Re: Wotowicz Manifest

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
      Good news for the person researching Wol~owiec family of
      Smarzowa...the LDS FHL has a large collection of Siedliska Bogusz
      Roman Catholic church vital record books on microfilm:

      http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.a
      sp?display=topicdetails&subject=640746&subject_disp=Austria%
      2C+Galizien%2C+Siedliska+Bogusz+%2D+Church+records&columns=*,0,0

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta Janina W󪣩k

      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
        Danuta Janina W󪣩k <sandlily@...> wrote:

        > I prefer a thesis rather than an essay. :)

        *******

        You're putting a lot of pressure on Fred now to produce.
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
          Księgi metrykalne, 1713-1913
          Authors Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Siedliska Bogusz (Jasło)
          (Main Author)

          Notes Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne w
          Tarnowie.
          Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages, and deaths for
          Siedliska Bogusz, Galizien, Austria; now Siedliska Bogusz (Jasło),
          Rzeszów, Poland. The records prior to about 1784 include the
          surrounding towns of Smarzowa, Bączałka, Kamienica, Grudna,
          Gorzejowa, and Głabikówka. Text in Latin.

          Format Manuscript (On Film)
          Language Polish
          Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowało The Genealogical
          Society of Utah, 1993
          Physical na 2 rolkach mikrofilmu ; 35 mm.

          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
          <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

          > Good news for the person researching Wol~owiec family of
          > Smarzowa...the LDS FHL has a large collection of Siedliska Bogusz
          > Roman Catholic church vital record books on microfilm:

          http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.a
          > sp?display=topicdetails&subject=640746&subject_disp=Austria%
          > 2C+Galizien%2C+Siedliska+Bogusz+%2D+Church+records&columns=*,0,0

          > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta Janina W󪣩k
          > <sandlily@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Witam Romanek i Inek,
          > >
          > > There are no Wotowiec on Nasza Klasa.
          > >
          > > 70 - Wol~owiec
          > > 503 - Wol~owicz
          > > 1 Wal~owiec
          > >
          > > 1 Wol~owiec from Tarnow and lives in Chicago.
          > >
          > > Milego dnia,
          > > Danuta

        • Danuta Janina Wójcik
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
            Fredek, can handle it, he is the writer and he has the book. :)

            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
              Fred can do it...like an auctioneer where words flow with ease from the
              lips words flow from Fred's fingertips with ease.

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                LDS FHL Smarzowa collection:

                Księgi metrykalne, 1784-1900
                Authors Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Smarzowa (Jasło) (Main
                Author)

                Notes Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne w
                Tarnowie.
                ----------------------------
                Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages, and deaths for
                Smarzowa, Galizien, Austria; now Smarzowa (Jasło), Rzeszów, Poland.
                For records prior to 1784 see parish registers for the neighboring
                town of Siedliska Bogusz, Rzeszów, Poland. Text in Latin.

                Subjects Poland, Rzeszów, Smarzowa - Church records
                Austria, Galizien, Smarzowa - Church records

                Format Manuscript (On Film)
                Language Polish
                Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowało The Genealogical
                Society of Utah, 1993
                Physical na 3 rolkach mikrofilmu ; 35 mm.

                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                  The Lenius gazeteer regarding the RC parish for Smarzowa should be
                  corrected, no?

                  <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                  > LDS FHL Smarzowa collection:
                  >

                  > Księgi metrykalne, 1784-1900
                  > Authors Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Smarzowa (Jasło) (Main
                  > Author)
                  >
                  > Notes Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne w
                  > Tarnowie.
                  > ----------------------------
                  > Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages, and deaths
                  for
                  > Smarzowa, Galizien, Austria; now Smarzowa (Jasło), Rzeszów, Poland.
                  > For records prior to 1784 see parish registers for the neighboring
                  > town of Siedliska Bogusz, Rzeszów, Poland. Text in Latin.
                  >

                  > Subjects Poland, Rzeszów, Smarzowa - Church records
                  > Austria, Galizien, Smarzowa - Church records
                  >

                  > Format Manuscript (On Film)
                  > Language Polish
                  > Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowało The Genealogical
                  > Society of Utah, 1993
                  > Physical na 3 rolkach mikrofilmu ; 35 mm.
                  >

                  > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                  > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Księgi metrykalne, 1713-1913
                  > > Authors Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Siedliska Bogusz
                  (Jasło)
                  > > (Main Author)
                  > >
                  > > Notes Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne w
                  > > Tarnowie.
                  > > Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages, and deaths
                  > for
                  > > Siedliska Bogusz, Galizien, Austria; now Siedliska Bogusz
                  (Jasło),
                  > > Rzeszów, Poland. The records prior to about 1784 include the
                  > > surrounding towns of Smarzowa, Bączałka, Kamienica, Grudna,
                  > > Gorzejowa, and Głabikówka. Text in Latin.
                  > >

