Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: LDS Microfilm "restricted"

  • Roman
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
      Did your FHC get the film? Do your research on it and then suggest that
      you found nothing to merit restriction.

      I have encountered something similar a while back. My take on this is
      that the restriction may be geographically based, that is, restricted
      for distribution to some countries but not others. Or it may contain
      records less than a hundred years old and await a valid release date.
      Nevertheless, I have been able to examine similar films.

      Roman

      krupniak wrote:
      > Chris Smolinski wrote:
      >> Does anyone know what it means for an LDS microfilm to be
      >> "restricted"? Placed a loan request for some church records, and
      > it
      >> came back to the FHC that way. The volunteers have no idea what it
      >> means, either.
      >

      > *********
      >
      > The microfilm contains records that the owner of the record
      > doesn't want the public to have free access to the record. A patron
      > can only access the microfilm in the main library in Salt Lake City.
      > The primary reason for restriction is privacy concerns, i.e. the
      > records contain information about person who are potentially still
      > alive.

    • Chris Smolinski
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
        No, they didn't get the film, they instead gave a refund on the loan fee.

        I called the FHL in Salt Lake City (I needed to ask them about
        something else anyway), and they said that it could be because they
        have exceeded the maximum allowed number of copies for the film, or
        that they are no longer allowed to make copies of it, the woman did
        not seem to exactly know. Which brings up a question, is there a way
        to find out which FHC have copies of which films? If I found on
        relatively nearby, I might be willing to drive there to see it (I am
        not willing to go to SLC, however ;-) FWIW, it is a film of some
        PA church records from the late 1700s and early 1800s, so I suspect
        there isn't anyone alive who is listed ;-)

        BTW, the reason for my call was to check on some films I ordered in
        January that still have not arrived. They said they are very backed
        up now, running more than 8 weeks late. So if anyone else has films
        on order, don't worry if they haven't come in yet.

        --

        ---
        Chris Smolinski

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
            Here's an answer I just spotted online on this topic...pretty much
            what folks here have suggested already, though.

            http://www.familytreemagazine.com/nowwhatonline/restricted.html

            --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Chris Smolinski

          • bluetea54@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
              What do you mean by "similar films"? Films that were restricted?

              How were you able to examine similar films?

              Judy

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                Some time ago I ordered a film or two that was restricted. It was
                shipped to the local FHC and I was able to research the contents.
                Although I no longer remember the details, I seem to recall that it
                contained data to about the WWI time frame.

                Roman

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                  Chris Smolinski wrote:

                  > No, they didn't get the film, they instead gave a refund on the
                  loan fee.

                  > I called the FHL in Salt Lake City (I needed to ask them about
                  > something else anyway), and they said that it could be because they
                  > have exceeded the maximum allowed number of copies for the film, or
                  > that they are no longer allowed to make copies of it, the woman did
                  > not seem to exactly know. Which brings up a question, is there a
                  way
                  > to find out which FHC have copies of which films? If I found on
                  > relatively nearby, I might be willing to drive there to see it (I
                  am
                  > not willing to go to SLC, however ;-)

                  Give each nearby FHC a call and ask if they have the microfilm that
                  you want in their indefinite loan and temporary loan collection.

                  > FWIW, it is a film of some PA church records from the late 1700s
                  > and early 1800s, so I suspect there isn't anyone alive who is
                  > listed ;-)

                  The church requested that the microfilm be restricted, or the
                  microfilm contains other non-related records and those records are
                  restricted, which restricts the access to the entire roll of
                  microfilm.

                  > BTW, the reason for my call was to check on some films I ordered in
                  > January that still have not arrived. They said they are very backed
                  > up now, running more than 8 weeks late. So if anyone else has films
                  > on order, don't worry if they haven't come in yet.

                  There's been a staff shortage in SLC distribution operations.

                • Dorothy Oksner
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                    It could also have copyright restrictions, meaning the film cannot be
                    duplicated and therefore cannot be released from the FHL.

                    --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Gregory"

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007

                      >Give each nearby FHC a call and ask if they have the microfilm that
                      >you want in their indefinite loan and temporary loan collection.

                      I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a central
                      list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers. I understand
                      there are things called "computers" that make it easy to keep such
                      lists ;-)

                      >> FWIW, it is a film of some PA church records from the late 1700s
                      >> and early 1800s, so I suspect there isn't anyone alive who is
                      >> listed ;-)
                      >

                      >The church requested that the microfilm be restricted, or the
                      >microfilm contains other non-related records and those records are
                      >restricted, which restricts the access to the entire roll of
                      >microfilm.

                      That's entirely possible, I haven't checked to see which other items
                      are on the film. I believe the Lutheran libary up the road in
                      Lancaster PA has the records, so worst case I can plan a day trip
                      there (sorry this isn't directly Galicia related, but I figured some
                      of the knowledgeable folks here would know about the FHL microfilms,
                      hence my posting here)

                      --

                      ---
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                        Hello Chris,

                        You wrote:

                        > I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a
                        > central list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers.
                        > I understand there are things called "computers" that make it
                        > easy to keep such lists ;-)

                        A long time ago (the old Family History Library catalog which was
                        in DOS mode), there was a database which would identify which Centers
                        had films in their "Indefinite Loan" collection.

                        I don't think the new system has that database. SLC knows where
                        all their films are at, so it should be able to make that information
                        available at their website:

                        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

                        It might be there but I haven't fully explored wverything that is
                        available.

                        Best way is simply call all the Centers in your area and ask if
                        they have the films you seek.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 4, 2007
                          Hello Chris,

                          I was informed that a "long time ago" (maybe prior to five years
                          ago) that Centers each year would send a report to SLC about the
                          microfilms that the Center has in its "Indefinite Loan" collection.
                          SLC would compile a database and make the database available the
                          former (a DOS, non-Internet) catalog program called "Family Search".

                          Many Centers still have the old Family Search program, but it
                          is no longer updated.

                          Thus, the only way to determine if a local Center has the
                          microfilms in their Indefinite Loan and Temporary Loan collections
                          is call them. It is however best to go that center because
                          Counselors will probably not have time to check for you.

                          _________

                          Lavrentiy

                          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
                          <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Chris,
                          >
                          > You wrote:
                          >
                          > > I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a
                          > > central list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers.
                          > > I understand there are things called "computers" that make it
                          > > easy to keep such lists ;-)
                          >

                          > A long time ago (the old Family History Library catalog which
                          was
                          > in DOS mode), there was a database which would identify which
                          Centers
                          > had films in their "Indefinite Loan" collection.
                          >
                          > I don't think the new system has that database. SLC knows
                          where
                          > all their films are at, so it should be able to make that
                          information
                          > available at their website:
                          >
                          > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp
                          >
                          > It might be there but I haven't fully explored wverything that
                          is
                          > available.
                          >
                          > Best way is simply call all the Centers in your area and ask
                          if
                          > they have the films you seek.

                          > .

                        • Chris Smolinski