Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Word Translation

  • Volodymyr Hulkevych
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hi,

      The english translation of the polish word Szewc is Shoemaker.

      Volodymyr

      Can anyone tell me whar the english translation
      is for the word Szewc ?
      Thank you
      John J.Sharek
      jjohnndot@comcast net

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2007
        jejdhs02 wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me whar the english translation
        > is for the word Szewc ?
        > Thank you
        > John J.Sharek
        > jjohnndot@comcast net

        ********

        shoemaker; bootmaker

      • jejdhs02
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2007
          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
          <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

          > jejdhs02 wrote:
          > >
          > > Can anyone tell me whar the english translation
          > > is for the word Szewc ?
          > > Thank you
          > > John J.Sharek
          > > jjohnndot@comcast net
          >
          > ********
          >

          > shoemaker; bootmaker

          Thank you Lavrentiy
        • jejdhs02
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 1, 2007
            --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Volodymyr Hulkevych
            <volodhulk@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > The english translation of the polish word Szewc is Shoemaker.
            >
            > Volodymyr
            > THANK YOU VOLODYMYR

          • Chris Smolinski
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
              Does anyone know what it means for an LDS microfilm to be
              "restricted"? Placed a loan request for some church records, and it
              came back to the FHC that way. The volunteers have no idea what it
              means, either.

              --

              ---
              Chris Smolinski
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                Chris Smolinski wrote:

                > Does anyone know what it means for an LDS microfilm to be
                > "restricted"? Placed a loan request for some church records, and
                it
                > came back to the FHC that way. The volunteers have no idea what it
                > means, either.

                *********

                The microfilm contains records that the owner of the record
                doesn't want the public to have free access to the record. A patron
                can only access the microfilm in the main library in Salt Lake City.
                The primary reason for restriction is privacy concerns, i.e. the
                records contain information about person who are potentially still
                alive.

              • Roman
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Did your FHC get the film? Do your research on it and then suggest that
                  you found nothing to merit restriction.

                  I have encountered something similar a while back. My take on this is
                  that the restriction may be geographically based, that is, restricted
                  for distribution to some countries but not others. Or it may contain
                  records less than a hundred years old and await a valid release date.
                  Nevertheless, I have been able to examine similar films.

                  Roman

                  krupniak wrote:
                  > Chris Smolinski wrote:
                  >> Does anyone know what it means for an LDS microfilm to be
                  >> "restricted"? Placed a loan request for some church records, and
                  > it
                  >> came back to the FHC that way. The volunteers have no idea what it
                  >> means, either.
                  >

                  > *********
                  >
                  > The microfilm contains records that the owner of the record
                  > doesn't want the public to have free access to the record. A patron
                  > can only access the microfilm in the main library in Salt Lake City.
                  > The primary reason for restriction is privacy concerns, i.e. the
                  > records contain information about person who are potentially still
                  > alive.

                • Chris Smolinski
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                    No, they didn't get the film, they instead gave a refund on the loan fee.

                    I called the FHL in Salt Lake City (I needed to ask them about
                    something else anyway), and they said that it could be because they
                    have exceeded the maximum allowed number of copies for the film, or
                    that they are no longer allowed to make copies of it, the woman did
                    not seem to exactly know. Which brings up a question, is there a way
                    to find out which FHC have copies of which films? If I found on
                    relatively nearby, I might be willing to drive there to see it (I am
                    not willing to go to SLC, however ;-) FWIW, it is a film of some
                    PA church records from the late 1700s and early 1800s, so I suspect
                    there isn't anyone alive who is listed ;-)

                    BTW, the reason for my call was to check on some films I ordered in
                    January that still have not arrived. They said they are very backed
                    up now, running more than 8 weeks late. So if anyone else has films
                    on order, don't worry if they haven't come in yet.

                    --

                    ---
                    Chris Smolinski
                    Black Cat Systems
                    http://www.blackcatsystems.com
                  • Kathleen Gregory

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                        Here's an answer I just spotted online on this topic...pretty much
                        what folks here have suggested already, though.

                        http://www.familytreemagazine.com/nowwhatonline/restricted.html

                        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Chris Smolinski

                      • bluetea54@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                          What do you mean by "similar films"? Films that were restricted?

                          How were you able to examine similar films?

                          Judy

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                            Some time ago I ordered a film or two that was restricted. It was
                            shipped to the local FHC and I was able to research the contents.
                            Although I no longer remember the details, I seem to recall that it
                            contained data to about the WWI time frame.

                            Roman

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                              Chris Smolinski wrote:

                              > No, they didn't get the film, they instead gave a refund on the
                              loan fee.

