Word Translation

  • jejdhs02
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31, 2007
      Can anyone tell me whar the english translation
      is for the word Szewc ?
      Thank you
      John J.Sharek
      jjohnndot@comcast net
    • Volodymyr Hulkevych
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2007
        Hi,

        The english translation of the polish word Szewc is Shoemaker.

        Volodymyr

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2007
          jejdhs02 wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me whar the english translation
          > is for the word Szewc ?
          > Thank you
          > John J.Sharek
          > jjohnndot@comcast net

          ********

          shoemaker; bootmaker

        • jejdhs02
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 1, 2007
            --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
            <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

            > jejdhs02 wrote:
            > >
            > > Can anyone tell me whar the english translation
            > > is for the word Szewc ?
            > > Thank you
            > > John J.Sharek
            > > jjohnndot@comcast net
            >
            > ********
            >

            > shoemaker; bootmaker

            Thank you Lavrentiy
          • jejdhs02
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 1, 2007
              --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Volodymyr Hulkevych
              <volodhulk@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > The english translation of the polish word Szewc is Shoemaker.
              >
              > Volodymyr
              > THANK YOU VOLODYMYR

            • Chris Smolinski
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                Does anyone know what it means for an LDS microfilm to be
                "restricted"? Placed a loan request for some church records, and it
                came back to the FHC that way. The volunteers have no idea what it
                means, either.

                --

                ---
                Chris Smolinski
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Chris Smolinski wrote:

                  > Does anyone know what it means for an LDS microfilm to be
                  > "restricted"? Placed a loan request for some church records, and
                  it
                  > came back to the FHC that way. The volunteers have no idea what it
                  > means, either.

                  *********

                  The microfilm contains records that the owner of the record
                  doesn't want the public to have free access to the record. A patron
                  can only access the microfilm in the main library in Salt Lake City.
                  The primary reason for restriction is privacy concerns, i.e. the
                  records contain information about person who are potentially still
                  alive.

                • Roman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Did your FHC get the film? Do your research on it and then suggest that
                    you found nothing to merit restriction.

                    I have encountered something similar a while back. My take on this is
                    that the restriction may be geographically based, that is, restricted
                    for distribution to some countries but not others. Or it may contain
                    records less than a hundred years old and await a valid release date.
                    Nevertheless, I have been able to examine similar films.

                    Roman

                    krupniak wrote:
                    > Chris Smolinski wrote:
                    >> Does anyone know what it means for an LDS microfilm to be
                    >> "restricted"? Placed a loan request for some church records, and
                    > it
                    >> came back to the FHC that way. The volunteers have no idea what it
                    >> means, either.
                    >

                    > *********
                    >
                    > The microfilm contains records that the owner of the record
                    > doesn't want the public to have free access to the record. A patron
                    > can only access the microfilm in the main library in Salt Lake City.
                    > The primary reason for restriction is privacy concerns, i.e. the
                    > records contain information about person who are potentially still
                    > alive.

                  • Chris Smolinski
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                      No, they didn't get the film, they instead gave a refund on the loan fee.

                      I called the FHL in Salt Lake City (I needed to ask them about
                      something else anyway), and they said that it could be because they
                      have exceeded the maximum allowed number of copies for the film, or
                      that they are no longer allowed to make copies of it, the woman did
                      not seem to exactly know. Which brings up a question, is there a way
                      to find out which FHC have copies of which films? If I found on
                      relatively nearby, I might be willing to drive there to see it (I am
                      not willing to go to SLC, however ;-) FWIW, it is a film of some
                      PA church records from the late 1700s and early 1800s, so I suspect
                      there isn't anyone alive who is listed ;-)

                      BTW, the reason for my call was to check on some films I ordered in
                      January that still have not arrived. They said they are very backed
                      up now, running more than 8 weeks late. So if anyone else has films
                      on order, don't worry if they haven't come in yet.

                      --

                      ---
                      Chris Smolinski
                      Black Cat Systems
                      http://www.blackcatsystems.com
                    • Kathleen Gregory

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                          Here's an answer I just spotted online on this topic...pretty much
                          what folks here have suggested already, though.

                          http://www.familytreemagazine.com/nowwhatonline/restricted.html

                          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Chris Smolinski

                        • bluetea54@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                            What do you mean by "similar films"? Films that were restricted?

                            How were you able to examine similar films?

                            Judy

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 2, 2007
                              Some time ago I ordered a film or two that was restricted. It was
                              shipped to the local FHC and I was able to research the contents.
                              Although I no longer remember the details, I seem to recall that it
                              contained data to about the WWI time frame.

                              Roman

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                                Chris Smolinski wrote:

                                > No, they didn't get the film, they instead gave a refund on the
                                loan fee.

