Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: LDS Film 2395051 Ukraine Chorostkow - Khorostkiv

  • Roman
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31 7:05 PM
      Just to be clear here, the information I transcribed is part of an Index
      compiled in 1998 by the Archives to catalog these documents. It is
      available on LDS Film 2187416, Item 2. My transcription corrects a
      number of errors in that effort but those errors are mainly associated
      with date ranges and Sprawa numbers, not locations. It is not
      information transcribed by LDS.

      Roman

      krupniak wrote:
      > Hello Roman and Helen,
      >
      > I have no idea why the RC Consistory LDS information has Chortkiv
      > poviat for Khorostkiv and Kopychyntsi "locations". Neither locations
      > were in a Czortkow (Chortkiv) administrative district at any time
      > (Austria-Poland-Soviet Ukraine-Ukraine).
      >
      > Some of the villages (locations) in RC Consistory microfilms that
      > Roman reproduced below are now in Chortkiv raion, but not all of
      > them. Maybe LDS and L'viv archive didn't do a good edit job.

    • Helen Ginn
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
        Roman and Lavrentiy:

        I have seven films at our FHL for Chorostkow and the
        surrounding villages, Greek Catholic and Roman
        Catholic all in the Husiatyn region, Ternopil Oblast,
        numbers 2005222, 2005223, 2328703, 2347027, 1764376,
        1764374, 765887 --
        the dates on some of the films go back to 1784.I have
        never seen Chortkiv on any of them so I would assume
        that Chortkiv could be an error on film 2395051.

        I don't know who could correct this information but I
        assume these records are for the the Kopyczynce
        district as I am finding names and house numbers etc.
        that show on previous films. Some of this information
        looks like it might have been duplicated from previous
        records.

        Many thanks for the response.

        Helen Ginn

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
          Roman wrote:

          > Just to be clear here, the information I transcribed is part of
          > an Index compiled in 1998 by the Archives to catalog these
          documents. > It is available on LDS Film 2187416, Item 2. My
          transcription
          > corrects a number of errors in that effort but those errors are
          > mainly associated with date ranges and Sprawa numbers, not
          locations. > It is not information transcribed by LDS.

          > Roman

          *********

          Hello Roman and Matt,

          Roman, I understand.

          Matt, your RC parish database also contains the same
          administrative association errors regarding Khorostkiv and
          Kopychyntsi.

          http://www.halgal.com/halgalrc.asp

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
            Helen Ginn wrote:

            > Roman and Lavrentiy:
            >
            > I have seven films at our FHL for Chorostkow and the
            > surrounding villages, Greek Catholic and Roman
            > Catholic all in the Husiatyn region, Ternopil Oblast,
            > numbers 2005222, 2005223, 2328703, 2347027, 1764376,
            > 1764374, 765887 --
            > the dates on some of the films go back to 1784.I have
            > never seen Chortkiv on any of them so I would assume
            > that Chortkiv could be an error on film 2395051.

            That is correct (i.e. Chortkiv as the poviat for Khorostkiv and
            Kopychyntsi are errors). Roman provided information that the error
            can be contributed to information contained in a L'viv archive RC
            Consistory inventory database.

            > I don't know who could correct this information but I
            > assume these records are for the the Kopyczynce
            > district as I am finding names and house numbers etc.
            > that show on previous films. Some of this information
            > looks like it might have been duplicated from previous
            > records.

            Central State Historical Archive of Ukraine in L'viv (TsDIAL) needs
            to correct the error. The LDS FHL does not yet have that information
            in it's catalog. If they do catalog the RC parish microfilms it will
            have the error since the people in Salt Lake City will use TsDIAL
            information.

            > Many thanks for the response.
            >
            > Helen Ginn

            > --- Roman <romanka@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Just to be clear here, the information I transcribed
            > > is part of an Index
            > > compiled in 1998 by the Archives to catalog these
            > > documents. It is
            > > available on LDS Film 2187416, Item 2. My
            > > transcription corrects a
            > > number of errors in that effort but those errors are
            > > mainly associated
            > > with date ranges and Sprawa numbers, not locations.
            > > It is not
            > > information transcribed by LDS.
            > >
            > > Roman
            > >
            > > krupniak wrote:
            > > > Hello Roman and Helen,
            > > >
            > > > I have no idea why the RC Consistory LDS
            > > information has Chortkiv
            > > > poviat for Khorostkiv and Kopychyntsi "locations".
            > > Neither locations
            > > > were in a Czortkow (Chortkiv) administrative
            > > district at any time
            > > > (Austria-Poland-Soviet Ukraine-Ukraine).
            > > >
            > > > Some of the villages (locations) in RC
            > > Consistory microfilms that
            > > > Roman reproduced below are now in Chortkiv raion,
            > > but not all of
            > > > them. Maybe LDS and L'viv archive didn't do a good
            > > edit job.
            >

            > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving
            junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at
            http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

          • Bielawa, Matthew (Registrar)
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
              Hi Helen, Roman and Lavrentiy!

              Thank you for the information!

              My website reflects information found in the TsDIAL index.
              Unfortunately, I don't have sufficient funds to allow me to quit my job
              and cross-check the inventory/catalog. I rely on the GREAT efforts and
              observations of the genealogists.

              I too, sad to say, have found a few errors in the parishes I've
              examined. For example, I was SO EXCITED to see in the inventory/catalog
              that they had a book of marriage records for my parish from 1784 to
              1887. The fact that there's only 53 pages in that book SHOULD have
              raised a red flag (sorry....blue and yellow flag). And sure enough, it
              must've been a typo for the records only went up to something like 1827.
              Oh well.......we're only as good as our vital records, yes?

