Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: LDS Film 2395051 Ukraine Chorostkow - Khorostkiv

  • Helen Ginn
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
      Roman and Lavrentiy:

      I have seven films at our FHL for Chorostkow and the
      surrounding villages, Greek Catholic and Roman
      Catholic all in the Husiatyn region, Ternopil Oblast,
      numbers 2005222, 2005223, 2328703, 2347027, 1764376,
      1764374, 765887 --
      the dates on some of the films go back to 1784.I have
      never seen Chortkiv on any of them so I would assume
      that Chortkiv could be an error on film 2395051.

      I don't know who could correct this information but I
      assume these records are for the the Kopyczynce
      district as I am finding names and house numbers etc.
      that show on previous films. Some of this information
      looks like it might have been duplicated from previous
      records.

      Many thanks for the response.

      Helen Ginn

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
        Roman wrote:

        > Just to be clear here, the information I transcribed is part of
        > an Index compiled in 1998 by the Archives to catalog these
        documents. > It is available on LDS Film 2187416, Item 2. My
        transcription
        > corrects a number of errors in that effort but those errors are
        > mainly associated with date ranges and Sprawa numbers, not
        locations. > It is not information transcribed by LDS.

        > Roman

        *********

        Hello Roman and Matt,

        Roman, I understand.

        Matt, your RC parish database also contains the same
        administrative association errors regarding Khorostkiv and
        Kopychyntsi.

        http://www.halgal.com/halgalrc.asp

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
          Helen Ginn wrote:

          > Roman and Lavrentiy:
          >
          > I have seven films at our FHL for Chorostkow and the
          > surrounding villages, Greek Catholic and Roman
          > Catholic all in the Husiatyn region, Ternopil Oblast,
          > numbers 2005222, 2005223, 2328703, 2347027, 1764376,
          > 1764374, 765887 --
          > the dates on some of the films go back to 1784.I have
          > never seen Chortkiv on any of them so I would assume
          > that Chortkiv could be an error on film 2395051.

          That is correct (i.e. Chortkiv as the poviat for Khorostkiv and
          Kopychyntsi are errors). Roman provided information that the error
          can be contributed to information contained in a L'viv archive RC
          Consistory inventory database.

          > I don't know who could correct this information but I
          > assume these records are for the the Kopyczynce
          > district as I am finding names and house numbers etc.
          > that show on previous films. Some of this information
          > looks like it might have been duplicated from previous
          > records.

          Central State Historical Archive of Ukraine in L'viv (TsDIAL) needs
          to correct the error. The LDS FHL does not yet have that information
          in it's catalog. If they do catalog the RC parish microfilms it will
          have the error since the people in Salt Lake City will use TsDIAL
          information.

          > Many thanks for the response.
          >
          > Helen Ginn

          > --- Roman <romanka@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Just to be clear here, the information I transcribed
          > > is part of an Index
          > > compiled in 1998 by the Archives to catalog these
          > > documents. It is
          > > available on LDS Film 2187416, Item 2. My
          > > transcription corrects a
          > > number of errors in that effort but those errors are
          > > mainly associated
          > > with date ranges and Sprawa numbers, not locations.
          > > It is not
          > > information transcribed by LDS.
          > >
          > > Roman
          > >
          > > krupniak wrote:
          > > > Hello Roman and Helen,
          > > >
          > > > I have no idea why the RC Consistory LDS
          > > information has Chortkiv
          > > > poviat for Khorostkiv and Kopychyntsi "locations".
          > > Neither locations
          > > > were in a Czortkow (Chortkiv) administrative
          > > district at any time
          > > > (Austria-Poland-Soviet Ukraine-Ukraine).
          > > >
          > > > Some of the villages (locations) in RC
          > > Consistory microfilms that
          > > > Roman reproduced below are now in Chortkiv raion,
          > > but not all of
          > > > them. Maybe LDS and L'viv archive didn't do a good
          > > edit job.
          >

          > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving
          junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at
          http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

        • Bielawa, Matthew (Registrar)
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
            Hi Helen, Roman and Lavrentiy!

            Thank you for the information!

            My website reflects information found in the TsDIAL index.
            Unfortunately, I don't have sufficient funds to allow me to quit my job
            and cross-check the inventory/catalog. I rely on the GREAT efforts and
            observations of the genealogists.

            I too, sad to say, have found a few errors in the parishes I've
            examined. For example, I was SO EXCITED to see in the inventory/catalog
            that they had a book of marriage records for my parish from 1784 to
            1887. The fact that there's only 53 pages in that book SHOULD have
            raised a red flag (sorry....blue and yellow flag). And sure enough, it
            must've been a typo for the records only went up to something like 1827.
            Oh well.......we're only as good as our vital records, yes?

            I believe that the catalogers of the FHL review the contents of the
            film. I'm just THRILLED that they put the microfilms out there before
            the time consuming process of cataloging each film was finished. I'd
            rather spend 5 bucks for the wrong film once or twice rather than not
            have anything at all to look at!!