                  > > Format Manuscript (On Film)
                  > > Language Polish
                  > > Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowało The
                  Genealogical
                  > > Society of Utah, 1993
                  > > Physical na 2 rolkach mikrofilmu ; 35 mm.
                  > >

                  > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                  > > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Good news for the person researching Wol~owiec family of
                  > > > Smarzowa...the LDS FHL has a large collection of Siedliska
                  Bogusz
                  > > > Roman Catholic church vital record books on microfilm:

                  http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.a
                  > > > sp?display=topicdetails&subject=640746&subject_disp=Austria%
                  > > > 2C+Galizien%2C+Siedliska+Bogusz+%2D+Church+records&columns=*,0,0
                  > > >
                  > > > ______
                  > > >
                  > > > Lavrentiy
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta Janina
                  W󪣩k

                • Fred Hoffman
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                    Hi,

                    Lavrentiy wrote:

                    > How many Wojtowiec?
                    >
                    > We need to help Fred prepare an essay.

                    Fred's on deadline for a periodical, so this has
                    to be short. The most I can tell you is that Prof.
                    Rymut's book lists both WOTOWIEC and WOTOWICZ
                    under names derived from the noun _wotum_, which
                    derives from Latin _votum_. He defines it as "an
                    object expressing gratitude in a church" (compare
                    the use of "votive" in English), and in older
                    times, "a solemn vow," which is especially likely
                    to refer to the vows exchanged in matrimony. (We
                    often see women in Latin-language records
                    described as "X de 1-o voto, Y de 2-o voto" -- "X
                    by her first marriage, Y by her second marriage.")
                    Rymut points out that this meaning of "solemn vow"
                    referring to marriage vows also appears in an
                    archaic Polish verb, _wotowac_, meaning "to get
                    married"; but he says that verb could also mean
                    "to vote, to pass a resolution."

                    So the name could mean "son of the vow guy,"
                    referring to one who made a solemn vow, which may
                    or may not have involved marriage. Or it could
                    mean "son of the voter," I guess. Or we could be
                    spinning our wheels, and somewhere along the line
                    a slash-L was misread as a T, and the name
                    originally was WOLOWIEC, from the word for "ox." I
                    think the manifest reads "Wotowiec," and it's
                    clear the person who wrote the name meant that
                    letter to be a T, not an L. But that doesn't mean
                    the name couldn't have been misread somewhere
                    earlier in the process.

                    That's the problem trying to deal with Polish
                    names. There's an instinctive desire to interpret
                    a rare name as a misspelling of a common name, and
                    often that's applicable. But there are jillions of
                    rare names, and somebody has to bear them. So you
                    never really know what the name was until research
                    settles the matter (if it does).

                    Fred Hoffman
                  • Danuta Janina Wójcik
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                      Here is the list of Archives in Poland. Smarzowa would be included in Archiwum Państwowe w Rzeszowie Oddział w Skołyszynie
                      38-242 Skołyszyn 249,
                      tel: (13) 449-10-96
                      fax:
                      email: apskolyszyn@...

                      Rather than the State Krakow Archives - Tarnow Branch, but the the Diocese of Tarnow would have all the Roman Catholic Records, as well for Skolyszynie, Jaslo, Rzeszow, Tarnow, Smarzowa.

                      http://www.archiwa.gov.pl/?CIDA=177

                      Pozdrawiam,
                      Danuta

                      <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                      > LDS FHL Smarzowa collection:
                      >

                      > Księgi metrykalne, 1784-1900
                      > Authors Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Smarzowa (Jasło) (Main
                      > Author)
                      >
                      > Notes Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne w
                      > Tarnowie.
                      > ----------------------------
                      > Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages, and deaths
                      for
                      > Smarzowa, Galizien, Austria; now Smarzowa (Jasło), Rzeszów, Poland.
                      > For records prior to 1784 see parish registers for the neighboring
                      > town of Siedliska Bogusz, Rzeszów, Poland. Text in Latin.
                      >

                      > Subjects Poland, Rzeszów, Smarzowa - Church records
                      > Austria, Galizien, Smarzowa - Church records
                      >

                      > Format Manuscript (On Film)
                      > Language Polish
                      > Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowało The Genealogical
                      > Society of Utah, 1993
                      > Physical na 3 rolkach mikrofilmu ; 35 mm.
                      >

