Re: Gorlice

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 7, 2007
      Katherine Ayers wrote:

      > And that's what I was afraid of. Is it possible LDS just hasn't
      > filmed all of the region, or is it more likely the records did
      > not survive? I keep hoping if I wait long enough more records
      > will appear through LDS.

      It is likely that LDS has not microfilmed all the records that are
      available in the Polish State Archives. The LDS microfilm crews only
      photographed what the archives gave to them. They probabaly did not
      present everything. A new contract would be required to photograph
      additional records. For example, LDS might be in Przemysl or Rseszow
      branch but the branch in Sanok might have books.

      Plus, many books are still in registry offices. Registry office
      records aren't open to the public.

      > Frankly, I'm somewhat intimidated about having to try to contact
      the various registries or archives, especially as I know English
      only.

      You can write in English. Better to write in good English than
      employing a translator that can't understand English or Polish very
      well. Never use an electronic translation system.

      > What is the web address for Polish State Archive holdings?

      http://www.archiwa.gov.pl/?CIDA=50

      That is the Polish State Archive system. Keep in mind that
      registry offices are not part of the state archive system. To learn
      what registry offices have you need to contact them directly.

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 7, 2007

        From: http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=en

        Katherine,

        Wola Sekowa (aka Sekowa Wola) is not Sekowa.

      • rabbitowl@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 21, 2008
          RC churches weren't because RC church was third rail in Poland even during Communist period.

          Lavrentiy

          Hello,
          What is meant by "third rail"? I am not familiar with that term.

          Susan
        • nick bulka
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 22, 2008
            A third rail is a euphemism for anything that should be avoided.
            the term originates in the railroad industry, where the third rail
            supplies electrical power to the train. Touching the third rail is
            ususally fatal.

            -nick

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 22, 2008
              nick bulka wrote:

              > A third rail is a euphemism for anything that should be avoided.
              > the term originates in the railroad industry, where the third rail
              > supplies electrical power to the train. Touching the third rail is
              > ususally fatal.
              >
              > -nick

              In Poland, the Communists learned that the hard way.

              More about the the Third Rail metaphor:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_rail_(metaphor)

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 22, 2008

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 22, 2008