FINIK or FINNIK Nizankowice E.I. records

  • Helen Ginn
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
      Listers:

      Is anyone researching the above-mentioned surname from NIZANKOWICE ?

      Film 2385331,not yet listed in the library catalogue has baptismal records for FINIK or FINNIK as showing on Ellis Island.

      The ability to capture the image has been removed by E.I. unfortunately. I have information to share if there are any connections to this name.

      Helen Ginn

    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
        To copy the images from Ellis Island web site, the easiers method for
        me is to right click on the image as you would to copy it, and then
        look for the little graphical menu of options that appears on the
        picture when you close the note saying that copying is disabled. Click
        on the second square on the graphical menu to copy the picture.

        If that fails, you have to locate the folder where your computer
        automatically stores temporary internet files. I generally sort the
        temporary files by size, from large to small & keep an eye on the
        large files when I click 'download large image' from Ellis Island.
        The new large file that appears is your image. Right click and "open
        in a new window" and you can save that image.

        Ron

        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Helen Ginn

      • bobbysushi@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
          I merely right click on the image and select 'copy to clipboard '.
          Then paste it into your image program of choice to edit/rename/save
          etc. Easy.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
            Helen Ginn wrote:

            > Listers:
            >
            > Is anyone researching the above-mentioned surname from
            NIZANKOWICE ?

            > Film 2385331,not yet listed in the library catalogue has baptismal
            records

            It's part of the L'viv GC Consistory Collection. I have no idea when
            FHL will include those parish/place names in the catalog. Some group
            in Canada was helping LDS FHL do that ... but I have not seen any
            results of that effort...maybe it was somebody's pipe dream.

            > for FINIK or FINNIK as showing on Ellis Island.
            >
            > The ability to capture the image has been removed by E.I.
            unfortunately.

            Please explain what you see.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
              Thanks Ron...there is always a way to get around any roadblock.

              --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Matviyak"

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
                So Ellis Island wants people to purchase images for $25.00. Don't
                there computer experts know that people can get around their
                roadblock?

                Ellis Island should make available images only available via on-site
                Island computers where they would earn even more money by having
                people visit the place (spend money to dine and shop the souvenir
                shops, etc.). I was there twice...very interesting place, but I
                spent no money. If everybody was like me stores, amusemant parks,
                etc. would go out of business in a few weeks.

                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, bobbysushi@... wrote:

                > I merely right click on the image and select 'copy to clipboard '.
                > Then paste it into your image program of choice to edit/rename/save
                > etc. Easy.

              • edward potereiko
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
                  It appears they have come down in price quite a bit.
                  Last time I had checked they were charging $35 per page with the caveat that many images extended across two pages, so the cost for each manifest image, enlarged to the point of legibility would have been $70, on their special paper, suitable for framing.

                  This did not take into account shipping costs.

                  Now it appears they have combined both pages of the manifest book into one long image, which would mean you would have to spring for the larger printed image, costing $35 to which you add $7 for shipping and handling and you have a nice $42 bill for a copy of one manifest.

                  Now considering you are doing research, you may have 30-50 images you would like, i.e., names the same as or similar to yours, i.e., possible people who might be related and you can see that if all you wanted was the data from those pages you would either have to hand-copy it or pay $35 x 50 images or $1750.00 plus $25 shipping and handling.

                  I can't afford that, not just for research.

                  I put up two plaques on their Wall of Honor, cost $200.  I have maintained a yearly membership, for most years, but I do get incensed when they disabled the copy image function on the enlarged images.

                  Sorry, I am not a money machine or bank that can just dispense money on demand.

                  Sincerely yours,
                  Edward Potereiko 719-576-0752
                  3169 Blue Mountain Way, Colo Springs, CO 80906-4502
                  edwardp@...
                  [This e-mail was created with voice recognition software]

                  Surnames I am researching in my families genealogy
                  Poterejko / Poteryjko / ÏÎÒÅÐÈÉÊÎ [TARNOPIL Region]
                  Bazarewitz / Bazarewicz [WILNO Region]
                  Bajrashevskaya / ÁÀÉÐÀØÅÂÑÊÀß [WILNO region]
                  Bedrijowska / Bedreyowska / Bedryjowska [SE Poland Region near Dukla]
                  Grevach / Grevoch / Grzewach / Grzywoch / Hryleacz / Heyleacz [SE Poland]
                  Rafalowitz / Rafalewitch /Rafulowitz / Rafalowicz [Ivje / Lida Region]
                  Rotkowitz / Rotkowich [Ivje / Lida Region]
                  Makuch / Makuh /[SE Poland near Dukla]

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 8, 2008
                    A printing alternative is do it at a US National Archives facility.
                    They have microfilm to paper copy machines which will print microfilm
                    images on 11" x 17" paper for $0.50 per page:

                    http://www.archives.gov/research/order/fees.html

                    --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, edward potereiko

                    wrote:

                    > > I merely right click on the image and select 'copy to
                    clipboard '.

                    > > Then paste it into your image program of choice to
                    edit/rename/ save

                    > > etc. Easy.

                  • Helen Ginn
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 9, 2008
                      Lavrentiy,

                      If I'm not mistaken I think the indexing project was being done by a group in Canada, but it has since been taken away from them. Perhaps someone can correct me on this and explain the situation.

                      The catalogue is now showing 2,875 towns and villages that have been microfilmed so they are constantly adding more for Galizien records.

                      Helen