Domansky addresses

  • anime_kitchen16
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hello group members,

      I finally have a good lead on the ancestral village of my grandmother.
      One of my recently-discovered cousins said it was Lemburg, Galicia.

      Another recently-discovered cousin sent me a group of addresses,
      envelopes and a letter with addresses on them. They are all in
      Ukrainian and I need to get a translator (any suggestions?) In the
      meantime, I was hoping that someone here would be kind enough to
      translate just the addresses that appear in the Domansky addresses
      file folder I created in the files section. The one titled
      "Katherine's Address at Europe" is probably the address of my
      great-grandmother in the Ukraine/USSR. The other file titled "1940
      envelope and note" is probably FROM my great-grandmother Katherine to
      my great-aunt Mary in Troy, NY. What you see here is (possibly)
      Katherine's return address.

      What I'd like to know is if Lemburg, Galicia is correct (do these
      envelopes/addresses say Lemburg?) or is it something totally
      different? If it's different, what is it?

      I've started ordering microfilms (so far just on my grandfather's
      side) and would like to know where to start searching for my
      grandmother's family.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      -Courtney
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
        anime_kitchen16 wrote:

        > Hello group members,
        >
        > I finally have a good lead on the ancestral village of my
        grandmother.
        > One of my recently-discovered cousins said it was Lemburg, Galicia.
        >
        > Another recently-discovered cousin sent me a group of addresses,
        > envelopes and a letter with addresses on them. They are all in
        > Ukrainian and I need to get a translator (any suggestions?)

        A human being. Most will charge for their time.

        > In the
        > meantime, I was hoping that someone here would be kind enough to
        > translate just the addresses that appear in the Domansky addresses
        > file folder I created in the files section. The one titled
        > "Katherine's Address at Europe" is probably the address of my
        > great-grandmother in the Ukraine/USSR.

        Hlibovychi Sverz'ki

        > The other file titled "1940
        > envelope and note" is probably FROM my great-grandmother Katherine
        > my great-aunt Mary in Troy, NY. What you see here is (possibly)
        > Katherine's return address.

        Ostalovychi

        > What I'd like to know is if Lemburg, Galicia is correct (do these
        > envelopes/addresses say Lemburg?)
        > or is it something totally
        > different? If it's different, what is it?

        Lemberg is German/Austrian name for L'viv. Lemberg was capital of
        Galicia.

        The above places are located southeast of L'viv.

        > I've started ordering microfilms (so far just on my grandfather's
        > side) and would like to know where to start searching for my
        > grandmother's family.
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > -Courtney

      • anime_kitchen16
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
          Thank you for your help.

          It really is exciting to learn where my grandmother is from. She never
          spoke about it to anyone, family included. She has been dead for 39
          years and I am unfortunate in that I never was able to talk to her
          about her history.

          Her sister, on the other hand apparently talked about it a bit. I've
          recently learned that the family were Cossacks and that they owned a
          considerable amount of land in the Ostalovychi area. The land was
          given as a reward for exceptional military service.

          It's good to confirm that both of my grandparents were in fact from
          Galicia. Its history is fascinating.

          As far as a translator, yes, I assume that the best translator will
          always be a human. I was hoping someone would've had some experience
          with one and that he or she could make a recommendation. Of course,
          I'd expect to pay a fair price for a translator's services. I'd
          especially be interested in a translator who also has experience doing
          genealogical research in Galicia and or Ukraine. Eventually, I'd like
          to locate and correspond with my relatives.

          -Courtney

          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
            anime_kitchen16 wrote:

            > Thank you for your help.
            >
            > It really is exciting to learn where my grandmother is from. She
            never
            > spoke about it to anyone, family included. She has been dead for 39
            > years and I am unfortunate in that I never was able to talk to her
            > about her history.
            >
            > Her sister, on the other hand apparently talked about it a bit. I've
            > recently learned that the family were Cossacks and that they owned a
            > considerable amount of land in the Ostalovychi area. The land was
            > given as a reward for exceptional military service.

            They were Cossacks that supported the Polish control ot Halychyna:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Hadiach

            > It's good to confirm that both of my grandparents were in fact from
            > Galicia. Its history is fascinating.
            >
            > As far as a translator, yes, I assume that the best translator will
            > always be a human. I was hoping someone would've had some experience
            > with one and that he or she could make a recommendation. Of course,
            > I'd expect to pay a fair price for a translator's services. I'd
            > especially be interested in a translator who also has experience
            doing
            > genealogical research in Galicia and or Ukraine. Eventually, I'd
            like
            > to locate and correspond with my relatives.

            I do translations.

            > -Courtney

            > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
            > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
            > >
            > > anime_kitchen16 wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hello group members,
            > > >
            > > > I finally have a good lead on the ancestral village of my
            > > grandmother.
            > > > One of my recently-discovered cousins said it was Lemburg,
            Galicia.

