Many immigrants of same name going to the same place

  • ladyguilford
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 26 4:17 AM
      Someone mentioned not being able to decide amongst a number of different
      Ellis Island entries for people of the same name (the one she wanted)
      going to roughly the same place. (Sorry, I've lost which posting that
      was.)

      Depending on the dates, she may find they are in fact the same person.
      We need to remember that not everybody who went to North America
      intended to stay there, even if the streets were found to be paved in
      gold, as widely rumoured. As we know, many men (usually) came to the US
      or Canada, worked for a year or three (presumably sweeping gold up off
      the streets in the evenings). They were often married men, who had left
      their families at home. I have one or two in my tree whose wives simply
      refused to leave the village. The men went back and forth, staying at
      home for perhaps a year. It was their determined intention to earn as
      much money in North American as they could, largely for buying land back
      in or near their own village, where they intended to live happily ever
      after. The last time one of my great-uncles went back was in about
      1938. 'Happily ever after' did not last so long.

      Sandra Guilford

    • Ann Poslosky
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 26 5:02 PM
        Hello Sandra,

        The message was #22658 posted by me; your right about how some men went back and forth; working, then returning home. There is a possibility of one of my Gygory's  having arrived in 1900; then again in 1905 or 1906.  I'm still looking them over, and over, and over.
        Thanks for your email.
        Ann

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 27 7:00 AM
          Let us hear your findings, when you have found them!

          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Ann Poslosky
          <aposlosky@...> wrote:

          > Hello Sandra,
          >
          > The message was #22658 posted by me; your right about how some men
          went back and forth; working, then returning home. There is a
          possibility of one of my Gygory's� having arrived in 1900; then
          again in 1905 or 1906.� I'm still looking them over, and over, and
          over.
          > Thanks for your email.�
          > Ann

        • Thyme Trax
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 27 8:14 AM
            Aniu it is true one of my mothers relatives had come to USA to make some money, returning to his family in Kresy Wschodnie near Zloczow.  Sadly to be deported to Syberia in February 10, 1940 then once again to arrive in the USA  after doing a tour with General Anders.
            http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/people_anders_wladyslaw.html
            pzdr. Krysia

            <aposlosky@. ..> wrote:

            > Hello Sandra,
            >
            > The message was #22658 posted by me; your right about how some men
            went back and forth; working, then returning home. There is a
            possibility of one of my Gygory's� having arrived in 1900; then
            again in 1905 or 1906.� I'm still looking them over, and over, and
            over.
            > Thanks for your email.�
            > Ann

          • Mary
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 27 11:53 AM
              Ann,

              Looks like a spreadsheet would help you sort out these fellows - where they were born, last residence, destination, date born, date landed, (any date related that you find), where settled in US, etc.  Everything you find about one person would go in the spreadsheet.  Just keep adding columns.  You could also use mapping of Hungary and US locations for the Ivancsos; some people put colored pins on the maps to show locations of individuals.

              This site for the US Census still appears to be accessible; click on Genealogy & Research Tools, then on Heritage Quest Online:
              http://www.butlercenter.org/genealogy/index.html

              It seems to me that you were at one time researching Ivancsos from Ortuto; is this still true?  Are you looking for a particular Gyorgy?  Did all the Ivancsos you are researching live in Luzerne County, PA?

              For example, this George had been in Hazleton from 1897-1900, brother Peter
              Ivanco, George    Ortuto    28    1873    1901
              http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=605300030090

              This Gyorgi had been in Bradenville (Westmoreland Co.), PA from 1900-1904; in 1910, he left his wife Maria in Hungary:
              Ivanceo, Gyorgy    Banyapatak, Hungary    29    1881    1910
              http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=101483060177

              Try searching for manifests with first name beginning "G" and surname beginning "Ivan" and you will find more Gyorgy's from Hungary.  (Ellis Island: http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html)

              Regards,
              Mary

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 27 7:39 PM
                Hi Krysia,

                Thank you for your thoughts/ideas and information.  There were a couple of immigrant ancestors on my husband's paternal side who came over twice.  Those were a piece of cake compared to the maternal side which is like a nightmare.  I'll keep at it.
                 But, I'm sorry about your mother's relative who got sent to Siberia; thankfully he was released after 1940.

