wednesday that Russia has suspended the deployment of Iskander
      tactical missile systems in the Kaliningrad region, which it planned to
      station there as a countermeasure against the U.S. plans to deploy
      missile defense facilities in Poland and the Czech Republic.
      These plans have been suspended because the new U.S. administration is
      not pushing ahead with the plans to deploy the third phase of the U.S.
      missile defense system in Poland and the Czech Republic, the official
      said.http://www.interfax.com/5/466993/news.aspx

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2009
        Russia decided to suspend plans to deploy Iskander missiles to
        Kalinigrad territory because Russia is receiving signals from the US
        Obama administration that the US will not install missile shield
        facilities in Poland nor in Czech Republic.

        The US and NATO now need to supply their troops in Afghanistan
        via Russia. Supplying trrops in Afghansitan via Pakistan (Kiber Pass)
        is now becoming a very unreliable transport route. The US needs
        Russian support.

        Poland and Ukraine are insignificant nations in geopolitics now.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 29, 2009
          New York Times

          U.S. Secures New Supply Routes to Afghanistan

          By RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr.

          Published: January 20, 2009

          ISLAMABAD, Pakistan â€" Faced with the risk that Taliban attacks could
          imperil the main supply route for NATO troops in Afghanistan, the
          United States military has obtained permission to move troop supplies
          through Russia and Central Asia, Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top
          American commander in the Middle East, said on Tuesday.

          http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/world/asia/21pstan.html

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2009
            Hope for Moscow-Washington missile cooperation

            Russia and U.S have the potential for a 'real breakthrough' in their
            relations if they pursue the shared goal of opposing Iran, according
            to the chairman of the U.S. Senate armed services committee.

            http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/36690/video

            http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/36540

            http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/36520

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2009
              Good morning...we can watch TV...all night. :)

              Danuta

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2009
                December 5, 2008

                WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A missile shield test was a "smashing success,"
                Pentagon officials said Friday, despite the failure of the test to
                put to rest concerns that the interceptor might not be able to
                differentiate between real missiles and decoys.

                Eight of the United States' 13 missile defense tests have been deemed
                a success.

                The ground-based interceptor missile, launched from Vandenberg Air
                Force Base in California, destroyed a long-range ballistic missile
                launched from Kodiak, Alaska, the Defense Department's Missile
                Defense Agency said.

                But one key aspect of the test -- to see whether the system could
                tell the difference between a missile and a decoy aimed at
                confounding its "seek" systems -- failed because the decoy did not
                deploy.

                Officials told CNN on Thursday that Friday's test would be the most
                realistic of 13 missile shield system tests conducted to date. Eight
                of the 13 tests have now been deemed a success by the Pentagon.
                Watch a Pentagon spokesman explain the Friday's problem »

                This was the first test in which a crew at an alternate fire control
                center in Alaska remotely launched the interceptor missile from
                California.

                The "initial indications," according to the Defense Department, are
                that all components of Friday's test performed as designed.

                Critics have long complained that the tests are not realistic because
                they don't involve balloons or other simple decoys that, they argue,
                could easily fool the interceptor.

                http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/05/us.missile.test/index.html

                *******

                'Unproven Missile Defense Systems' Are 'Proven' To Russians

                Yet the biggest problem is its destabilising effect. It sets Russian
                against Pole and Czech. It has created a world where Putin and his
                generals can point to an encircling American military. Ever since the
                US revoked the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty in 2001, Russia has
                looked nervously at American expansion. Missile defence, they fear,
                is ultimately aimed at them, and their strategic defence capability.

                The Americans point the finger at "rogue states" â€" nowadays, a
                euphemism for Iran. However, when North Korea was the prime concern,
                the US engaged in an ultimately successful dialogue with them on
                their weapons programme. If Russia and the European Union had their
                way, talking with Tehran would remain the way forward.

                Russia has actually called America's bluff on missile defence,
                offering co-operation against rogue states, and the use of radar
                facilities within Russia. The Americans turned them down, as our
                government surreptitiously allowed the incorporation of RAF
                Fylingdales and RAF Menwith Hill into the American system. This was
                without the public and parliamentary debate demanded by more than two
                thirds of the British public, and promised by Tony Blair in February
                2007.

                Now, what would I think if I were Russian?

                http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/nov/05/defence-
                weaponstechnology

                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"