Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: name question

  • Fred Hoffman
    Message 1 of 101 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi,

      In the discussion of Anna and Hanusia, etc.
      Lavrentiy wrote:

      > You are correct, but let's see what
      > additional insights Fred
      > offers.

      Oh, jeez, no pressure or anything....

      > Aren't the versions of Anna that begin with
      > H, like Hana, Hanka,
      > Hanusia, etc., derived from Chana (Khana in
      > Ukrainian, etc.), where
      > Khana/Chana is the Hebrew name of Mary's mother,
      > who in most
      > languages is called Anna?

      The names that take the forms Anna, Hannah, Chana,
      Khana, etc. all come ultimately from the Hebrew
      name Hannah, where the first H is guttural and the
      final H is more or less silent. That word means
      "grace" or "mercy" (from the same basic root we
      see in the Hebrew name Yohanan, which became John
      in English, Johann in German, Jan in Polish, and
      Ivan in Russian and Ukrainian!) For Christians,
      the name is indeed most closely associated with
      Mary's mother.

      Apparently the original guttural H in Hebrew was
      retained by Jews, because of course they were more
      familiar with the name as used in the Hebrew
      Bible. Thus Jews in Poland/Russia/Ukraine tended
      to use the form Chana or Khana, depending on how
      that sound is spelled in a particular language (in
      the Cyrillic alphabet it's represented with the
      letter that looks like our X). Western Christians
      tended to drop that initial guttural, yielding
      Anna; to them, Hannah was more Biblical, but
      perhaps it also seemed too Jewish (!?). Anna was
      apparently the more popular form among Roman
      Christians. But it may be true that the Ukrainians
      tended to preserve the initial H- sound from the
      Hebrew form; the books I have, at least, indicate
      that Hanna is the standard Ukrainian form, with
      Anna as a common variant.

      My sources say at some point Poles began to add an
      H sound to the beginning, much as they also formed
      names beginning Hal- from Elzbieta (Elizabeth). We
      see Hanka and Hania in 14th- and 15th-century
      Polish records. Apparently the H/CH at the start
      of the name was not necessarily retained from the
      original Hebrew form; it was due more to a dialect
      or regional tendency to add an H sound to the
      start of names beginning with vowels. We do see
      that with other Polish names. Of course, it's also
      entirely possible the Polish variant with H/CH was
      influenced by Ukrainian; only a fool would deny
      that Ukrainian names have influenced Polish names.

      Whatever the exact route the name took, it does
      come from that name Christians associate with the
      mother of Mary. And once you had Polish forms
      beginning Ann- or Han-, then diminutives could be
      created, including Ania, Anka, Anusia, and Hania,
      Hanka, Hanula, and Hanusia. Ukrainian gets even
      more creative, using those forms but also
      diminutives and variants such as Hannulenka,
      Hannunenka, Hantsunia, Annunia, Aniutonka, etc.
      (That info from _Vlasni imena liudei_ by L. H.
      Skrypnyk and N. P. Dziakivs'ka).

      I'm not sure if I've actually answered the
      question, but that's about all I can add to the
      discussion. And we're getting ready to have our
      New Year's dinner. So y'all are on your own....

      Fred
      Message 101 of 101 , Jan 2, 2008
        Fred Hoffman wrote:

        > Oh, jeez, no pressure or anything....