Re: Help with Latin

  • cmr31dec
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 3, 2008
      Thanks for the help, but I'm sorry, I see know I should have been
      more specific.

      The Latin forms themselves I can read; I know what info the columns
      contain (I've a few resources, Pihach's book among them, that have
      helped me get oriented). The problem I am encountering has to do with
      what the priest has written (and I'm not talking about reading bad
      penmanship). For example, on my grandfather's birth record, there is
      a handwritten paragraph that has to do with his baptism and
      confirmation. I would like to be able to translate those 3 or 4
      sentences so I know exactly what was written. Also, his godparents
      are identified as Agricola Loci. (or Soci.). I know agricola is
      peasant, but I'd like to figure out what the Loci/Soci means, if
      anything at all.

      I guess I was hoping that there was something like a book/dictionary
      written or a website out there that is dedicated to tackling the
      intricacies of genealogical Latin in detail. Or do I just find a good
      Latin to English dictionary and plod ahead?

      Thanks, Chris Reshitnyk

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Onyschuk"
      <jodanji@...> wrote:

      > Chris:
      >

      > Here's a basic outline of the terms you will encounter.
      >
      > http://www.torugg.org/Newsletter/current_issue.html
      >

      > Click on the "Brushing up on your Latin" article
      >

      > Regards,
      >
      > Jim Onyschuk
      >
      > http://www.onyschuk.com <http://www.onyschuk.com/>
      >

      > _____

      Chris
      > Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2008 9:38 AM
      > To: Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Help with Latin
      >

      > This new kid on the block is struggling with some Latin contained
      in Gr.
      > Cath. church records. Can anyone recommend any latin
      dictionaries/etc. or
      > internet resources to help ease my pain? Every priest seems to have
      his own
      > way of writing things.
      >
      > Ukrainian I can read, Polish I can muddle my way through, but Latin
      is
      > another matter altogether.
      >
      > With thanks, Chris Reshitnyk

    • Krysia
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 5, 2008
        Mary never not a chance for a debate , I personally
        enjoyed them all.
        farmers daughter Krysia
        --- Mary <siemionresearcher@...> wrote:

        > Is this the beginning of a debate about Monty Python
        > and the Holy Grail (1975), Monty Python's Flying
        > Circus (1969) and The Meaning of Life (1983)?
        >
        > Maybe we'll save it for Fun Friday and try to find a
        > Galica Poland Ukraine connection.
        > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085959/
        > http://imdb.com/title/tt0071853/
        > http://imdb.com/title/tt0063929/
        >
        > Mary
        >

        > > Mary, Mary not as good as The Meaning of Life but
        > > close second.
        > > Buzka Krysia
        > >
        > > --- Mary <siemionresearcher@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Wonderful site! Thank you very much.