            I'll update my website accordingly.

            Matt

            ________________________________

            *********

            Hello Roman and Matt,

            Roman, I understand.

            Matt, your RC parish database also contains the same
            administrative association errors regarding Khorostkiv and
            Kopychyntsi.

            http://www.halgal.com/halgalrc.asp <http://www.halgal.com/halgalrc.asp>

          • Roman
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
              Larry,

              I haven't done any research on this, but I am not convinced that the
              data provided by the Lwow archives is in error. Is there any clear
              evidence that Khorostkiv and Kopychyntsi were NEVER in the Czortkow
              powiat? It seems to me that the Lwow archivists would be fairly careful
              in their catalog. Note also that all of those villages I listed are
              claimed to be part of the Kopychyntsi PARISH.

              Roman

            • Cathy Hoffman
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
                Just for Everyone's FYI - the FHL are currently indexing their
                records to allow on line search capabilites. This means that at some
                time in future years to come there will be no more having to order
                films.

                Regards,

                Cathy

                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Bielawa, Matthew

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Hello Roman,

                  You wrote:

                  > Larry,
                  >
                  > I haven't done any research on this, but I am not convinced that
                  > the data provided by the Lwow archives is in error. Is there any
                  > clear evidence that Khorostkiv and Kopychyntsi were NEVER in the
                  > Czortkow powiat? It seems to me that the Lwow archivists would be
                  > fairly careful in their catalog. Note also that all of those
                  > villages I listed are claimed to be part of the Kopychyntsi
                  > PARISH.
                  >
                  > Roman

                  ********

                  The FHL's catalog for Kopychyntsi (Kopyczyńce) and for Khorostkiv
                  (Chorostkow) provide a summary of their administrative associations
                  during the Austrian, inter-war Poland, and contemporary Ukrainian
                  periods:

                  o Kopychyntsi (Kopyczyńce)

                  http://tinyurl.com/362e9x

                  http://tinyurl.com/2va6wh

                  o Khorostkiv (Chorostkow)

                  http://tinyurl.com/3ykkpt

                  http://tinyurl.com/yr6c5l

                  I have no idea why the TsDIAL inventory of the Roman Catholic
                  Consistory holdings of Kopychyntsi (Kopyczyńce) and Khorostkiv
                  (Chorostkow) RC parish vital records are in the Chortkiv (Czortkow)
                  raion/powiat. Kopychyntsi and Khorostkiv were not in the Chortkov
                  raion during the Soviet period.

                  In the L'viv inventory of RC parish vital record books the
                  powiat identified is the powiat for the village ("location") and not
                  the powiat of the parish (Kopycznce).

                  Kopychyntsi is located very close to Chortkiv so maybe the
                  archivist made an assumption that Kopychyntsi was in Czortkow powiat.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                    Cathy Hoffman wrote:

                    > Just for Everyone's FYI - the FHL are currently indexing their
                    > records to allow on line search capabilites. This means that at
                    some
                    > time in future years to come there will be no more having to order
                    > films.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Cathy

                    *******

                    I believe that only English language records are being name
                    indexed.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                      Hello Roman,

                      Places in Chortkiv raion with postal codes:

                      область район населений пункт індекс
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Угринь 48550
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Шманькiвчики 48551
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð"журинська Слобідка 48571
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Швайківці 48516
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48503
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Улашкiвцi 48562
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48502
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð"авидкiвцi 48553
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48500
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48507
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`осири 48526
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ягiльниця 48542
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48508
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Косiв 48511
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Пастуше 48503
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð"олина 48572
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорнокінецька Ð'оля 48554
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Скомороше 48502
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð'еликі Чорнокінці 48524
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Кривеньке 48522
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`iлобожниця 48530
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Коцюбинчики 48526
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ридодуби 48577
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Черкавщина 48540
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48505
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Колиндяни 48552
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`ичкiвцi 48512
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`азар 48533
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Милівці 48563
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Сокиринці 48526
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Товстеньке 48521
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Залiсся 48561
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Мухавка 48575
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð"журин 48531
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48501
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Палашiвка 48532
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Сосулівка 48579
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Калинівщина 48530
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Звиняч 48510
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Переходи 48501
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`iла 48514
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48504
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Шманьківці 48580
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48509
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Тарнавка 48501
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48506
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð'асильків 48522
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Свидова 48544
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Пробiжна 48520
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Росохач 48560
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ромашівка 48578
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Криволука 48574
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`ілий Потік 48502
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Капустинцi 48564
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Малі Чорнокiнцi 48525
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð"орішня Ð'игнанка 48515
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Стара Ягiльниця 48540
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Семаківці 48530
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Зелена 48526
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Шульганівка 48541
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Нагiрянка 48543
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Заводське 48523
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Скородинцi 48513
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Заболотівка 48573
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Антонів 48503
                      ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Полівці 48576

                      http://www.ukrposhta.com/www/upostua.nsf/index

                      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"