What is the English version of Lurii

  • Ann Poslosky
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
       Lavrentiy,

      Can you tell me what the English version of Lurii is?  On one record Maria's father is Lurii, not George.

      Thanks.  Ann

    • Roman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2008
        Ann,

        Are you sure? Perhaps the record says Juri, and that is George.

        Roman

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
          Hello Ann,

          Is "Lurii" perhaps Iurii/Yuriy.

          Provide the URL of Maria's arrival record.

          Yuriy is one of several spellings for George that Eastern Slav's
          use. Recall Dr. Zhivago:

          Yuri Zhivago:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSgryyxp-cg

          ... Poles use Jerzy, while most other western Slavs modify Georgius,
          the Latin version. Georgius is from the Greek name Georgios.

          Ann Poslosky wrote:

          > ?Lavrentiy,
          >
          > Can you tell me what the English version of Lurii is?? On one
          record Maria's father is Lurii, not George.?

          > Thanks.? Ann

        • Ann Poslosky
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
            Hi Roman & Lavrentiy,

            I just uploaded the file in question to the files section.  It was translated for me by a most knowledgeable man; so what do you read?  By the way, Lavrentiy, thanks for sharing the clip of Dr. Zhivago.  Thanks.

            Ann

            Ann Poslosky wrote:

            > ?Lavrentiy,

            > Can you tell me what the English version of Lurii is?? On one

            record Maria's father is Lurii, not George.?

            > Thanks.? Ann

          • Roman
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
              Ann,

              I assume you are interested in the name on the last line. Although I
              find Cyrillic handwriting somewhat difficult to read (since I haven't
              practiced writing it for a very long time), the name seems to be Юрй,
              that is, Jurij.

              Others, of course, are welcome to correct me.

              Roman

              Ann Poslosky wrote:
              > Hi Roman & Lavrentiy,
              >
              > I just uploaded the file in question to the files section. It was translated for me by a most knowledgeable man; so what do you read? By the way, Lavrentiy, thanks for sharing the clip of Dr. Zhivago. Thanks.
              >
              > Ann

            • Ann Poslosky
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
                Roman,

                Yes, the last line; Jurij...that would be a version of George.� I think that the original translator made a typo error when sending me the information, because I know he is quite knowledgeable.� I will say, Roman, I cannot wait to finish with this Cyrillic side of the family.� The sooner the better, too because it seems one step forward, and three backward; it seems I'm standing in one spot.� Thanks again and Happy Independence Day to all.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2008
                  Ann,

                  Roman's and my initial guesses were correct..the name is Iuriy,
                  not Luriy. The text that you scanned and uploaded in the image
                  confirm that.

                  BTW, to everyone, when you have questions and have an image
                  always upload the image to save everybody a lot of time.

                  Iuriy (or other English spelling forms such as Juriy, Yuriy,
                  etc.) is one* Eastern Slav version of Georgios (George in English).

                  * Ukrainians use Heorhiy, and Russians use Georgiy. George is
                  one of several names that appears in different forms in different
                  cultures, for example George in Germ can be found as Jo~rg.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2008
                    Iuriy Dolgorukiy, founder of Moskva (Moscow):

                    http://www.visitrussia.com/guide/gallery-moscow-dolgoruky.htm

                    --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                    <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                    > Ann,
                    >
                    > Roman's and my initial guesses were correct..the name is Iuriy,
                    > not Luriy. The text that you scanned and uploaded in the image
                    > confirm that.
                    >
                    > BTW, to everyone, when you have questions and have an image
                    > always upload the image to save everybody a lot of time.
                    >
                    > Iuriy (or other English spelling forms such as Juriy, Yuriy,
                    > etc.) is one* Eastern Slav version of Georgios (George in English).
                    >
                    > * Ukrainians use Heorhiy, and Russians use Georgiy. George is
                    > one of several names that appears in different forms in different
                    > cultures, for example George in Germ can be found as Jo~rg.

                    > Ann Poslosky wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Roman,
                    > >
                    > > Yes, the last line; Jurij...that would be a version of George.? I
                    > think that the original translator made a typo error when sending
                    me
                    > the information, because I know he is quite knowledgeable.? I will
                    > say, Roman, I cannot wait to finish with this Cyrillic side of the
                    > family.? The sooner the better, too because it seems one step
                    > forward, and three backward; it seems I'm standing in one spot.?
                    > Thanks again and Happy Independence Day to all.
                    > >
                    > > Ann

                    Ù¬

                    > > that is, Jurij.
                    > >

                    > > Others, of course, are welcome to correct me.
                    > >

                    > > Roman
                    > >

                    > > Ann Poslosky wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Hi Roman & Lavrentiy,
                    > >

                    > > > I just uploaded the file in question to the files section. It
                    > was translated for me by a most knowledgeable man; so what do you
                    > read? By the way, Lavrentiy, thanks for sharing the clip of Dr.
                    > Zhivago. Thanks.
                    > >

                    > > > Ann

                  • Ann Poslosky
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2008
                      Hi Lavrentiy,

                      Thanks for the history lesson about Moscov.  I learn something new every day here.  Thanks, very interesting.

                      <Lkrupnak@.. .> wrote:

                      > Ann,

                      > Roman's and my initial guesses were correct..the name is Iuriy,

                      > not Luriy. The text that you scanned and uploaded in the image

                      > confirm that.

                      > BTW, to everyone, when you have questions and have an image

                      > always upload the image to save everybody a lot of time.

                      > Iuriy (or other English spelling forms such as Juriy, Yuriy,

                      > etc.) is one* Eastern Slav version of Georgios (George in English).

                      > * Ukrainians use Heorhiy, and Russians use Georgiy. George is

                      > one of several names that appears in different forms in different

                      > cultures, for example George in Germ can be found as Jo~rg.

                      > Ann Poslosky wrote:

                      > > Roman,

                      > > Yes, the last line; Jurij...that would be a version of George.? I

                      > think that the original translator made a typo error when sending

                      me

                      > the information, because I know he is quite knowledgeable. ? I will

                      > say, Roman, I cannot wait to finish with this Cyrillic side of the

                      > family.? The sooner the better, too because it seems one step

                      > forward, and three backward; it seems I'm standing in one spot.?

                      > Thanks again and Happy Independence Day to all.

                      > > Ann

                      Ù¬