                      > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                      > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Księgi metrykalne, 1713-1913
                      > > Authors Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Siedliska Bogusz
                      (Jasło)
                      > > (Main Author)
                      > >
                      > > Notes Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne w
                      > > Tarnowie.
                      > > Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages, and deaths
                      > for
                      > > Siedliska Bogusz, Galizien, Austria; now Siedliska Bogusz
                      (Jasło),
                      > > Rzeszów, Poland. The records prior to about 1784 include the
                      > > surrounding towns of Smarzowa, Bączałka, Kamienica, Grudna,
                      > > Gorzejowa, and Głabikówka. Text in Latin.
                      > >

                      > > Format Manuscript (On Film)
                      > > Language Polish
                      > > Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowało The
                      Genealogical
                      > > Society of Utah, 1993
                      > > Physical na 2 rolkach mikrofilmu ; 35 mm.
                      > >

                      > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                      > > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > Good news for the person researching Wol~owiec family of
                      > > > Smarzowa...the LDS FHL has a large collection of Siedliska
                      Bogusz
                      > > > Roman Catholic church vital record books on microfilm:

                      http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.a
                      > > > sp?display=topicdetails&subject=640746&subject_disp=Austria%
                      > > > 2C+Galizien%2C+Siedliska+Bogusz+%2D+Church+records&columns=*,0,0
                      > > >
                      > > > ______
                      > > >
                      > > > Lavrentiy
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta Janina
                      W󪣩k

                    • Danuta Janina Wójcik

                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                          All the R.C. parishes in the Rzeszow Area are part of the Tarnow Diocese.

                          http://adt.sl.pl/index.php?option=com_zasob&task=parafie_all

                          The Tarnow Diocese located in the city of Tarnow and Tarnow's sister city is Ternopil.

                          The areas of the Tarnow Diocese is the most religious area in all of Poland.

                          http://adt.sl.pl/index.php?Itemid=40&id=19&option=com_content&task=view&lang=english

                          Nowa Huta is also included in the Tarnow Diocese.

                          History of Nowa Huta during communist era. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYZcSwBd_0M

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZAGBlPIO4

                          <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                          > LDS FHL Smarzowa collection:
                          >

                          > Księgi metrykalne, 1784-1900
                          > Authors Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Smarzowa (Jasło) (Main
                          > Author)
                          >
                          > Notes Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne w
                          > Tarnowie.
                          > ----------------------------
                          > Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages, and deaths
                          for
                          > Smarzowa, Galizien, Austria; now Smarzowa (Jasło), Rzeszów, Poland.
                          > For records prior to 1784 see parish registers for the neighboring
                          > town of Siedliska Bogusz, Rzeszów, Poland. Text in Latin.
                          >

                          > Subjects Poland, Rzeszów, Smarzowa - Church records
                          > Austria, Galizien, Smarzowa - Church records
                          >

                          > Format Manuscript (On Film)
                          > Language Polish
                          > Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowało The Genealogical
                          > Society of Utah, 1993
                          > Physical na 3 rolkach mikrofilmu ; 35 mm.
                          >

                          > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                          > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Księgi metrykalne, 1713-1913
                          > > Authors Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Siedliska Bogusz
                          (Jasło)
                          > > (Main Author)
                          > >
                          > > Notes Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne w
                          > > Tarnowie.
                          > > Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages, and deaths
                          > for
                          > > Siedliska Bogusz, Galizien, Austria; now Siedliska Bogusz
                          (Jasło),
                          > > Rzeszów, Poland. The records prior to about 1784 include the
                          > > surrounding towns of Smarzowa, Bączałka, Kamienica, Grudna,
                          > > Gorzejowa, and Głabikówka. Text in Latin.
                          > >

                          > > Format Manuscript (On Film)
                          > > Language Polish
                          > > Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowało The
                          Genealogical
                          > > Society of Utah, 1993
                          > > Physical na 2 rolkach mikrofilmu ; 35 mm.
                          > >

                          > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                          > > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > Good news for the person researching Wol~owiec family of
                          > > > Smarzowa...the LDS FHL has a large collection of Siedliska
                          Bogusz
                          > > > Roman Catholic church vital record books on microfilm:

                          http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.a
                          > > > sp?display=topicdetails&subject=640746&subject_disp=Austria%
                          > > > 2C+Galizien%2C+Siedliska+Bogusz+%2D+Church+records&columns=*,0,0
                          > > >
                          > > > ______
                          > > >
                          > > > Lavrentiy
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta Janina
                          W󪣩k

                        • wmskluzresearch
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 5, 2008
                            Thank you everyone for all your input. I have different avenues to
                            pursue which I didn't know existed. All of you are quite knowledgeable
                            and I am extremely grateful for the time you took to answer one
                            question!
                            Weso³ych Œwi¹t!
                            Cindy K.