              I believe that the catalogers of the FHL review the contents of the
              film. I'm just THRILLED that they put the microfilms out there before
              the time consuming process of cataloging each film was finished. I'd
              rather spend 5 bucks for the wrong film once or twice rather than not
              have anything at all to look at!!

              I'll update my website accordingly.

              Matt

              ________________________________

              *********

              Hello Roman and Matt,

              Roman, I understand.

              Matt, your RC parish database also contains the same
              administrative association errors regarding Khorostkiv and
              Kopychyntsi.

              http://www.halgal.com/halgalrc.asp <http://www.halgal.com/halgalrc.asp>

            • Roman
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
                Larry,

                I haven't done any research on this, but I am not convinced that the
                data provided by the Lwow archives is in error. Is there any clear
                evidence that Khorostkiv and Kopychyntsi were NEVER in the Czortkow
                powiat? It seems to me that the Lwow archivists would be fairly careful
                in their catalog. Note also that all of those villages I listed are
                claimed to be part of the Kopychyntsi PARISH.

                Roman

              • Cathy Hoffman
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Just for Everyone's FYI - the FHL are currently indexing their
                  records to allow on line search capabilites. This means that at some
                  time in future years to come there will be no more having to order
                  films.

                  Regards,

                  Cathy

                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Bielawa, Matthew

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                    Hello Roman,

                    You wrote:

                    > Larry,
                    >
                    > I haven't done any research on this, but I am not convinced that
                    > the data provided by the Lwow archives is in error. Is there any
                    > clear evidence that Khorostkiv and Kopychyntsi were NEVER in the
                    > Czortkow powiat? It seems to me that the Lwow archivists would be
                    > fairly careful in their catalog. Note also that all of those
                    > villages I listed are claimed to be part of the Kopychyntsi
                    > PARISH.
                    >
                    > Roman

                    ********

                    The FHL's catalog for Kopychyntsi (Kopyczyńce) and for Khorostkiv
                    (Chorostkow) provide a summary of their administrative associations
                    during the Austrian, inter-war Poland, and contemporary Ukrainian
                    periods:

                    o Kopychyntsi (Kopyczyńce)

                    http://tinyurl.com/362e9x

                    http://tinyurl.com/2va6wh

                    o Khorostkiv (Chorostkow)

                    http://tinyurl.com/3ykkpt

                    http://tinyurl.com/yr6c5l

                    I have no idea why the TsDIAL inventory of the Roman Catholic
                    Consistory holdings of Kopychyntsi (Kopyczyńce) and Khorostkiv
                    (Chorostkow) RC parish vital records are in the Chortkiv (Czortkow)
                    raion/powiat. Kopychyntsi and Khorostkiv were not in the Chortkov
                    raion during the Soviet period.

                    In the L'viv inventory of RC parish vital record books the
                    powiat identified is the powiat for the village ("location") and not
                    the powiat of the parish (Kopycznce).

                    Kopychyntsi is located very close to Chortkiv so maybe the
                    archivist made an assumption that Kopychyntsi was in Czortkow powiat.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                      Cathy Hoffman wrote:

                      > Just for Everyone's FYI - the FHL are currently indexing their
                      > records to allow on line search capabilites. This means that at
                      some
                      > time in future years to come there will be no more having to order
                      > films.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Cathy

                      *******

                      I believe that only English language records are being name
                      indexed.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                        Hello Roman,

                        Places in Chortkiv raion with postal codes:

                        область район населений пункт індекс
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Угринь 48550
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Шманькiвчики 48551
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð"журинська Слобідка 48571
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Швайківці 48516
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48503
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Улашкiвцi 48562
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48502
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð"авидкiвцi 48553
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48500
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48507
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`осири 48526
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ягiльниця 48542
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48508
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Косiв 48511
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Пастуше 48503
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð"олина 48572
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорнокінецька Ð'оля 48554
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Скомороше 48502
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð'еликі Чорнокінці 48524
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Кривеньке 48522
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`iлобожниця 48530
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Коцюбинчики 48526
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ридодуби 48577
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Черкавщина 48540
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48505
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Колиндяни 48552
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`ичкiвцi 48512
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`азар 48533
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Милівці 48563
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Сокиринці 48526
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Товстеньке 48521
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Залiсся 48561
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Мухавка 48575
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð"журин 48531
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48501
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Палашiвка 48532
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Сосулівка 48579
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Калинівщина 48530
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Звиняч 48510
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Переходи 48501
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`iла 48514
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48504
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Шманьківці 48580
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48509
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Тарнавка 48501
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Чорткiв 48506
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð'асильків 48522
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Свидова 48544
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Пробiжна 48520
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Росохач 48560
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ромашівка 48578
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Криволука 48574
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð`ілий Потік 48502
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Капустинцi 48564
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Малі Чорнокiнцi 48525
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Ð"орішня Ð'игнанка 48515
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Стара Ягiльниця 48540
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Семаківці 48530
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Зелена 48526
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Шульганівка 48541
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Нагiрянка 48543
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Заводське 48523
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Скородинцi 48513
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Заболотівка 48573
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Антонів 48503
                        ТЕРНОПІЛЬСЬКА Чортківський район Полівці 48576

                        http://www.ukrposhta.com/www/upostua.nsf/index

                        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"