Abramyk vs Abrahamik, Abrahamek

  • Cathy Hoffman
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2007
      To any and all Ukrainians or anyone who knows anything about
      Ukrainian names: Could Abramyk be Abrahamik or Abrahamek in
      Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church Records that are in latin?

      I have no opportunity to view any original birth and baptismal
      certificates for this family as they simply do not exist. I can only
      go by an 84 year old cousin who is adamant that the family lived in
      Jasienów Polny, Horodenka, Ivano-Frankivs'k, Ukraine as he lived
      there until he was 14 years old. When I questioned him on the
      possibility of name variations he said that it was Abramyk, period!
      He told me his sister's name was Nastia until I mentioned the name
      Anastasia and he said, "well yes, that is Nastia my sister".

      I know from researching other families that there are definite
      possibilities for name variations but knowing if Abrahamek or ik
      sounds the same as Abramyk (A brem ik some say A bram ik) has left me
      confused as there are no Abramyk's whatsoever in this village or town
      and it was large (over possibly 700 houses and over 500 for sure) in
      the years from 1867 to 1889.

      And since we are on the subject of names, here are some that I do not
      know how to refer to in Latin.

      Maria = Maria
      Anastasia = Nastia
      Fedir =
      Fedora =
      Nykyfor =
      Kifffer =
      Ivan or Ivanni = Jan, Joannis, Joannes
      Anneas = Anne
      Tekina =
      Justnae =
      Mathius = Matthew
      Simeonus = Simon
      Agatha =
      Armanus =
      Nicuphas =
      Antonasus = Anthony
      Jacobi = Jacob
      Prazesae or Paraxeus =
      Stephanus = Stephen or Steven or Steve
      Maximalanis =
      Demytrius = Dmytro
      Gregorii = Gregory
      Rossae = Rose or Rosie
      Michalis = Michael
      Sophiea = Sophie or Zophia

      I will apologize ahead of time for my ignorance.

      We all know I know nothing of the Polish language but now you will
      know I know even less of the Ukrainian one.

      Thanks in advance,

      Cathy (man do I have a head ache, :0( )
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2007
        Cathy Hoffman wrote:

        > To any and all Ukrainians or anyone who knows anything about
        > Ukrainian names: Could Abramyk be Abrahamik or Abrahamek in
        > Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church Records that are in latin?

        No

        > I have no opportunity to view any original birth and baptismal
        > certificates for this family as they simply do not exist. I can
        only
        > go by an 84 year old cousin who is adamant that the family lived in
        > Jasien󷠐olny, Horodenka, Ivano-Frankivs'k, Ukraine as he lived
        > there until he was 14 years old. When I questioned him on the
        > possibility of name variations he said that it was Abramyk, period!

        Go with an 84.

        > He told me his sister's name was Nastia until I mentioned the name
        > Anastasia and he said, "well yes, that is Nastia my sister".

        See, as I said, go with an 84 year old.

        > And since we are on the subject of names, here are some that
        > I do not know how to refer to in Latin.

        Below you have a mixture of Latin and other versions of names, so
        I'll give English translation:

        > Maria = Maria

        or Mary

        > Anastasia = Nastia
        > Fedir =

        Theodore

        > Fedora =

        Theodora

        > Nykyfor =

        from Greek name Nikephoros

        > Kifffer =

        must be a nickname.

        > Ivan or Ivanni = Jan, Joannis, Joannes

        John

        > Anneas = Anne

        Ann, Anna

        > Tekina =

        not a name

        > Justnae =

        Justin

        > Mathius = Matthew

        No ...it's Mathias

        > Simeonus = Simon

        No it is Simeon

        Simon and Simeon are distinct names.

        > Armanus =

        maybe Herman

        > Nicuphas =

        Nicholas

        > Antonasus = Anthony
        > Jacobi = Jacob
        > Prazesae or Paraxeus =

        from Greek word - praxis

        > Stephanus = Stephen or Steven or Steve
        > Maximalanis =

        Maxim/Maximilian

        > Demytrius = Dmytro
        > Gregorii = Gregory
        > Rossae = Rose or Rosie
        > Michalis = Michael
        > Sophiea = Sophie or Zophia
        >
        > I will apologize ahead of time for my ignorance.
        >
        > We all know I know nothing of the Polish language but now you will
        > know I know even less of the Ukrainian one.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Cathy (man do I have a head ache, :0( )

      • Dennis Benarz
        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2007
          Hi Lavrentiy

          Nice answers regarding the Ukrainian first names. As you are aware,
          because of a bad previous experience regarding Stanislaw, I no longer
          respond to questions regarding Slavic first names, but let me add two
          comments from a Polish perspective.

