Re: Help with reading a Baptismal record

    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 1, 2009
      Karen,

      LDS FHL has some Zbarazh (Zbaraz~) Greek Catholic parish vital
      records:

      Title Metrical books, 1835-1864

      Authors Greek Catholic Church. Zbaraż Miasto (Zbaraż)

      Notes Microreproduction of manuscripts at the Central State
      Historical Archives of Ukraine in L′viv.
      Greek Catholic Church records (births, marriages, deaths) for Zbaraż
      Miasto (usually listed on manuscript as Zbaraż) (Zbaraż), Galizien,
      Austria; later Zbaraż (Zbaraż), Tarnopol, Poland; now Zbaraz︠h︡,
      Zbaraz︠h︡, Ternopil′, Ukraine. Text in Latin.
      Record group 201, series 4A, files 2183-2189.
      For some years the records of this locality are mixed with the
      records of other localities.

      Subjects Austria, Galizien, Zbaraż Miasto (Zbaraż) - Church records
      Poland, Tarnopol, Zbaraż (Zbaraż) - Church records
      Україна, Тернопіль, Збараж, Збараж - Метричні книги
      Ukraine, Ternopil′, Zbaraz︠h︡, Zbaraz︠h︡ - Church records

      Format Manuscript (On Film)
      Language Latin
      Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical
      Society of Utah, 2000
      Physical on 2 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
      <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

      > OK..two sharp minds have independently determined that the name is
      > probably Euphemia!
      >

      > Yefymiya is a vey popular name among Carpatho-Rusyns and
      Ukrainians.
      > It is not used that much among Poles.

      > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Ann Evan"
      > <evanpolgen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Roman/Karen,
      > >

      > > Could Maria?s mother?s name be Euphemia? It?s not so common in
      the
      > U.S. but
      > > I personally know two older Eastern European women by this name
      > (although
      > > one of them calls herself ?Faye? and the other uses her middle
      name
      > socially
      > > and her real name only for legal documents).
      > >

      > > Mary Ann Evan

      The

      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 3, 2009
        Indeed, Blazej is a popular name in the Polish community. This is
        further clue that he was an ethnic Pole. Blazej is not used in
        Ukrainian community.

        Danuta Janina W󪣩k wrote:

        > Witam,
        >
        > Blazej is definately a Polish name. the l has a stroke and the z
        has a dot.

        > Pet name - Blazek or Blazko
        >
        > Latin variation - Blasius
        >
        > There are 138 Traczuk's on Nasza Klasa (Polish Facebook).
        >
        > And on one of the census - 308 in various regions of Poland
        >
        > Pozdrawiam,
        > Danuta

        Baptismal record

        > Blazej is not common in Ukrainian community. In Ukrainian it is
        Vlas
        > or Vlasiy...very rare usage.
        >
        > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "leigh_kd"
        > <leigh_kd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I answered my own question. My mother said her father Blazej
        was
        > > adament that they were Polish.
        > >
        > > <leigh_kd@> wrote:

        > Trachuk
        > > as a
        > > >
        > > > This entry promted discussion about the translation of
        Joannes
        > into
        > > > Ukrainian, Polish, or English.
        > > >
        > > > I am interested in establishing whether my family was
        Ukrainian,
        > > > Polish, or both. I can worry about the translation to English
        of
        > > their
        > > > names later. The only information I have about this is my
        mother
        > > claims
        > > > her Grandmother Maria spoke Polish. I am not sure if this is
        100%
        > > > accurate and will check with her to find out how she knows it
        was
        > > > Polish.
        > > > I also have the manifests for both Maria's and Blazej's
        > immigration
        > > and
        > > > a later manifest for Maria returning from a visit home in
        1913. I
        > > have
        > > > added these to my file. Blazej states he is Polish and I
        assume
        > > that is
        > > > accurate. You can see familiar last names on the manifests. I
        > > believe
        > > > these to be relatives/friends. I have just started to focus
        more
        > > > closely on these people.
        > > >
        > > > I am aware that due to the political upheaval (polite terms
        for
        > the
        > > > results of war and ethnic cleansing) that occurred in Galacia
        > that
        > > > country borders changed position and the Polish and Ukrainian
        > > > population became mixed. This has made it difficult for me to
        > > determine
        > > > whether my family was Ukrainian or Polish.
        > > >
        > > > Larry, you stated that my gg-grandfather Joannes was
        Ukrainian.