Re: Surname Szeszol from Zarowka Poland

    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 3 4:47 PM
      Describe how you determined it's the Zarowka near Mielec.

      goostyx wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > I've been working on genealogy research for mostly one branch of my
      > family for about a year. I've managed to contact people in Poland
      > with the same surname and unfortunately so far we have not connected
      > our family trees. It doesn't seem like anyone has ever researched
      my
      > surname. I've found that other people have traced to my surname but
      > haven't gone any farther than that. I've been to all the Polish
      > websites and talked with a gentleman who manages a site for my
      > ancestor's hometown (http://zarowianie.republika.pl/), but I still
      > feel there's more to be had out there. I'm currently going through
      > the microfilms and have found some names that are my ancestors.
      >
      > I guess my main question is how can I know what my surname
      insinuates
      > when there's so little information out there? I was told (by the
      > gentleman who manages the Zarowianie site) that Szeszol closely
      > resembles szynszyl which is the Polish word for chinchilla. Is
      there a
      > large chinchilla industry in Poland or was there? I just think of
      > many other places in the world when it comes to chinchillas. How
      can
      > I find history on the surname itself? It seems to be densely
      located
      > in the Zarowka and surrounding villages in the 1800s. The church
      > records on microfilm only go back to 1803 so how can I know more?
      Or

      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 7 8:18 AM
        Hello Jane,

        I wanted to know if a surname could develop from an expression
        that a person muttered and the expression had no meaning (i.e. it
        wasn't a word in the language). For example, what if a person in
        town never addressed other people by their first name but called
        everybody "juju". When a surname was established for that person a
        surname Jujuenko was coined.

        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Jane Diederich"
        <janediederich@...> wrote:

        > Logic would say that surnames came from a variety of sources.
        Names like Johnson are related to being the son of John.
        Taylor/tailor - that was your profession maybe even a
        hobby/interest. Or your name could relate to where you lived....a
        particular town or near the river or church. How about how you
        looked...short, tall, fat, redhead. So why couldn't they also be
        based on a trait (ie talks to animals). When you think how far back
        in time we are talking about, and the modifications made over the
        years -- not just immigrations to America -- and let's add into the
        mix (mis)spellings even within the same language let alone trying to
        translate into another. Heck it's amazing that we can follow a line
        (surname) back more than a few generations.

        Zarowka Poland

        > Fred,
        >
        > Are there any cases where a surname came from an oral expression
        > that a particular person used and the expression had no meaning?
        For
        > example, say a person talked to animals (like cows, horses, etc.)
        and