Is this a real word? If so, what does it mean?

  • a_spry
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
      Hi group!

      I recall when I was little, my father would say, "Look up there!" while
      pointing to the ceiling and when I would look up, he would quickly
      flick my neck (under my chin) and say something that sounded to me
      like "pishlichka!"

      Has anyone else ever heard of this? What does it mean? Where did it
      come from? Or is it just something he made up? He's gone now so I
      can't ask him.

      Just curious. Thanks!

      Alida
    • a_spry
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2008
        No responses I see.....

        Well, if it helps any, my grandfather was from Leszczyny and my
        grandmother was from Sierakosce.

        Thanks,

        Alida

        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "a_spry" <a_spry@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi group!
        >
        > I recall when I was little, my father would say, "Look up there!"
        while
        > pointing to the ceiling and when I would look up, he would quickly
        > flick my neck (under my chin) and say something that sounded to me
        > like "pishlichka!"
        >
        > Has anyone else ever heard of this? What does it mean? Where did it
        > come from? Or is it just something he made up? He's gone now so I
        > can't ask him.
        >
        > Just curious. Thanks!
        >
        > Alida

      • Danuta Janina Wójcik
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2008
          Witaj Alida,

          I gave it a try but not quite sure, what pischlichka would mean. Where you
          a little squeaker as a child? :) It was your father's distraction game to
          get your attention.

          piszczeć - is to whine or squeak

          pisnać - is to scream

          Leszczyny are hazel nut trees.

          Pozdrawiam,
          Danuta

          > Well, if it helps any, my grandfather was from Leszczyny and my
          > grandmother was from Sierakosce.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Alida
          >
          > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "a_spry" <a_spry@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi group!
          >>
          >> I recall when I was little, my father would say, "Look up there!"
          > while
          >> pointing to the ceiling and when I would look up, he would quickly
          >> flick my neck (under my chin) and say something that sounded to me
          >> like "pishlichka!"
          >>
          >> Has anyone else ever heard of this? What does it mean? Where did it
          >> come from? Or is it just something he made up? He's gone now so I
          >> can't ask him.
          >>
          >> Just curious. Thanks!
          >>
          >> Alida

        • a_spry
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 11, 2008
            Thank you Danuta!

            I'll have to ask my mom. I think I was pretty quiet as a child and I
            don't recall squeaking but you never know! Your explanation is the
            only one I've gotten so far. It seems to make sense though.

            Take care,

            Alida

            --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta Janina Wójcik
            <sandlily@...> wrote:

            > Witaj Alida,
            >
            > I gave it a try but not quite sure, what pischlichka would mean.
            Where you
            > a little squeaker as a child? :) It was your father's distraction
            game to
            > get your attention.
            >
            > piszczeć - is to whine or squeak
            >
            > pisnać - is to scream
            >
            > Leszczyny are hazel nut trees.
            >
            > Pozdrawiam,
            > Danuta

          • Thyme Trax
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 11, 2008
              Alida I found this one for you perhaps� the spelling is a a bit
              different but the sentiment is the same� you were�much �loved.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAUi46zI704
              regards Krysia

              --- In Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com, Danuta Janina W��jcik
              <sandlily@.. .> wrote:

              > Witaj Alida,
              >
              > I gave it a try but not quite sure, what pischlichka would mean.
              Where you
              > a little squeaker as a child? :) It was your father's distraction
              game to
              > get your attention.
              >
              > piszcze�� - is to whine or squeak
              >
              > pisna�� - is to scream
              >
              > Leszczyny are hazel nut trees.
              >
              > Pozdrawiam,
              > Danuta

            • Danuta Janina Wójcik
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 11, 2008
                Witaj,

                Very cute video, Krysiu. Another word for darling or pet is pieszczocha
                (feminine) - (pyesh-cho-khah) The word pieszczoch could also mean "pet,
                loved child".

                Pozdrawiam,
                Danuta

                --- In Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com, Danuta Janina WĂłjcik
                <sandlily@.. .> wrote:

                > Witaj Alida,
                >
                > I gave it a try but not quite sure, what pischlichka would mean.
                Where you
                > a little squeaker as a child? :) It was your father's distraction
                game to
                > get your attention.
                >
                > piszczeć - is to whine or squeak
                >
                > pisnać - is to scream
                >
                > Leszczyny are hazel nut trees.
                >
                > Pozdrawiam,
                > Danuta

              • Danuta Janina Wójcik
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 11, 2008
                  Witaj,

                  Here is another lovely squeaker-piszczalka. :)

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZWlRl0etuM&feature=related

                  Pozdrawiam,
                  Danuta

                  <sandlily@.. .> wrote:

                  > Witaj Alida,
                  >
                  > I gave it a try but not quite sure, what pischlichka would mean.
                  Where you
                  > a little squeaker as a child? :) It was your father's distraction
                  game to
                  > get your attention.
                  >
                  > piszczeć - is to whine or squeak
                  >
                  > pisnać - is to scream
                  >
                  > Leszczyny are hazel nut trees.
                  >
                  > Pozdrawiam,
                  > Danuta

                • Thyme Trax
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
                    kochana
                    that's my cat daisy for sure LOL she is moja mala pieszczoszka

                     Krysia