            > > > Another recently-discovered cousin sent me a group of addresses,
            > > > envelopes and a letter with addresses on them. They are all in
            > > > Ukrainian and I need to get a translator (any suggestions?)
            > >

            > > A human being. Most will charge for their time.
            > >

            > > > In the
            > > > meantime, I was hoping that someone here would be kind enough to
            > > > translate just the addresses that appear in the Domansky
            addresses
            > > > file folder I created in the files section. The one titled
            > > > "Katherine's Address at Europe" is probably the address of my
            > > > great-grandmother in the Ukraine/USSR.
            > >

            > > Hlibovychi Sverz'ki
            > >

            > > > The other file titled "1940
            > > > envelope and note" is probably FROM my great-grandmother
            Katherine
            > > > my great-aunt Mary in Troy, NY. What you see here is (possibly)
            > > > Katherine's return address.
            > >

            > > Ostalovychi
            > >

            > > > What I'd like to know is if Lemburg, Galicia is correct (do
            these
            > > > envelopes/addresses say Lemburg?)
            > > > or is it something totally
            > > > different? If it's different, what is it?
            > >

            > > Lemberg is German/Austrian name for L'viv. Lemberg was
            capital of
            > > Galicia.
            > >
            > > The above places are located southeast of L'viv.
            > >

            > > > I've started ordering microfilms (so far just on my
            grandfather's
            > > > side) and would like to know where to start searching for my
            > > > grandmother's family.
            > > >
            > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
            > > >
            > > > -Courtney
            > >

            > > _______
            > >
            > > Lavrentiy
            > >
            > > /

          • nick bulka
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
              Courtney,

              I can highly recommend a Ukrainian translator. I have been using him
              for more than 5 years. He is very dependable, reasonably priced, and his
              knowledge of English is great. Tell him I sent you. His name is Roman
              Bulkewicz and you can contact him at roman@...

              nick bulka

            • Cherry E
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
                I am also looking for the domansky line in my family

                anime_kitchen16 <anime_kitchen16@...> wrote: Thank you for your help.

                <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                > anime_kitchen16 wrote:
                >
                > > Hello group members,
                > >
                > > I finally have a good lead on the ancestral village of my
                > grandmother.
                > > One of my recently-discovered cousins said it was Lemburg, Galicia.
                > >
                > > Another recently-discovered cousin sent me a group of addresses,
                > > envelopes and a letter with addresses on them. They are all in
                > > Ukrainian and I need to get a translator (any suggestions?)
                >

                > A human being. Most will charge for their time.
                >

                > > In the
                > > meantime, I was hoping that someone here would be kind enough to
                > > translate just the addresses that appear in the Domansky addresses
                > > file folder I created in the files section. The one titled
                > > "Katherine's Address at Europe" is probably the address of my
                > > great-grandmother in the Ukraine/USSR.
                >

                > Hlibovychi Sverz'ki
                >

                > > The other file titled "1940
                > > envelope and note" is probably FROM my great-grandmother Katherine
                > > my great-aunt Mary in Troy, NY. What you see here is (possibly)
                > > Katherine's return address.
                >

                > Ostalovychi
                >

                > > What I'd like to know is if Lemburg, Galicia is correct (do these
                > > envelopes/addresses say Lemburg?)
                > > or is it something totally
                > > different? If it's different, what is it?
                >

                > Lemberg is German/Austrian name for L'viv. Lemberg was capital of
                > Galicia.
                >
                > The above places are located southeast of L'viv.
                >

                > > I've started ordering microfilms (so far just on my grandfather's
                > > side) and would like to know where to start searching for my
                > > grandmother's family.
                > >
                > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
                > >
                > > -Courtney

              • anime_kitchen16
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Thank you, Nick. I will contact him.

                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, nick bulka <nick@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Courtney,
                  >
                  > I can highly recommend a Ukrainian translator. I have been using him
                  > for more than 5 years. He is very dependable, reasonably priced, and
                  his
                  > knowledge of English is great. Tell him I sent you. His name is Roman
                  > Bulkewicz and you can contact him at roman@...
                  >
                  > nick bulka
                  >

                  > anime_kitchen16 wrote:
                  > > Thank you for your help.
                  > >
                  > > It really is exciting to learn where my grandmother is from. She never
                  > > spoke about it to anyone, family included. She has been dead for 39
                  > > years and I am unfortunate in that I never was able to talk to her
                  > > about her history.
                  > >
                  > > Her sister, on the other hand apparently talked about it a bit. I've
                  > > recently learned that the family were Cossacks and that they owned a
                  > > considerable amount of land in the Ostalovychi area. The land was
                  > > given as a reward for exceptional military service.
                  > >
                  > > It's good to confirm that both of my grandparents were in fact from
                  > > Galicia. Its history is fascinating.
                  > >
                  > > As far as a translator, yes, I assume that the best translator will
                  > > always be a human. I was hoping someone would've had some experience
                  > > with one and that he or she could make a recommendation. Of course,
                  > > I'd expect to pay a fair price for a translator's services. I'd
                  > > especially be interested in a translator who also has experience doing
                  > > genealogical research in Galicia and or Ukraine. Eventually, I'd like
                  > > to locate and correspond with my relatives.
                  > >
                  > > -Courtney
                  > >

                  > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                  > > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:

                  > >> grandmother.

                  > >> A human being. Most will charge for their time.

                  > >> Hlibovychi Sverz'ki

                  > >> Ostalovychi

                  > >> Lemberg is German/Austrian name for L'viv. Lemberg was
                  capital of
                  > >> Galicia.
                  > >>
                  > >> The above places are located southeast of L'viv.

                  > >> _______
                  > >>
                  > >> Lavrentiy
                  > >>
                  > >> /
                  > >>

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links