Ending Ski, Sky

  • Judith Hrynenko
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hello List Members,

      Over the years I have seen Polish last names ending with SKI AND SKY,
      Many times I have questioned it and have been told that if the last name
      ends with Ski the family is Polish. If it ends with Sky, the family is
      Ukrainian? Could someone give clarification on the subject ?

      Best Regards,
      Judy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
        Hello Judith,

        Polish orthography does not allow a y to follow a k, thus Polish
        surnames of the form that you are discussing end as -ski and never
        -skyi. However, you'll find Uke's in America (US and Canada) with
        surname endings as -ski because that is how their name was spelled in
        Europe while Ukes were in Poland(and they didn't want to change the
        spelling to sky).

        Judith Hrynenko wrote:

        > Hello List Members,
        >
        > Over the years I have seen Polish last names ending with SKI AND SKY,
        > Many times I have questioned it and have been told that if the last name
        > ends with Ski the family is Polish. If it ends with Sky, the family is
        > Ukrainian? Could someone give clarification on the subject ?
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Judy
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Judith Hrynenko