Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: LDS Microfilm "restricted"

  • Chris Smolinski
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
      No, they didn't get the film, they instead gave a refund on the loan fee.

      I called the FHL in Salt Lake City (I needed to ask them about
      something else anyway), and they said that it could be because they
      have exceeded the maximum allowed number of copies for the film, or
      that they are no longer allowed to make copies of it, the woman did
      not seem to exactly know. Which brings up a question, is there a way
      to find out which FHC have copies of which films? If I found on
      relatively nearby, I might be willing to drive there to see it (I am
      not willing to go to SLC, however ;-) FWIW, it is a film of some
      PA church records from the late 1700s and early 1800s, so I suspect
      there isn't anyone alive who is listed ;-)

      BTW, the reason for my call was to check on some films I ordered in
      January that still have not arrived. They said they are very backed
      up now, running more than 8 weeks late. So if anyone else has films
      on order, don't worry if they haven't come in yet.

      --

      ---
      Chris Smolinski

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
          Here's an answer I just spotted online on this topic...pretty much
          what folks here have suggested already, though.

          http://www.familytreemagazine.com/nowwhatonline/restricted.html

          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Chris Smolinski

        • bluetea54@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
            What do you mean by "similar films"? Films that were restricted?

            How were you able to examine similar films?

            Judy

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
              Some time ago I ordered a film or two that was restricted. It was
              shipped to the local FHC and I was able to research the contents.
              Although I no longer remember the details, I seem to recall that it
              contained data to about the WWI time frame.

              Roman

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                Chris Smolinski wrote:

                > No, they didn't get the film, they instead gave a refund on the
                loan fee.

                > I called the FHL in Salt Lake City (I needed to ask them about
                > something else anyway), and they said that it could be because they
                > have exceeded the maximum allowed number of copies for the film, or
                > that they are no longer allowed to make copies of it, the woman did
                > not seem to exactly know. Which brings up a question, is there a
                way
                > to find out which FHC have copies of which films? If I found on
                > relatively nearby, I might be willing to drive there to see it (I
                am
                > not willing to go to SLC, however ;-)

                Give each nearby FHC a call and ask if they have the microfilm that
                you want in their indefinite loan and temporary loan collection.

                > FWIW, it is a film of some PA church records from the late 1700s
                > and early 1800s, so I suspect there isn't anyone alive who is
                > listed ;-)

                The church requested that the microfilm be restricted, or the
                microfilm contains other non-related records and those records are
                restricted, which restricts the access to the entire roll of
                microfilm.

                > BTW, the reason for my call was to check on some films I ordered in
                > January that still have not arrived. They said they are very backed
                > up now, running more than 8 weeks late. So if anyone else has films
                > on order, don't worry if they haven't come in yet.

                There's been a staff shortage in SLC distribution operations.

              • Dorothy Oksner
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                  It could also have copyright restrictions, meaning the film cannot be
                  duplicated and therefore cannot be released from the FHL.

                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Gregory"

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007

                    >Give each nearby FHC a call and ask if they have the microfilm that
                    >you want in their indefinite loan and temporary loan collection.

                    I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a central
                    list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers. I understand
                    there are things called "computers" that make it easy to keep such
                    lists ;-)

                    >> FWIW, it is a film of some PA church records from the late 1700s
                    >> and early 1800s, so I suspect there isn't anyone alive who is
                    >> listed ;-)
                    >

                    >The church requested that the microfilm be restricted, or the
                    >microfilm contains other non-related records and those records are
                    >restricted, which restricts the access to the entire roll of
                    >microfilm.

                    That's entirely possible, I haven't checked to see which other items
                    are on the film. I believe the Lutheran libary up the road in
                    Lancaster PA has the records, so worst case I can plan a day trip
                    there (sorry this isn't directly Galicia related, but I figured some
                    of the knowledgeable folks here would know about the FHL microfilms,
                    hence my posting here)

                    --

                    ---
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                      Hello Chris,

                      You wrote:

                      > I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a
                      > central list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers.
                      > I understand there are things called "computers" that make it
                      > easy to keep such lists ;-)

                      A long time ago (the old Family History Library catalog which was
                      in DOS mode), there was a database which would identify which Centers
                      had films in their "Indefinite Loan" collection.

                      I don't think the new system has that database. SLC knows where
                      all their films are at, so it should be able to make that information
                      available at their website:

                      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

                      It might be there but I haven't fully explored wverything that is
                      available.

                      Best way is simply call all the Centers in your area and ask if
                      they have the films you seek.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 4, 2007
                        Hello Chris,

                        I was informed that a "long time ago" (maybe prior to five years
                        ago) that Centers each year would send a report to SLC about the
                        microfilms that the Center has in its "Indefinite Loan" collection.
                        SLC would compile a database and make the database available the
                        former (a DOS, non-Internet) catalog program called "Family Search".

                        Many Centers still have the old Family Search program, but it
                        is no longer updated.

                        Thus, the only way to determine if a local Center has the
                        microfilms in their Indefinite Loan and Temporary Loan collections
                        is call them. It is however best to go that center because
                        Counselors will probably not have time to check for you.

                        _________

                        Lavrentiy

                        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                        <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Chris,
                        >
                        > You wrote:
                        >
                        > > I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a
                        > > central list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers.
                        > > I understand there are things called "computers" that make it
                        > > easy to keep such lists ;-)
                        >

                        > A long time ago (the old Family History Library catalog which
                        was
                        > in DOS mode), there was a database which would identify which
                        Centers
                        > had films in their "Indefinite Loan" collection.
                        >
                        > I don't think the new system has that database. SLC knows
                        where
                        > all their films are at, so it should be able to make that
                        information
                        > available at their website:
                        >
                        > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp
                        >
                        > It might be there but I haven't fully explored wverything that
                        is
                        > available.
                        >
                        > Best way is simply call all the Centers in your area and ask
                        if
                        > they have the films you seek.

                        > .

                      • Chris Smolinski