                Ann

                From: ladyguilford <sandra.guilford@ googlemail. com>

                To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                Date: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 7:00 AM

                <aposlosky@. ..> wrote:

                > Hello Sandra,

                > The message was #22658 posted by me; your right about how some men

                went back and forth; working, then returning home. There is a

                possibility of one of my Gygory's� having arrived in 1900; then

                again in 1905 or 1906.� I'm still looking them over, and over, and

                over.

                > Thanks for your email.�

                > Ann

              • Ann Poslosky
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 27 10:16 PM
                  Hi Mary,

                  So nice to hear from you; thanks for the suggestion of the spreadsheet.  You know, I had one, but after your email I redid it with only the Ivansco's and added more columns as you suggested.  I spent most of this day working on your suggestions and checking out the "one step" site; the Ellis Island site is more favored for me in many ways, but I recently renewed Ancesty again for 3 more months and tried to find the George Ivanco from Ortutova on their site; they don't have it; thats the one you provided the link for below.   Why I like Ancestry is I can print out a copy of the manifest; have it in my hands, kind of thing!!!  I cannot do that from Ellis Island, even with the instructions someone sent me a while back. It prints in miniature.

                  Ancestry has a maifest which I couldn't find on the Ellis site.  I am going to post it to the files section.  About now, I think I go "ortutova fever".

                  To answer your question, Mary, yes I am searching the Ivanscos from Ortutova.  In particular, I am hunting for Maria Ivansco's father, Gyorgy.  Just a while ago, I sent an email to the group, an answer to Richard Custer's reply about the ship manifest which I posted a few days ago.  Its a bit more detailed and rather than repeat it again, hopefully, you will read the email.

                  Thanks so much Mary.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 28 8:29 AM
                    Thanks, Ann.  With the letter to Richard and this one, some things are now in perspective as I remember and view previous posts.  I seem to remember that Maria was not happy when her father contacted her at some point.

                    Maria was b. abt. 1888, so even if her father were 15 when she was born, Gyorgy would be born before 1873; that should be a help in narrowing the manifest search as well as knowing locations in Hungary relative to Ortutova.   For example, it rules out a Gyorgy born in 1881.   I hate to tell you that there are also Gyrogys listed under surname Ivanko and other variations, when I use Ellis Island search for surname starts with Ivan, ethnicity Hungarian.  There is also the possibility that he travelled with someone else's papers, God forbid.

                    As far as printing things from Ellis Island, using Steve Morse Ship Lists, armed with the Page # listed on the manifest page, the page can be found; right click and choose the save as or copy image option.  Don't know if this is as effective as Ancestry's jpeg file.

                    (I've put Ivancso in the subject line so I can find this thread in a search of the posts in the future.)

                    From: ladyguilford <sandra.guilford@ googlemail. com>

                    same place

                    To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 28 8:36 AM
                      Witaj Aniu;
                      you inspire me to continue  with my search for information.
                      Yes, thank you this family branch on my maternal side is safely in the USA now.
                      Pozdrawiam Krysia

                      <aposlosky@. ..> wrote:

                      > Hello Sandra,

                      > The message was #22658 posted by me; your right about how some men

                      went back and forth; working, then returning home. There is a

                      possibility of one of my Gygory's� having arrived in 1900; then

                      again in 1905 or 1906.� I'm still looking them over, and over, and

                      over.

                      > Thanks for your email.�

                      > Ann

                    • Ann Poslosky
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 28 9:28 PM
                        Hi Mary,

                        The archives show I was asking a lot of Ivansco questions.  It just shows what happens when you take the good eye off the ball or let time lapse in between.  Sorry for any repetitions.  Geez, Lavrentiy will be directing me to the Archives now; and, with good reason.  It was that age factor involved between father and daughter that was troublesome.  On one email you even told me I would not like his age, referring to Gryorgy coming on the Zeeland in 1901.   Didn't think of a young 15 year old getting married...I was thinking 17 to 20.  That list you refer to about the Gyrogys under Ivanko; I have them printed out as well.  You wonder why I'm nutty!!!  Going to try printing out that page, which Ancesty doesn't have, using your method.  I'll let you know if I can do it.

