Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: Latin to English Translation

  • Lisa Gaydosh
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2007
      I ordered reel 2205430-Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast-Greek Catholic church records for Dolina district, record group 631, series 1, files 202,208. I'm looking for birth/marriage records for Nowoszyn for the late 1800s. Is the record group/series, file # a reference to the reel and something that I can find on the reel?
      &
      reel 2101049-Ivano Frankivsk Oblast. I ordered this one because I am looking to confirm a 1909 land sale document that I have that lists Dolina as the district. That's all I know about this reel.

      Sorry, if I sound silly. I'm finding this all a bit confusing. --Lisa

      krupniak <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

      Lisa Gaydosh wrote:

      > . Great info. I feel better armed with this. Now did you translate
      the name of a town/district, etc.into Latin. Did you just use an
      online translation site or something like that? --Lisa

      *********

      Remind us which parish registers available on LDS FHL microfilm(s)
      are you planning to examine?

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
        Lisa Gaydosh wrote:

        > I ordered reel 2205430-Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast-Greek Catholic
        > church records for Dolina district, record group 631, series 1,
        > files 202,208.

        Only Item 4 (i.e. part 4) of 2205430 has Weldzirz parish records.
        Nowoszyn was in the Weldzriz Greek Catholic parish.

        Other Weldzirz GC parish records are in microfilm 2205383 (Item
        6) and in 2205384 (Item 1).

        > I'm looking for birth/marriage records for Nowoszyn for the late
        > 1800s. Is the record group/series, file # a reference to the reel
        and something that I can find on the reel?

        See above information.

        > & reel 2101049-Ivano Frankivsk Oblast. I ordered this one
        because I am looking to confirm a 1909 land sale document that I have
        that lists Dolina as the district. That's all I know about this reel.

        Other Dolyna GC parish registers on the following microfilms:

        2083584
        2101049
        2101050
        2101050
        2101050

        The above microfilms will probably have no Weldzirz records.

        Furthermore, parish vital records don't contain land sale
        information. You need to access cadastral and land records.

        The archive in L'viv and Ivano-Frankivsk will have extant land
        records.

        > Sorry, if I sound silly. I'm finding this all a bit confusing.
        > --Lisa

        > krupniak <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:
        >
        > Lisa Gaydosh wrote:
        > >
        > > . Great info. I feel better armed with this. Now did you
        translate
        > the name of a town/district, etc.into Latin. Did you just use an
        > online translation site or something like that? --Lisa
        >
        > *********
        >
        > Remind us which parish registers available on LDS FHL microfilm(s)
        > are you planning to examine?

      • Lisa Gaydosh
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
          Lavrentiy,

          Thank you so much for clarifying. Why don't I ever come up with info/research that is as good as yours. Where exactly are you looking? As for your suggestion about land sale records...would I need to contact L;viv and Ivano-Frankivsk by mail?? What is best?--Lisa

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
            Hello Lisa,

            It's basically an LDS FHL cataloging problem. LDS could use the
            expertise available via the Galicia Mailing List.

            Here's the problem. LDS FHL obtained records for various GC and
            RC parishes from various sources. The LDS FHL has not yet integrated
            the parish names into the place name database of the FHL catalog.
            For example, LDS has Dolyna records from the Ivano-Frankivsk oblast
            archive. The LDS has Dolyna records from the L'viv Historical
            Archives, both RC and GC parish records. LDS has not yet
            consolidated all the Dolyna records under Dolyna in the place name
            database.

            --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Gaydosh

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
              Lisa Gaydosh wrote:

              > As for your suggestion about land sale records...would I need to
              contact L;viv and Ivano-Frankivsk by mail?? What is best?--Lisa

              L'viv has a history of replying to mail. Ivano-Frankivsk doesn't
              reply to mail.

              The best is hire a local researcher (i.e. a researcher located in
              Ukraine) or travel to Ukraine and do your own research.

              > krupniak <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:
              > Lisa Gaydosh wrote:
              >
              > > I ordered reel 2205430-Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast-Greek Catholic
              > > church records for Dolina district, record group 631, series 1,
              > > files 202,208.
              >
              > Only Item 4 (i.e. part 4) of 2205430 has Weldzirz parish records.
              > Nowoszyn was in the Weldzriz Greek Catholic parish.
              >
              > Other Weldzirz GC parish records are in microfilm 2205383 (Item
              > 6) and in 2205384 (Item 1).
              >

              > > I'm looking for birth/marriage records for Nowoszyn for the late
              > > 1800s. Is the record group/series, file # a reference to the reel
              > and something that I can find on the reel?
              >
              > See above information.
              >
              > > & reel 2101049-Ivano Frankivsk Oblast. I ordered this one
              > because I am looking to confirm a 1909 land sale document that I
              have
              > that lists Dolina as the district. That's all I know about this
              reel.

              > Other Dolyna GC parish registers on the following microfilms:
              >
              > 2083584
              > 2101049
              > 2101050
              > 2101050
              > 2101050
              >
              > The above microfilms will probably have no Weldzirz records.
              >
              > Furthermore, parish vital records don't contain land sale
              > information. You need to access cadastral and land records.
              >
              > The archive in L'viv and Ivano-Frankivsk will have extant land
              > records.
              >
              > > Sorry, if I sound silly. I'm finding this all a bit confusing.
              > > --Lisa

              > > krupniak <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Lisa Gaydosh wrote:
              > > >
              > > > . Great info. I feel better armed with this. Now did you
              > translate
              > > the name of a town/district, etc.into Latin. Did you just use an
              > > online translation site or something like that? --Lisa
              > >
              > > *********
              > >
              > > Remind us which parish registers available on LDS FHL microfilm
              (s)
              > > are you planning to examine?
              > >
              > > _______

            • Lisa Gaydosh
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 9, 2007
                I was just re-reading some e-mails...yes, I am so glad you said that because I was beginning to think it was just me having trouble with their catalog. That makes me feel like I'm starting to learn something. --Lisa