                              > I called the FHL in Salt Lake City (I needed to ask them about
                              > something else anyway), and they said that it could be because they
                              > have exceeded the maximum allowed number of copies for the film, or
                              > that they are no longer allowed to make copies of it, the woman did
                              > not seem to exactly know. Which brings up a question, is there a
                              way
                              > to find out which FHC have copies of which films? If I found on
                              > relatively nearby, I might be willing to drive there to see it (I
                              am
                              > not willing to go to SLC, however ;-)

                              Give each nearby FHC a call and ask if they have the microfilm that
                              you want in their indefinite loan and temporary loan collection.

                              > FWIW, it is a film of some PA church records from the late 1700s
                              > and early 1800s, so I suspect there isn't anyone alive who is
                              > listed ;-)

                              The church requested that the microfilm be restricted, or the
                              microfilm contains other non-related records and those records are
                              restricted, which restricts the access to the entire roll of
                              microfilm.

                              > BTW, the reason for my call was to check on some films I ordered in
                              > January that still have not arrived. They said they are very backed
                              > up now, running more than 8 weeks late. So if anyone else has films
                              > on order, don't worry if they haven't come in yet.

                              There's been a staff shortage in SLC distribution operations.

                            • Dorothy Oksner
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                                It could also have copyright restrictions, meaning the film cannot be
                                duplicated and therefore cannot be released from the FHL.

                                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Gregory"

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007

                                  >Give each nearby FHC a call and ask if they have the microfilm that
                                  >you want in their indefinite loan and temporary loan collection.

                                  I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a central
                                  list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers. I understand
                                  there are things called "computers" that make it easy to keep such
                                  lists ;-)

                                  >> FWIW, it is a film of some PA church records from the late 1700s
                                  >> and early 1800s, so I suspect there isn't anyone alive who is
                                  >> listed ;-)
                                  >

                                  >The church requested that the microfilm be restricted, or the
                                  >microfilm contains other non-related records and those records are
                                  >restricted, which restricts the access to the entire roll of
                                  >microfilm.

                                  That's entirely possible, I haven't checked to see which other items
                                  are on the film. I believe the Lutheran libary up the road in
                                  Lancaster PA has the records, so worst case I can plan a day trip
                                  there (sorry this isn't directly Galicia related, but I figured some
                                  of the knowledgeable folks here would know about the FHL microfilms,
                                  hence my posting here)

                                  --

                                  ---
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                                    Hello Chris,

                                    You wrote:

                                    > I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a
                                    > central list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers.
                                    > I understand there are things called "computers" that make it
                                    > easy to keep such lists ;-)

                                    A long time ago (the old Family History Library catalog which was
                                    in DOS mode), there was a database which would identify which Centers
                                    had films in their "Indefinite Loan" collection.

                                    I don't think the new system has that database. SLC knows where
                                    all their films are at, so it should be able to make that information
                                    available at their website:

                                    http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

                                    It might be there but I haven't fully explored wverything that is
                                    available.

                                    Best way is simply call all the Centers in your area and ask if
                                    they have the films you seek.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 4, 2007
                                      Hello Chris,

                                      I was informed that a "long time ago" (maybe prior to five years
                                      ago) that Centers each year would send a report to SLC about the
                                      microfilms that the Center has in its "Indefinite Loan" collection.
                                      SLC would compile a database and make the database available the
                                      former (a DOS, non-Internet) catalog program called "Family Search".

                                      Many Centers still have the old Family Search program, but it
                                      is no longer updated.

                                      Thus, the only way to determine if a local Center has the
                                      microfilms in their Indefinite Loan and Temporary Loan collections
                                      is call them. It is however best to go that center because
                                      Counselors will probably not have time to check for you.

                                      _________

                                      Lavrentiy

                                      <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                                      > Hello Chris,
                                      >
                                      > You wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a
                                      > > central list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers.
                                      > > I understand there are things called "computers" that make it
                                      > > easy to keep such lists ;-)
                                      >

                                      > A long time ago (the old Family History Library catalog which
                                      was
                                      > in DOS mode), there was a database which would identify which
                                      Centers
                                      > had films in their "Indefinite Loan" collection.
                                      >
                                      > I don't think the new system has that database. SLC knows
                                      where
                                      > all their films are at, so it should be able to make that
                                      information
                                      > available at their website:
                                      >
                                      > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp
                                      >
                                      > It might be there but I haven't fully explored wverything that
                                      is
                                      > available.
                                      >
                                      > Best way is simply call all the Centers in your area and ask
                                      if
                                      > they have the films you seek.

                                      > .

                                    • Chris Smolinski