file upload

  • ace lund
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hello all, I have uploaded a file and was hoping someone could translate it for me. I know it is not very clear but any help would be great.

      Thank you Stacy

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hello Stacy,

        Great...you were able to scan the certificate (recall that we had
        extensive discussions of the certificate in March 2007:

        As discussed a year ago, you have a certificate of birth that was
        issued by the priest of the Greek Catholic church (parish) in
        Smorzhiv (Smarzo~w).

        The certificate is of standard format. The language is Latin.
        That format in Latin language is discussed in various translation
        guides, such as the one that Fred Hoffman and Jonathan Shea have
        prepared. Example translations of similar certificates have been
        provided in the past in this group. The handwriting on your
        certificate is very good so there should be no difficulty in your
        attempt to translate the certificate. If one particular area of the
        certificate presents a problem let us know.

        ace lund <acelund2000@...> wrote:

        > Hello all, I have uploaded a file and was hoping someone could
        translate it for me. I know it is not very clear but any help would
        be great.

        > Thank you Stacy

      • Fred Hoffman
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
          Hi,

          Lavrentiy wrote:

          > The certificate is of standard format. The
          > language is Latin.
          > That format in Latin language is discussed in
          > various translation
          > guides, such as the one that Fred Hoffman and
          > Jonathan Shea have
          > prepared.

          Well, just to clarify this, we're working on a
          translation guide for Latin. It's not done yet. We
          hope to finish it sometime later this year (since
          at this point finishing it earlier this year is
          out of the question).

          Stacey wrote:

          > Hello all, I have uploaded a file and was hoping
          > someone could
          > translate it for me. I know it is not very clear
          > but any help would
          > be great.

          If you're talking about the file labeled "Stacey's
          family," it's fairly easy to read. At upper left,
          it was issued in the Republic of Poland, county of
          Tarnopol, district of Radziechow. Those were the
          political administration divisions in force at the
          time. At upper right are the ecclesiastical ones:
          Diocese of Lwow, Deanery of Lopatyn, Parish of
          Smarzhow. The document is a "Birth certificate,"
          Number 25/38, and it says the following:

          "From the Greek Catholic rite parish office in
          Smarzow, it is noted and certified that the
          following is to be found in the metrical
          registers -- the status animarum -- of this
          church: Theodorus Szewczuk, legitimate son of
          Ignacy and Maria nee Danyluk, farmers in Smarzow,
          was born on 28 May 1888. In certification of which
          I corroborate this with my signature in my own
          hand and the parish seal."

          There is scrawled the notation "R. Basilius
          Hromatka performed the baptism," in what looks
          like a different hand. Then below that is the
          place and date, Smarzow, 15 March 1938, and the
          signature of the parish priest, Rev. Josephus
          Mycak. The seal of the parish church office is
          affixed, as well as stamps that had to be
          purchased and applied to official documents.

          Now, those are the names of people and places as
          given in the document. But the names would have to
          be adjusted to reflect the proper language --
          since it's a good bet the people involved didn't
          call these people or places by Latin names, and
          perhaps not Polish ones either. In other words,
          the Poles call the county seat Tarnopol, but
          Ukrainians call it Ternopil; Radziechow is called
          Radekhiv by Ukrainians. Lwow = Lviv, Lopatyn is
          unchanged, and Smarzow = Smorzhiv. "Theodorus
          Szewczuk" was probably called Fedir Shevchuk, and
          his parents were probably Ihnat and Mariya. The
          priest who performed the baptism was Rev. Vasyl
          Hromatka, and the priest who wrote up the
          certificate was probably Rev. Iosip Mytsak.

          I think I've read everything correctly, but if I
          made a mistake, I'm sure someone will correct
          me....

          Fred Hoffman
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
            Hello Fred,

            Don't forget your _Following the Paper Trail: A Multilingual
            Translation Guide_. You have a chapter on Latin which includes a
            Ukrainian baptismal certificate that is very useful since the
            certificate boilerplate is in both Latin and Ukrainian. Several
            websites have Latin certificates translated, glossaries, etc.

            _______

            Lavrenrtiy

            --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hoffman"