                                > I called the FHL in Salt Lake City (I needed to ask them about
                                > something else anyway), and they said that it could be because they
                                > have exceeded the maximum allowed number of copies for the film, or
                                > that they are no longer allowed to make copies of it, the woman did
                                > not seem to exactly know. Which brings up a question, is there a
                                way
                                > to find out which FHC have copies of which films? If I found on
                                > relatively nearby, I might be willing to drive there to see it (I
                                am
                                > not willing to go to SLC, however ;-)

                                Give each nearby FHC a call and ask if they have the microfilm that
                                you want in their indefinite loan and temporary loan collection.

                                > FWIW, it is a film of some PA church records from the late 1700s
                                > and early 1800s, so I suspect there isn't anyone alive who is
                                > listed ;-)

                                The church requested that the microfilm be restricted, or the
                                microfilm contains other non-related records and those records are
                                restricted, which restricts the access to the entire roll of
                                microfilm.

                                > BTW, the reason for my call was to check on some films I ordered in
                                > January that still have not arrived. They said they are very backed
                                > up now, running more than 8 weeks late. So if anyone else has films
                                > on order, don't worry if they haven't come in yet.

                                There's been a staff shortage in SLC distribution operations.

                              • Dorothy Oksner
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                                  It could also have copyright restrictions, meaning the film cannot be
                                  duplicated and therefore cannot be released from the FHL.

                                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Gregory"

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007

                                    >Give each nearby FHC a call and ask if they have the microfilm that
                                    >you want in their indefinite loan and temporary loan collection.

                                    I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a central
                                    list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers. I understand
                                    there are things called "computers" that make it easy to keep such
                                    lists ;-)

                                    >> FWIW, it is a film of some PA church records from the late 1700s
                                    >> and early 1800s, so I suspect there isn't anyone alive who is
                                    >> listed ;-)
                                    >

                                    >The church requested that the microfilm be restricted, or the
                                    >microfilm contains other non-related records and those records are
                                    >restricted, which restricts the access to the entire roll of
                                    >microfilm.

                                    That's entirely possible, I haven't checked to see which other items
                                    are on the film. I believe the Lutheran libary up the road in
                                    Lancaster PA has the records, so worst case I can plan a day trip
                                    there (sorry this isn't directly Galicia related, but I figured some
                                    of the knowledgeable folks here would know about the FHL microfilms,
                                    hence my posting here)

                                    --

                                    ---
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 3, 2007
                                      Hello Chris,

                                      You wrote:

                                      > I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a
                                      > central list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers.
                                      > I understand there are things called "computers" that make it
                                      > easy to keep such lists ;-)

                                      A long time ago (the old Family History Library catalog which was
                                      in DOS mode), there was a database which would identify which Centers
                                      had films in their "Indefinite Loan" collection.

                                      I don't think the new system has that database. SLC knows where
                                      all their films are at, so it should be able to make that information
                                      available at their website:

                                      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

                                      It might be there but I haven't fully explored wverything that is
                                      available.

                                      Best way is simply call all the Centers in your area and ask if
                                      they have the films you seek.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 4, 2007
                                        Hello Chris,

                                        I was informed that a "long time ago" (maybe prior to five years
                                        ago) that Centers each year would send a report to SLC about the
                                        microfilms that the Center has in its "Indefinite Loan" collection.
                                        SLC would compile a database and make the database available the
                                        former (a DOS, non-Internet) catalog program called "Family Search".

                                        Many Centers still have the old Family Search program, but it
                                        is no longer updated.

                                        Thus, the only way to determine if a local Center has the
                                        microfilms in their Indefinite Loan and Temporary Loan collections
                                        is call them. It is however best to go that center because
                                        Counselors will probably not have time to check for you.

                                        _________

                                        Lavrentiy

                                        <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                                        > Hello Chris,
                                        >
                                        > You wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > I was hoping there was something easier than that, like a
                                        > > central list the FHL keeps of which films are at which centers.
                                        > > I understand there are things called "computers" that make it
                                        > > easy to keep such lists ;-)
                                        >

                                        > A long time ago (the old Family History Library catalog which
                                        was
                                        > in DOS mode), there was a database which would identify which
                                        Centers
                                        > had films in their "Indefinite Loan" collection.
                                        >
                                        > I don't think the new system has that database. SLC knows
                                        where
                                        > all their films are at, so it should be able to make that
                                        information
                                        > available at their website:
                                        >
                                        > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp
                                        >
                                        > It might be there but I haven't fully explored wverything that
                                        is
                                        > available.
                                        >
                                        > Best way is simply call all the Centers in your area and ask
                                        if
                                        > they have the films you seek.

                                        > .

                                      • Chris Smolinski