Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: Help with town name on Ellis Island manifest, surname: Lesny

  • ms
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
      Elaine,

      Since three children were born outside the US, their papers can give you information also. This could include their Social Security applications, military papers, etc.

      Best wishes in your search,
      Mary

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
        I'm almost certain that "Amina" is an incorrect spelling. I belive
        that the place name begins with a K. There are many places in
        Slovakia, that were in Hungary at that time, that it could be.

        -- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
        <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

        > Hello Dennis,
        >

        > Anina, Romania can't be the place because no Slovaks resided in
        > that area. Either Anina is not the spelling or "Slovak" is the
        > incorrect ethnicity of the family.
        >

        > Elaine, find the immigration record (arrival record) of Johann
        > Lesny and let's see what it provides.

        > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Benarz"
        > <benarz@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Elaine
        > >
        > > The town's name is ANINA and it is currently located in Romania.
        It
        > > is about 80 miles ENE of Belgrad and 215 miles WNW of Bucharest.
        > > Before the turmoil of World War I, this area was called
        Staierdorf-
        > > Anina in Krasso-Szoreny County of the Kingdom of Hungary in the
        > > Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
        > >
        > > The clerk who wrote the manifest originally gave their country as
        > > Hungary and their ethnicity as "Magyar" (ethnic Hungarian).
        > However,
        > > their ethnicity was subsequently corrected to "Slowak" (probably
        at
        > > Ellis Island).
        > >
        > > There is nothing on this manifest to support any family legends
        > > regarding possible Polish or Ukrainian ethnicity. This group was
        > > Slovak.
        > >
        > > Seasons Greetings!
        > >
        > > Dennis
        > >

        > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "elainemazur"
        > > <elainemazur@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I need help in deciphering a town name on an Ellis Island
        > manifest.
        > > > My great grandmother, Maria Lesny, is on this manifest along
        with
        > > her
        > > > children Rosa (my grandmother, Rose Lesny Mazur), Michael, and
        > > Julie
        > > > (Julie Lesny Charchan). They arrived on 28 April 1902. Maria
        > Lesny
        > > > was married to John Lesny.
        > > >
        > > > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?
        > > > MID=10187288750257053344&pID=102749040255&fromEI=1
        > > >
        > > > At first, the town name looked like "Amina" to me. When I went
        > back
        > > > and viewed it several months later, it appeared to be "Imina."
        My
        > > > great grandparents had a farm in Deep River Township, MI. Their
        > > name
        > > > is spelled Leshnie on one census. Their language changes on the
        > > > various census' from Polish, Slovak, and Ukranian, although I'm
        > > > fairly certain their language was Polish.
        > > >
        > > > Using Imina and Amina on the Jewishgen.org database brings up
        too
        > > > many towns to even guess at.
        > > >
        > > > I did order my great grandfather's death certificate from the
        > state
        > > > of Michigan but, unfortunately, it listed Galicia as the place
        of
        > > > birth with no town name.
        > > >
        > > > Surnames: Lesny/Lesney/Leshnie/Lesniak/Mazur
        > > >
        > > > Thank you!
        > > >
        > > > Elaine Mazur

      • Kathleen Gregory
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
          the information below is an accurate transcription of the original. Perhaps Amina is a 'sounds like' name.

          Kathleen
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
            When I searched ShetlSeeker for 'amina' in Hungary using the 'sounds like' feature I received only one hit.

            Ónána 46°28' 18°30' E M U Hungary 76.5 miles SSW of Budapest 47°30' 19°5'

            Click on E M or U for a map.

            Kathleen

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
              The ship's purser made an error in spelling.

              --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Gregory"

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
                There is, IMHO, zero chance that the Lesny family are from Ónána.