Pronunciation of Bajla and Given Name, Surname Questions

  • Against Double Standards
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
      I found the following listing through JewishGen, which is a a record for the birth of Szymon Wolf, born 1879 to Herman RING and Bajla Mirl BAT.

      Would someone know how to phonetically offer the pronunciation of Bajla?Is there any chance someone with this given name would be referred to as Barbara?
      Is Mirl the surname of the mother, or something else?
      Would the child take the surname of RING of the surname of the mother?
      Thank you in advance for any response.
      Searching BLOCH, DZIEKIEWICZ, KWASNY, and RING:
      http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/k/e/n/Nancy-R-Kendrick/?Welcome=1018348985
      Nancy

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
        Bajla/Baila/Bayla

        several interpretations are possible

        Baila (Bayla) is Yiddish version of Bela. Bela is east slavic word
        for white.

        Or, Yiddish form of Hebrew Bilha, which means troubled.

        Or, Yiddish form of Latin bela, which means "beautiful one". French
        belle.

        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Against Double

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
          Against Double Standards wrote:

          > Is there any chance someone with this given name would be referred to
          as Barbara?

          Barbara and Baila are not translations.

          > Is Mirl the surname of the mother, or something else?

          Miril/Mirl is a version of Miryam.