Re: inconsistent surname forms

  • Fred Hoffman
    Message 1 of 57 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hi,

      Lavrentiy wrote:

      > I'm sure Fred Hoffman will have some possible
      > reasons why the priest used Abrahamik rather
      > than Abramyk.

      There are lots of reasons why this could happen.
      I'd say the main one is, people get names wrong
      all the time. I'm always amazed when people are
      baffled at inconsistent surname forms, because I'm
      convinced ALL OF US run into this all the time in
      our lives. I know many a time I've told people my
      name was Hoffman, and they thought I was Kaufman
      or Huffman or Lord knows what all. As I've said
      before, once I ended up as Hataranny. My friend
      Jonathan Shea tells me I simply would not believe
      how badly people mess up his simple, common,
      four-letter name!

      People get names wrong all the time, even in this
      day of near-universal literacy, when we have lots
      of practical reasons to spell our names
      consistently and make sure they are entered in
      records correctly. When you're talking about
      central and eastern Europe more than a century
      ago, when most folks couldn't spell their name and
      didn't have to worry about Social Security
      benefits or their credit rating, the wonder isn't
      that names are wrong sometimes -- the wonder is
      that they're ever right!

      Focus on family, not surnames. The surnames can
      help you, but they can also lead you off in the
      wrong direction. They're not very reliable; so
      don't trust them till they prove trustworthy. If
      the first name's right, the dates are right, the
      religion is right, the place is right, the names
      of the other relatives are right, but the surname
      is a little off, just dismiss the difference as
      random noise in the signal.

      Fred Hoffman
      Message 57 of 57 , Jun 9, 2007
        Hello Dennis!

        I'm for harmony too, but in reality disharmony seems to dominate.
        History can help explain why there is disharmony. Do you agree with
        me that President Bush's ignorance of the history and of the peoples
        of Iraq, Iran, etc. has placed us in quicksand?

        Dennis Benarz wrote:

        > Lavrentiy
        >
        > Again, I am not going there.
        >
        > Some folks prefer to dwell on issues that divide us. I prefer
        issues
        > that unite us.
        >
        > You appear to be a Russophile; I am certainly not. You look east; I
        > look west. You like arguments; I like harmony. You were never a
        Risk
        > player; I was (and Matt as well). Given these nearly insurmountable
        > obstacles, I don't see further dialog on this issue going anywhere
        > but the toilet.
        >
        > Count me out. Let it drop.
        >
        > Dennis
        >
        > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
        > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello Dennis!
        > >
        > > I initially stated a fact:
        > >
        > > "History shows Russia that it must distrust the West"

        > > Then Matt responded:
        > >

        > > "Lavrentiy.....don't forget distrust of the East! And who showed
        > > Russia how to distrust its own citizens...forced famine, gulag
        > > transports, et al.?"

        > > I said that Satan not "Russia" or "Russians", did it. Then
        we
        > > all tangoed a few rounds (about Putin and Bush's defense shield,
        > > etc.). I like to tango...it is said that if a mind is not used it
        > > will decay.
        > >
        > > BTW, did you know that Poland invaded Russia in early 1600s?:
        > >
        > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish-Muscovite_War_(1605%E2%80%
        > 931618)
        > >
        > > That event is still recalled by Russians. In Red Square is
        > the
        > > Minin and Pozharskya memorial statue:
        > >

        > > http://www.moscow.info/red-square/statue-minin-pozharsky.aspx
        > >

        > > ______
        > >
        > > Lavrentiy
        > >

        > > Dennis Benarz wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I've decided not to take part in this topic any further. Any
        > > further
        > > > comment is bound to offend someone. You introduced Satan to
        this
        > > > discussion, which is titled "History and Russia", not me. I was
        > > > surprised when you did it. I just happened to suggest that it
        > might
        > > > indeed explain a lot of things.
        > > >
        > > > If you now regret associating Satan with the "History of
        Russia",