                        Since you recalled those previous posts, you will probably recall my nephew was searching for the gravesite of Gyorgy.  I found his WWI Draft Registration card giving his date of birth as 1875.  If that is correct he was 46 in 1918.  Two years later on the 1920 census his estimated birth year was 1888; and his name was spelled George Evenchick and George Ivenchick.  Isn't that nice?  We are still waiting for courthouse records as to where his remains are.  I will say this makes me very, very sad; this poor man didn't have a good life in the golden streets of the US.  On that draft reg card where they ask about family he answered "not any".  This is why I want to find the right guy; it brings me to tears and I didn't even know him.   He was my husband's great grandfather.  Thanks Mary.

                        Ann

                        From: Ann Poslosky <aposlosky@yahoo. com>

                        the same place

                        To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                        From: ladyguilford <sandra.guilford@ googlemail. com>

                        same place

                        To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                          From: Ann Poslosky <aposlosky@yahoo. com>

                          the same place

                          To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                          From: ladyguilford <sandra.guilford@ googlemail. com>

                          same place

                          To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 29 8:30 AM
                            Ann,

                            Now, you can insert a first column in your spreadsheet.  For these two men, you would type NO, so you will not search for them any further; if you wish, you can add reason: wrong age.

                            From: Ann Poslosky <aposlosky@yahoo. com>

                            the same place

                            To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                            From: ladyguilford <sandra.guilford@ googlemail. com>

                            same place

                            To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 29 1:25 PM
                              Hi Mary,

                              Maria was born November 21,1888.  Her death certificate from the state of Pa. gives her age at 62 at time of death...April 22, 1951.
                              Ann

                              From: Ann Poslosky <aposlosky@yahoo. com>

                              the same place

                              To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                              From: Mary <siemionresearcher@ yahoo.com>

                              the

                              same place

                              To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                              From: Ann Poslosky <aposlosky@yahoo. com>

                              the same place

                              To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                              From: ladyguilford <sandra.guilford@ googlemail. com>

                              same place

                              To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 29 4:00 PM
                                Hello Krysia,

                                Gee, thank you.  I can't image why.  I feel so lost in this particular challenge, but if your inspired by me for whatever reason I'm happy.  I've spent many years in sales and the first thing I learned was that your never a loser until you give up.  So, don't give up.

                                Ann

                                From: Ann Poslosky <aposlosky@yahoo. com>

                                To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                                From: ladyguilford <sandra.guilford@ googlemail. com>

                                To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                                Date: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 7:00 AM

                                <aposlosky@. ..> wrote:

                                > Hello Sandra,

                                > The message was #22658 posted by me; your right about how some men

                                went back and forth; working, then returning home. There is a

                                possibility of one of my Gygory's� having arrived in 1900; then

                                again in 1905 or 1906.� I'm still looking them over, and over, and

                                over.

                                > Thanks for your email.�

                                > Ann

                                > --- On Fri, 9/26/08, ladyguilford sandra.guilford@ ... wrote:

                                > From: ladyguilford sandra.guilford@ ...

                                > Subject: [Galicia_Poland- Ukraine] Many immigrants of same name going

                                to the same place

                                > To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com

                                > Date: Friday, September 26, 2008, 4:17 AM

                                > Someone mentioned not being able to decide amongst a number of

                                different

                                > Ellis Island entries for people of the same name (the one she wanted)

                                > going to roughly the same place. (Sorry, I've lost which posting that

                                > was.)

                                > Depending on the dates, she may find they are in fact the same person.

                                > We need to remember that not everybody who went to North America

                                > intended to stay there, even if the streets were found to be paved in

                                > gold, as widely rumoured. As we know, many men (usually) came to the

                                US

                                > or Canada, worked for a year or three (presumably sweeping gold up off

                                > the streets in the evenings). They were often married men, who had

                                left

                                > their families at home. I have one or two in my tree whose wives

                                simply

                                > refused to leave the village. The men went back and forth, staying at

                                > home for perhaps a year. It was their determined intention to earn as

                                > much money in North American as they could, largely for buying land

                                back

                                > in or near their own village, where they intended to live happily ever

                                > after. The last time one of my great-uncles went back was in about

                                > 1938. 'Happily ever after' did not last so long.

                                > Sandra Guilford

                              • Thyme Trax
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 30 8:32 AM
                                  Hi Ann thanks for good advice, I'll do my best.

                                  pozdrawiamKrysia