Lancut

  • morgan2503
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
      Does anyone know the best method to get information from Lancut? I
      have a book on the town and I've found my family in it, however I am
      having difficulty getting in touch with the author. My Polish isn't
      all that great. Does anyone have some advice for me? My great
      grandfather, Franciszek Wawrzkiewicz was born there. He is the son of
      Marcin and Marianna (Kochman). The family made the wheels for the
      carriages.

      Thank you for the help.

      Wendy
    • Danuta Janina Wójcik
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
        Witaj, Wendy,

        1st - Option, phone the Polish telephone operator through your local telephone provider and ask for all telephone numbers for Wawrzkiewiz and Kochman in Lancut and surrounding areas.

        2nd Option - You write a general simple letter in English to your family. Adress it in this manner with the street address missing. The local post office in Lancut will delivery or send it back to you.

        Rodzina - Wawrzkiewrz
        Lancut
        Podkarpackie
        POLSKA

        3rd Option -Hire a genealogist/or someone that would be willing to go to Lancut and knock on doors.

        4th Option

        POLISH RED CROSS

        Polski Czerwony Krzyz
        Zarzad Glowny
        00-561 Warszawa
        ul. Mokotowska 14, skr. poczt. 47
        Polska/Poland

        Email address: biuro.poszukiwan@...

        5th Option

        CENTRAL BUREAU OF ADDRESSES IN POLAND

        *Centralne Biuro Adresowe
        Sekcja Zapytan Zagranicznych
        ul. Kazimierzowska 60
        02-543 Warszawa
        POLAND

        You can write your letter in English. They will reply in Polish. Give them
        as much information as you can. A must is the village or town in which they
        lived. If you know the province, that helps, as there are many towns with
        the same names in other provinces, just as there are many towns with the
        same name in the US. Give as much information as you can, i. e. your
        ancestors full name (using maiden names, also), dates of birth, siblings
        names and where they were from. In other words you are giving them all the
        data they need for you to connect with the known relative you wish to
        contact. Give them the person's full name and their ancestors. It may take
        up to a year to hear from anyone. They will not let you know where your
        relatives are. They will contact them, and if they wish to reach you, they
        will. Send a letter to your relative in another envelope for them to mail it
        to them. Tell them the relationship to this person you wish to contact and
        how you connect with them as a relative.

        Pozdrawiam,

        Danuta

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
          The following is like the US Social Security Administartion will do:

        • Danuta Janina Wójcik
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
            Czolem,

            Wendy, may not be an American. She stated she wants information from Lancut, I am assuming she is trying to locate distant relatives. How is the US Social Security Administration going to help her?

            Pozdrawiam,
            Danuta

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
              Hello Danuta,

              I was just adding that Poland's CENTRAL BUREAU OF ADDRESSES will
              do the same that the US Social Security Administration will do to
              find people:

              http://www.socialsecurity.gov/foia/html/ltrfwding.htm

              http://law.freeadvice.com/government_law/social_security_law/social_se
              curity_missing_person.htm

              --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta Janina W󪣩k

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
                krupniak wrote:

                > Hello Danuta,
                >
                > I was just adding that Poland's CENTRAL BUREAU OF ADDRESSES will
                > do the same that the US Social Security Administration will do to
                > find people:
                >

                > http://www.socialsecurity.gov/foia/html/ltrfwding.htm

                http://law.freeadvice.com/government_law/social_security_law/social_se
                > curity_missing_person.htm

                US IRS Letter Forwarding Service

                http://www.irs.gov/retirement/article/0,,id=110139,00.html

                http://bernco.gov/live/..%5C%5Cupload%5Cimages%5Cprobate%5C2006%
                5C052506.htm

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
                  Wendy...don't send your letter to the SSA or IRS...I'm just noting
                  that Poland CBA does what IRS & SSA do to help find people in the US.

