Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] New travel guide for Jewish Eastern Europe

  • Judith Hrynenko
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2007
      Hello Laurence and Group,

      If anyone is interested I have several pictures of the Jewish Heritage site
      in Selo Rozdil, Lvivska Oblast from our 2005 trip ... It was an eerie site
      when we walked around the grounds, it is now used as pasture for horses.
      The site is actually quite large, the stones are beautifully carved. The
      Synagogue is still standing, but has been completely gutted, no doors,
      windows, looks like there was a fire at one time, and used as a dumping
      ground.

      After the war, many of the headstones were taken by the towns people, broken
      which they used to rebuild the roads in Rozdil. So many of the roads are
      still in dire need of repair, but with little money I don't think they will
      ever see the roads we have here in North America.

      BTW, I also have pictures of the Jewish site at Bucac, Ternopilska Oblast,
      from 02 trip...

      Hope everyone is enjoying a fantastic summer,
      Judy
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2007
        Hi, I would love to see them. Can you send to my e-mail address? thanks, I appreciate it. Maxine sasala

        > New travel guide for Jewish Eastern Europe
        >
        > New updated edition of "Jewish Heritage Travel: A Guide to Eastern
        > Europe" by Ruth Ellen Gruber.
        >
        > In this guide book, which first appeared in 1992 and is now
        > published by National Geographic, Gruber describes hundreds of
        > Jewish heritage sites in 14 Eastern European countries. She also
        > provides general advice and resource information for travel to the
        > region, including links to a number of JewishGen pages. Genealogists
        > will especially appreciate Gruber's translation of the words "Jewish
        > cemetery" into 13 languages!
        >
        > In addition to large cities, the book covers a number of smaller
        > towns and villages. Formerly Galician localities that are
        > highlighted include...
        >
        > Poland:
        > Cracow, Dabrowa Tarnowska, Debica, Grybow, Nowy Sacz, Tarnow
        >
        > Ukraine:
        > Belz, Bolekhiv, Brody, Busk, Drohobych, Lviv, Rozdil, Stary Sambir,
        > Stryj, Zhovkva

      • lancet71
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2007
          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "maxine"
          <maxine96@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I would love to see them. Can you send to my e-mail address?
          thanks, I appreciate it. Maxine sasala

          Eastern Europe

          Ukraine@yahoogroups.com>
          > Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2007 3:22 PM
          > Subject: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] New travel guide for Jewish
          Eastern Europe

          that would be great.
          Thanks,
          Lance
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2007
            Hello Judith,

            Upload your photos to the files section.

            Judith Hrynenko wrote:

            > Hello Laurence and Group,
            >
            > If anyone is interested I have several pictures of the Jewish
            Heritage site
            > in Selo Rozdil, Lvivska Oblast from our 2005 trip ... It was an
            eerie site
            > when we walked around the grounds, it is now used as pasture for
            horses.
            > The site is actually quite large, the stones are beautifully
            carved. The
            > Synagogue is still standing, but has been completely gutted, no
            doors,
            > windows, looks like there was a fire at one time, and used as a
            dumping
            > ground.
            >
            > After the war, many of the headstones were taken by the towns
            people, broken
            > which they used to rebuild the roads in Rozdil. So many of the
            roads are
            > still in dire need of repair, but with little money I don't think
            they will
            > ever see the roads we have here in North America.
            >
            > BTW, I also have pictures of the Jewish site at Bucac, Ternopilska
            Oblast,
            > from 02 trip...
            >
            > Hope everyone is enjoying a fantastic summer,
            > Judy

          • Judith Hrynenko
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
              I have uploaded the pictures to the Photo area, you can find them under Selo
              Rozdil and Jewish Cemetery Bucac. Also provided are websites to read more
              about the history and the many stories.

              http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Suchostaw/sl_buczacz.htm

              http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/rozdol/Rozdol.htm
              http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/rozdol/Rozdol_Pop.htm

              Judy

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
                Judy,

                Thanks.

                I hope that somebody from Gesher Galicia (Jewish SIG and mailing
                list on Jewishgen) see them.

                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Judith Hrynenko
                <jkruzer@...> wrote:

                > I have uploaded the pictures to the Photo area, you can find them
                under Selo
                > Rozdil and Jewish Cemetery Bucac. Also provided are websites to
                read more
                > about the history and the many stories.
                >
                > http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Suchostaw/sl_buczacz.htm
                >
                > http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/rozdol/Rozdol.htm