Re: Help with reading a Baptismal record

    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 1, 2009
      http://www.behindthename.com/name/euphemia

      EUPHEMIA
      Gender: Feminine

      Usage: Ancient Greek

      Other Scripts: Ευφημια (Ancient Greek)

      Pronounced: yoo-FEM-ee-ə (English)

      Means "to speak well", derived from Greek ευ "good" and φημι
      (phemi) "to speak". Saint Euphemia was an early martyr who was burnt at
      the stake.
      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 3, 2009
        Indeed, Blazej is a popular name in the Polish community. This is
        further clue that he was an ethnic Pole. Blazej is not used in
        Ukrainian community.

        Danuta Janina W󪣩k wrote:

        > Witam,
        >
        > Blazej is definately a Polish name. the l has a stroke and the z
        has a dot.

        > Pet name - Blazek or Blazko
        >
        > Latin variation - Blasius
        >
        > There are 138 Traczuk's on Nasza Klasa (Polish Facebook).
        >
        > And on one of the census - 308 in various regions of Poland
        >
        > Pozdrawiam,
        > Danuta

        Baptismal record

        > Blazej is not common in Ukrainian community. In Ukrainian it is
        Vlas
        > or Vlasiy...very rare usage.
        >
        > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "leigh_kd"
        > <leigh_kd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I answered my own question. My mother said her father Blazej
        was
        > > adament that they were Polish.
        > >
        > > <leigh_kd@> wrote:

        > Trachuk
        > > as a
        > > >
        > > > This entry promted discussion about the translation of
        Joannes
        > into
        > > > Ukrainian, Polish, or English.
        > > >
        > > > I am interested in establishing whether my family was
        Ukrainian,
        > > > Polish, or both. I can worry about the translation to English
        of
        > > their
        > > > names later. The only information I have about this is my
        mother
        > > claims
        > > > her Grandmother Maria spoke Polish. I am not sure if this is
        100%
        > > > accurate and will check with her to find out how she knows it
        was
        > > > Polish.
        > > > I also have the manifests for both Maria's and Blazej's
        > immigration
        > > and
        > > > a later manifest for Maria returning from a visit home in
        1913. I
        > > have
        > > > added these to my file. Blazej states he is Polish and I
        assume
        > > that is
        > > > accurate. You can see familiar last names on the manifests. I
        > > believe
        > > > these to be relatives/friends. I have just started to focus
        more
        > > > closely on these people.
        > > >
        > > > I am aware that due to the political upheaval (polite terms
        for
        > the
        > > > results of war and ethnic cleansing) that occurred in Galacia
        > that
        > > > country borders changed position and the Polish and Ukrainian
        > > > population became mixed. This has made it difficult for me to
        > > determine
        > > > whether my family was Ukrainian or Polish.
        > > >
        > > > Larry, you stated that my gg-grandfather Joannes was
        Ukrainian.