                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
                    In Poland everyone over 18 must have an Identity Card (Dowód
                    osobisty) issued by the local administration.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_document#Poland

                    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow%C3%B3d_osobisty

                    <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                    > Wendy...don't send your letter to the SSA or IRS...I'm just noting
                    > that Poland CBA does what IRS & SSA do to help find people in the
                    US.

                    > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                    > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > krupniak wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hello Danuta,
                    > > >
                    > > > I was just adding that Poland's CENTRAL BUREAU OF ADDRESSES
                    > will
                    > > > do the same that the US Social Security Administration will do
                    > > > find people:
                    > > >

                    > > > http://www.socialsecurity.gov/foia/html/ltrfwding.htm

                    http://law.freeadvice.com/government_law/social_security_law/social_se
                    > > > curity_missing_person.htm
                    > > >

                    > > US IRS Letter Forwarding Service
                    > >

                    > > http://www.irs.gov/retirement/article/0,,id=110139,00.html
                    > >

                    > > http://bernco.gov/live/..%5C%5Cupload%5Cimages%5Cprobate%5C2006%
                    > > 5C052506.htm
                    > >

                    > > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta Janina
                    W󪣩k

                    > information
                    > > > from Lancut, I am assuming she is trying to locate distant
                    > > > relatives. How is the US Social Security Administration going
                    > > > help her?

                  • Danuta Janina Wójcik
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
                      Czolam,

                      Correct. Great tracking method in Poland..

                      Pozdrawiam,
                      Danuta

                      <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                      > Wendy...don't send your letter to the SSA or IRS...I'm just noting
                      > that Poland CBA does what IRS & SSA do to help find people in the
                      US.

                      > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                      > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > krupniak wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hello Danuta,
                      > > >
                      > > > I was just adding that Poland's CENTRAL BUREAU OF ADDRESSES
                      > will
                      > > > do the same that the US Social Security Administration will do
                      > > > find people:
                      > > >

                      > > > http://www.socialsecurity.gov/foia/html/ltrfwding.htm

                      http://law.freeadvice.com/government_law/social_security_law/social_se
                      > > > curity_missing_person.htm
                      > > >

                      > > US IRS Letter Forwarding Service
                      > >

                      > > http://www.irs.gov/retirement/article/0,,id=110139,00.html
                      > >

                      > > http://bernco.gov/live/..%5C%5Cupload%5Cimages%5Cprobate%5C2006%
                      > > 5C052506.htm
                      > >

                      > > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta Janina
                      W󪣩k

                      > information
                      > > > from Lancut, I am assuming she is trying to locate distant
                      > > > relatives. How is the US Social Security Administration going
                      > > > help her?

                    • Mary
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
                        Wendy,

                        There are letter writing guides in Polish on the
                        internet that can aid in your correspondence. This is
                        one example:

                        http://pgsa.org/PolishLetterWritingGuide.pdf

                        Regards,
                        Mary

                        --- Danuta Janina Wójcik <sandlily@...> wrote:

