Re: Ellis Island Record

    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
      Ortut'ova (Ortuto) is in Slovakia. Ivaskovytsa (Ivaskofalva) is in
      the Zakarpatska oblast (Transcarpathian province) of Ukraine.

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Ann Poslosky
      <aposlosky@...> wrote:

      > Mary,
      >
      > You have no idea how many times I looked at that George Ivanco
      thinking he could be the one; but the age always says to me, no.?
      But, maybe the ages were not truthful in the case of his daughter
      Maria; maybe she was less than 20 when she arrived.? On her death
      certificate she was born on Nov. 21,1888.? On the 1910 census, 2
      years after her arrival, she was 19.? The same year she was married,
      on the marriage license application she gave her birthdate as May,
      1889 making her 21.? Maybe George was a father at 15 or 16; right now
      I'm saying anything is possible.? The fact that Ivanco's went to
      Hazleton makes it even more possible that George was her father.?? I
      think age became a convenience tool.? Be older for the crossing over
      the Atlantic; be younger on a census; but be 21 for marriage
      application because in Pa. under 21, you needed parental or guardian
      consent.? My nephew is a sweetheart; we live 2800 miles apart, but he
      is really trying to
      > find this guy.
      >
      > Thanks Mary.?
      > Ann

      It sure looks like you are well on your way with your nephew
      helping!

      > Notice Istvan Ivancso from Ortuto going to his brother-in-law Fedor
      in 1904 in Hazleton, aboard The Neckar.

      > http://www.ellisisl and.org/search/ shipManifest. asp?pID=10256904
      0171

      > George Ivanco from Ortuto to Hazleton in 1901 going to his brother
      Peter in Hazleton; he had been in the US from 1897-1900 prior to this
      trip:

> [...]
      >
      > > Record
      >
      > > To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com
      >
      > > Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 12:58 PM
      >

      > > Ann,
      >

      > > Questions, questions, questions.
      >

      > > Was the daughter from Hungary? Did she immigrate through
      >
      > > Ellis Island? Seems like her father would have been from
      >
      > > the same town. Did the daughter live in Pittsburgh. Have
      >
      > > you found the daughter in the US census?
      >

      > > Regards,
      >

      > > Mary
      >

      > > --- On Wed, 7/2/08, Ann Poslosky <aposlosky@yahoo.
      >
      > > com> wrote:
      >

      > > > From: Ann Poslosky <aposlosky@yahoo. com>
      >

      > > > Subject: Re: [Galicia_Poland- Ukraine] Re: Ellis
      >
      > > Island Record
      >

      > > > To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com
      >

      > > > Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 3:30 PM
      >

      > > > I am just searching for Ivansco's; hoping by dumb
      >
      > > luck
      >

      > > > to hit on the right record; there are many; we always
      >

      > > > thought the guy's name was Gyorgy (George), but I
      >

      > > > can't find one that was born in the 1864 time
      >
      > > frame.
      >

      > > > At this point, Fedor might be the right guy...Rusnak
      >
      > > is
      >

      > > > probably a very good possibility. The story was that
      >
      > > he
      >

      > > > was married and they had a daughter. The mother died
      >
      > > when
      >

      > > > the child was about 7; the father then left the child
      >
      > > with
      >

      > > > relatives to be raised, more or less abandoning her.
      >
      > > He
      >

      > > > came to the US before the daughter, who got here in
      >
      > > 1908.
      >

      > > > After the daughter got settled with a job as a
      >
      > > servant;
      >

      > > > then; she got married and they were raising a family.
      >

      > > > Her father then came to her as he was down on his
      >
      > > luck, no
      >

      > > > job, etc. She refused to help him in his time of
      >
      > > need.
      >

      > > > He ended up in the poor house where he died. This
      >

      > > > research is a conundrum.
      >

      > > > Thanks Lavrentiy.
      >

      > > > Ann
      >

      > > > --- On Wed, 7/2/08, krupniak <Lkrupnak@erols.
      >
      > > com>
      >

      > > > wrote:
      >

      > > > From: krupniak <Lkrupnak@erols. com>
      >

      > > > Subject: [Galicia_Poland- Ukraine] Re: Ellis Island
      >
      > > Record
      >

      > > > To: Galicia_Poland- Ukraine@yahoogro ups.com
      >

      > > > Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 8:38 AM
      >

      > > > I don't tyhink that Fedor was a Slovak...he was
      >

      > > > probably a Rusnak.
      >

      > > > Slovaks don't use Fedor, which is Theodore. His
      >

      > > > village was a Rusnak
      >

      > > > village.
      >

      > > > Lavrentiy

      > > > "acquaitance' ?? Fedor (I which I could
      >
      > > > explain Fedor)? I was going to ask is that a Ukrainian
      >

      > > > name.? This
      >
      > > > guy was from Hungary' s partition.? He was a
      >
      > > Slovak.?
      >

      > > > Thanks for the
      >
      > > > lead; on the name place.? You could be right?? I'm

    • Lorne & Sylvia
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
        Ann,

        I followed very little on this subject, so correct me if I missed something.

        Could the person you are searching for be:
        Gyorgy Ivanko ... married ... from Dubronice ... ethnicity Hungarian ... arrived 1901 ... age on arrival 37 (makes his birth date 1864) ... going to join his brother in law Petro Sz..... 410 Washington ... Scranton PA
        http://www.ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?MID=11531535890066857312&FNM=G&LNM=IVANKO&PLNM=IVANKO&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1

        Try:
        http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp

        Matches his first name and birth date???