          "Tekina" may be a form of Tekla (Polish), Tecla (English)

          "Jacobi = Jacob" but Jakub (Polish) = James (English)

          Czesc!

          Dennis

          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"

          Message 4 of 11 , May 31, 2007

            http://www.seads.org/members.htm#tekina

            Message 5 of 11 , May 31, 2007
              Dennis!

              All kinds of people can be found on the Internet in few seconds.
              The Internet is a despot's worst nightmare.

              Now I have to fix a slow leak in my tire.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                Thank you Lavrenity and Dennis, this however leaves me in a quandry
                as mentioned there are no Abramyk's in the church records. This
                being said I guess I only have one choice, the Abramyk's did not
                originate from this village. I know my grandfather John Abramyk was
                born there in 1882 according to the 84, so now I need to ponder I
                guess as this makes no sense. All of the other family names exist,
                Nickoforuk, Wiznieska, Solinska, Hajdasz etc. These spellings may be
                incorrect at the moment as this is a rough copy but they exist there.

                Very very frustrating.

                Again thank you so much for you help.

                Cathy

                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Benarz"

                Message 7 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                  Cathy Hoffman wrote:

                  > Thank you Lavrenity and Dennis, this however leaves me in a quandry
                  > as mentioned there are no Abramyk's in the church records. This
                  > being said I guess I only have one choice, the Abramyk's did not
                  > originate from this village. I know my grandfather John Abramyk was
                  > born there in 1882 according to the 84, so now I need to ponder I
                  > guess as this makes no sense. All of the other family names exist,
                  > Nickoforuk, Wiznieska, Solinska, Hajdasz etc. These spellings may be
                  > incorrect at the moment as this is a rough copy but they exist there.
                  >
                  > Very very frustrating.
                  >
                  > Again thank you so much for you help.
                  >
                  > Cathy

                  ********

                  Well, if that is the issue, then we need to invoke the Roman Candle
                  SOP .... show us an image of the Abrahamik and Abrahamek records.

                  _______
                • Cathy Hoffman
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                    Files posted in the New Abramyk Folder Lavrenity,

                    Thanks

                    Cathy

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                      Hello Cathy,

                      Which image (record) has the Abrahamik and Abrahamek spellings?

                      Cathy Hoffman wrote:

                      > Files posted in the New Abramyk Folder Lavrenity,
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Cathy
                      >

                      > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                      > <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Cathy Hoffman wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Thank you Lavrenity and Dennis, this however leaves me in a
                      > quandry
                      > > > as mentioned there are no Abramyk's in the church records.
                      This
                      > > > being said I guess I only have one choice, the Abramyk's did
                      not
                      > > > originate from this village. I know my grandfather John
                      Abramyk
                      > was
                      > > > born there in 1882 according to the 84, so now I need to ponder
                      > > > guess as this makes no sense. All of the other family names
                      > exist,
                      > > > Nickoforuk, Wiznieska, Solinska, Hajdasz etc. These spellings
                      > may be
                      > > > incorrect at the moment as this is a rough copy but they exist
                      > there.
                      > > >
                      > > > Very very frustrating.
                      > > >
                      > > > Again thank you so much for you help.
                      > > >
                      > > > Cathy
                      > >

                      > > ********
                      > >
                      > > Well, if that is the issue, then we need to invoke the Roman
                      > Candle
                      > > SOP .... show us an image of the Abrahamik and Abrahamek records.
                      > >

                      > > _______

                    • Dennis Benarz
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                        Hi Cathy

                        I viewed record #6079. Your basic question remains this: Could the
                        surname ABRAMYK today have been ABRAHAMIK 125 years ago?

                        Considering that my surname BENARZ today was BIENIARZ 50 years ago
                        and BIENIASZ 125-700 years ago, I think it is entirely possible,
                        quite plausible, and very reasonable.

                        Strange things can happen to Slavic surnames when they leave their
                        motherland. And even within their motherland, surnames can sometimes
                        evolve with spellings changing slightly to improve their
                        pronunciation or conform with contemporary practices.

                        In summary, the issue isn't worth a controversey and, from my own
                        family experiences, debates on the correct spelling of a family
                        surname can become quite heated. Let 84 year old Mr. Abramyk continue
                        to believe what he thinks to true. You have found firm evidence that
                        the surname was actually ABRAHAMIK. You know the truth. Rejoice and
                        continue forward in your research knowing the true spelling of the
                        surname.

                        Continued good luck in your endeavor!

                        Dennis

                        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Hoffman"

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                          Read:

                          Mutilation: the Fate of Eastern European Names in America
                          by William F. Hoffman.

                          www.pgsa.org/Mutilation.pdf

                          www.pgsa.org/refdesk.htm