                        > 1st - Option, phone the Polish telephone operator
                        > through your local telephone provider and ask for
                        > all telephone numbers for Wawrzkiewiz and Kochman in
                        > Lancut and surrounding areas.
                        >
                        > 2nd Option - You write a general simple letter in
                        > English to your family. Adress it in this manner
                        > with the street address missing. The local post
                        > office in Lancut will delivery or send it back to
                        > you.
                        >
                        > Rodzina - Wawrzkiewrz
                        > Lancut
                        > Podkarpackie
                        > POLSKA
                        >
                        > 3rd Option -Hire a genealogist/or someone that would
                        > be willing to go to Lancut and knock on doors.
                        >
                        > 4th Option
                        >
                        > POLISH RED CROSS
                        >
                        > Polski Czerwony Krzyz
                        > Zarzad Glowny
                        > 00-561 Warszawa
                        > ul. Mokotowska 14, skr. poczt. 47
                        > Polska/Poland
                        >
                        > Email address: biuro.poszukiwan@...
                        >
                        > 5th Option
                        >
                        > CENTRAL BUREAU OF ADDRESSES IN POLAND
                        >
                        > *Centralne Biuro Adresowe
                        > Sekcja Zapytan Zagranicznych
                        > ul. Kazimierzowska 60
                        > 02-543 Warszawa
                        > POLAND
                        >
                        > You can write your letter in English. They will
                        > reply in Polish. Give them
                        > as much information as you can. A must is the
                        > village or town in which they
                        > lived. If you know the province, that helps, as
                        > there are many towns with
                        > the same names in other provinces, just as there are
                        > many towns with the
                        > same name in the US. Give as much information as you
                        > can, i. e. your
                        > ancestors full name (using maiden names, also),
                        > dates of birth, siblings
                        > names and where they were from. In other words you
                        > are giving them all the
                        > data they need for you to connect with the known
                        > relative you wish to
                        > contact. Give them the person's full name and their
                        > ancestors. It may take
                        > up to a year to hear from anyone. They will not let
                        > you know where your
                        > relatives are. They will contact them, and if they
                        > wish to reach you, they
                        > will. Send a letter to your relative in another
                        > envelope for them to mail it
                        > to them. Tell them the relationship to this person
                        > you wish to contact and
                        > how you connect with them as a relative.
                        >

                        > Pozdrawiam,
                        >
                        > Danuta

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Mary
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
                          Another letter writing guide:

                          http://polishroots.org/letters/letters_polish.htm

                          Regards,
                          Mary

                          --- Mary <siemionresearcher@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > you
                          > > can, i. e. your
                          > > ancestors full name (using maiden names, also),
                          > > dates of birth, siblings
                          > > names and where they were from. In other words you
                          > > are giving them all the
                          > > data they need for you to connect with the known
                          > > relative you wish to
                          > > contact. Give them the person's full name and
                          > their
                          > > ancestors. It may take
                          > > up to a year to hear from anyone. They will not
                          > let
                          > > you know where your
                          > > relatives are. They will contact them, and if they
                          > > wish to reach you, they
                          > > will. Send a letter to your relative in another
                          > > envelope for them to mail it
                          > > to them. Tell them the relationship to this person
                          > > you wish to contact and
                          > > how you connect with them as a relative.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Wendy Morgan
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                            Oh my! Thank you so very much for everyone that responded. Danuta, I will certainly look into those options. I actually have a phone number for an author of a book on Lancut that lists all the Lancut families and their trees. My family's history is in it, but unfortunately, I know for a fact that the author does not know any English. My Polish is probably on a 1st grade level, but without gestures, we'd be in even more trouble! :)

                            I am fortunate that I have a picture of the house and of my great grandfather about the time he came to the US. I also know that there ARE Wawrzkiewicz families in the phonebook, so I am hopeful.

                            Thanks again for the advice - I will certainly give it all a shot!

                            Wendy

                          • Danuta Janina Wójcik
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                              Witaj, Wendy,

                              This is Danuta from Canada that is writting to you Nov 9/07:

                              Prosze bardzo. I was not quite sure, if it was the author or your distant relatives that you wanted to connect with.

                              I have been to Lancut several times, the last time in May/2007 and will be returning in May/2008. I have to pass through Lancut to arrive to my family. Lancut and it's surrounding area is very beautiful.

                              I am willing to assist you by phoning for you , as I am fluent in Polish. If you would like to correspond with me personally my e-mail address is: sandlily@...

                              Pozdrawiam goraco,
                              Danusia

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                                Danuta,

                                Yes, I will be in touch with you! What a lovely offer! Of course,
                                it's my relatives that I want to ultimately be in touch with, but I
                                think I need to start with the author. I had a coworker whose
                                cousin had gotten the book for me and I am under the impression that
                                the author, who also lives in Lancut, knows of my family.

                                Dziekuje Bardzo!

                                Wendy

                                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta Janina Wójcik