Luwalk location question

  • The Hinkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
      Good afternoon,

      My GURAVAGE aka GUREVICIUS ancestors generally referred to their
      nationality as Lithuanian, but at other times as Polish.

      I tried the ShtetlSeeker site for suggestions to their hometown of
      "LUWALK", but the suggestions differ for Poland and Lithuania searches.

      Has anyone come across the town name of 'Luwalk'?

      Robert

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Mary
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
        Can you post the source for the name "Luwalk"?

        Looks like it may be Suwalki; often the 'S' can look
        like an 'L' in handwritten records. Microfilmed
        records available at LDS using place search. Roman
        Catholic records available 1808-1940.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suwa%C5%82ki
        "Suwałki [suˈvau̯ki] (Image:Ltspkr.png
        listen) (Lithuanian: Suvalkai, Yiddish: Suwałk;
        German: Suwalken) is a town in northeastern Poland
        with 69,100 inhabitants (2003). The Czarna Hańcza
        river flows through the town.

        It is the capital of the Suwałki County and one
        of the most important centres of commerce in the
        Podlachian Voivodeship. Until 1999 the town was the
        capital of Suwałki Voivodeship. Suwałki is
        located about 30 km from the southwestern Lithuanian
        border. One Lithuanian ethnographic region is
        sometimes named Suvalkija..."

        If language spoken was Lithuanian, the family was
        Lithuanian. Pennsylvania Guravages were Lithuanian.

        I do not seek Luwalk or Suwalki listed at Ellis Island
        for sounds like surnames. Did they immigrated through
        a different port (available at ancestry.com/search?
        This is the search engine to find Ellis Island ship
        manifests; use sounds-like and soundex features:
        http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

        Regards,
        Mary

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
          Mary wrote:

          > Can you post the source for the name "Luwalk"?

          Mary read my mind.