RE: Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: Help with reading a Baptismal record

  • Mary Ann Evan
    Message 1 of 76 , Dec 31, 2008
      Roman/Karen, I think that word before filia/daughter is the first name of
      Maria’s mother, but I can’t figure out exactly what it is either. Part of
      the first letter seems to have been lost in the fold so it’s hard to tell
      what it is, and the general outline of the word doesn’t suggest any names to
      me. The second letter may be “u,” the third letter seems to have a line that
      drops like “p” but there are other places where a letter like “e” or “a”
      starts with a similar upstroke, and the ending may be “a” or “ia.” None of
      this adds up to a name to me, but maybe someone else can get more out of it.

      Mary Ann Evan

      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 3, 2009
        Indeed, Blazej is a popular name in the Polish community. This is
        further clue that he was an ethnic Pole. Blazej is not used in
        Ukrainian community.

        Danuta Janina W󪣩k wrote:

        > Witam,
        >
        > Blazej is definately a Polish name. the l has a stroke and the z
        has a dot.

        > Pet name - Blazek or Blazko
        >
        > Latin variation - Blasius
        >
        > There are 138 Traczuk's on Nasza Klasa (Polish Facebook).
        >
        > And on one of the census - 308 in various regions of Poland
        >
        > Pozdrawiam,
        > Danuta

        Baptismal record

        > Blazej is not common in Ukrainian community. In Ukrainian it is
        Vlas
        > or Vlasiy...very rare usage.
        >
        > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "leigh_kd"
        > <leigh_kd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I answered my own question. My mother said her father Blazej
        was
        > > adament that they were Polish.
        > >
        > > <leigh_kd@> wrote:

        > Trachuk
        > > as a
        > > >
        > > > This entry promted discussion about the translation of
        Joannes
        > into
        > > > Ukrainian, Polish, or English.
        > > >
        > > > I am interested in establishing whether my family was
        Ukrainian,
        > > > Polish, or both. I can worry about the translation to English
        of
        > > their
        > > > names later. The only information I have about this is my
        mother
        > > claims
        > > > her Grandmother Maria spoke Polish. I am not sure if this is
        100%
        > > > accurate and will check with her to find out how she knows it
        was
        > > > Polish.
        > > > I also have the manifests for both Maria's and Blazej's
        > immigration
        > > and
        > > > a later manifest for Maria returning from a visit home in
        1913. I
        > > have
        > > > added these to my file. Blazej states he is Polish and I
        assume
        > > that is
        > > > accurate. You can see familiar last names on the manifests. I
        > > believe
        > > > these to be relatives/friends. I have just started to focus
        more
        > > > closely on these people.
        > > >
        > > > I am aware that due to the political upheaval (polite terms
        for
        > the
        > > > results of war and ethnic cleansing) that occurred in Galacia
        > that
        > > > country borders changed position and the Polish and Ukrainian
        > > > population became mixed. This has made it difficult for me to
        > > determine
        > > > whether my family was Ukrainian or Polish.
        > > >
        > > > Larry, you stated that my gg-grandfather Joannes was
        Ukrainian.