        Sylvia

> [...]

        > determined

        > > ....is probably

        > > > Ivaskofalva which is Ivashkovytsa, Ukraine.

        > > > Lavrentiy

        > Island

        > > Record, but the url

        > > is

        > > > very long and I can't get it into a more

        > readable

        > > size.? If it

        > > > doesn't work, I'll give it another try.?

        > The

        > > record is for Fedor

        > > > Ivansco who arried in N. Y. from Fiume on the SS

        > > Ultonia.? The text

        > > > manifest shows he is on line # 0006; he is 41 yrs

        > old

        > > from

        > > > Ivaskofalva, Hungary.? My question is where was

        > he

        > > going; it looks

        > > > like someplace in Pittsburg, Pa., but I can't

      • Ann Poslosky
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
          Hi Sylvia,

          Thanks for the link; I didn't consider him before, but when I checked the map it is only 559 km from Ortuto where the daughter was born...I used Bardejvov for an idea of the distance. Today, you could drive in 6 and 1/2 hours from Dobrovince to the Bardjejov; so anything is possible; I just don't have enough "concrete" information yet from records.
          Thanks.

          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 4, 2008
            Ann,

            Which Dubrowice or Dubrowice did you use to calculate distance to
            Bardejov?

            <aposlosky@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sylvia,
            >
            > Thanks for the link; I didn't consider him before, but when I
            checked the map it is only 559 km from Ortuto where the daughter was
            born...I used Bardejvov for an idea of the distance. Today, you could
            drive in 6 and 1/2 hours from Dobrovince to the Bardjejov; so
            anything is possible; I just don't have enough "concrete" information
            yet from records.?
            > Thanks.?
            > Ann

          • Ann Poslosky
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 4, 2008
              http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp

              Lavrentiy, using the site above which Sylvia sent to me, I used the town Dubronice from the manifest.  I typed it into the town search using Hungary as the country; used "sounds like method" and "capitol city of relevant country".  Dabronc comes up...and maps...I used the G map (Google) to get directions to Bardejov which is now in NE Slovakia, on the Polish border.
              This isn't brain surgery, just for an idea if it could be possible for Marie's father to move there.  So, I am collecting all relevant clues until I get more information.  In April, I ordered an LDS film; it came in three days ago, and because of other commitments  I can't check it out for two weeks.  So, LDS is very slow right now; I guess they are busy "digitalizing".

              Ann

            • Chris Smolinski
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 4, 2008
                >http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp
                >
                >Lavrentiy, using the site above which Sylvia sent to me, I used the
                >town Dubronice from the manifest. I typed it into the town search
                >using Hungary as the country; used "sounds like method" and "capitol
                >city of relevant country". Dabronc comes up...and maps...I used the
                >G map (Google) to get directions to Bardejov which is now in NE
                >Slovakia, on the Polish border.
                >This isn't brain surgery, just for an idea if it could be possible
                >for Marie's father to move there. So, I am collecting all relevant
                >clues until I get more information. In April, I ordered an LDS
                >film; it came in three days ago, and because of other commitments I
                >can't check it out for two weeks. So, LDS is very slow right now; I
                >guess they are busy "digitalizing".

                What I have heard (from several sources) is that they are waiting
                longer to make additional copies of films. If you order a film and
                all the copies are on loan, they will wait until a film comes back
                in, or until all the existing films out go to indefinite loan, at
                which point they will make an additional copy.

                Several films I ordered in February are just now arriving, the ones
                that have arrived so far all look like brand new copies.

                I wish there was a box on the order form to check to say "I am going
                to put this film on indefinite loan anyway, so go ahead and make a
                copy for my FHC", it would speed things up :-)

                --

                ---
                Chris Smolinski
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 4, 2008
                  /

                  Ann, Gyorgy was from Dubrowice.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 4, 2008
                    Ann

                    I think that the Mokotoff-Daitch soundex system will give different
                    places for Dubrowice and Dubronice. Plus, just don't use modern
                    Hungary for Hungary prior to WWI was a much larger country..included
                    Sl;ovakia, parts of Ukraine, parts of Romania, parts of former
                    Yugoslavia, etc.

                    Try Dubrowice and all Eastern Europe then selct only places which
                    were in former Hungary.

                    --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                    <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                    > /
                    >

                    > Ann, Gyorgy was from Dubrowice.
                    >

                    > -- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Ann Poslosky
                    > <aposlosky@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp
                    > >
                    > > Lavrentiy, using the site above which Sylvia sent to me, I used
                    the
                    > town Dubronice from the manifest.? I typed it into the town search
                    > using Hungary as the country; used "sounds like method"
                    and "capitol
                    > city of relevant country".? Dabronc comes up...and maps...I used
                    the
                    > G map (Google) to get directions to Bardejov which is now in NE
                    > Slovakia, on the Polish border.?
                    > > This isn't brain surgery, just for an idea if it could be
                    possible
                    > for Marie's father to move there.? So, I am collecting all relevant
                    > clues until I get more information.? In April, I ordered an LDS
                    film;
                    > it came in three days ago, and because of other commitments? I
                    can't
                    > check it out for two weeks.? So, LDS is very slow right now; I
                    guess
                    > they are busy "digitalizing".
                    > >
                    > > Ann

                  • Ann Poslosky
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 4, 2008
                      Chris,

                      Thanks for sharing that information about the LDS films.  I will probably end up putting it on indefinite loan as well.

                      Ann