Re: Help with town name on Ellis Island manifest, surname: Lesny

  • Dennis Benarz
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
      Hi Elaine

      Your grandmother's reasoning that marrying a Pole made one Polish had
      some basis in then-contemporary legal thought. In any event, both of
      your grandparents were from West Slavic tribes - Wislanie and Slovak -
      who share a lot in common.

      MAZUR is a fairly common Polish surname, especially in southern
      Poland (Silesia and Malopolska). I'm familiar with the surname
      because there are a number of MAZURs in the records of my ancestral
      parish near Debica, between Tarnow and Rzeszow. In 1900, WYDRNA was
      part of the Roman Catholic parish at DYDNIA, in the administrative
      district and township of Brzozow, and about 15 miles east of Krosno.
      And WYDRNA would be about 21 miles from the Polish-Slovak border;
      thus your grandfather may have already been familiar with the charm
      of Slovak gals.

      Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

      Dennis

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Mazur
      <elainemazur@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for all of the input. In regards to Lavrentiy's initial
      response, I do know that these are the right ancestors. Their listed
      language and/or ethnicity changed on the various census records, as
      did the spelling of their names. I was recently told that the one
      aunt didn't like being Polish, so she reported a different language
      was spoken at home. My grandmother Rose, married my grandfather Josef
      Mazur who was from Wydrna, Poland, and my grandmother's reasoning was
      that if you married someone who was Polish, than that made you
      Polish. (?????!) I have very vague memories of someone saying they
      thought she was Ukranian.

      > Another bit of info - Maria Lesny's maiden name, according to my
      grandmother's marriage certificate, was Dubriski.

      > While Johan Lesny initially went to McKees Rocks, PA, most
      probably to work in the steel mills or mining, he went on to own a
      farm in Deep River Township, MI.

      > I've never been able to find Johan Lesny's manifest record but
      I'll keep searching. I just found Josef Mazur's by accident, after
      methodically searching for it for a long time. I guess the next thing
      to do is obtain Johan Lesny's naturalization records.

      > Thank you and Happy New Year!
      >
      > Elaine

    • ms
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
        Elaine,

        Since three children were born outside the US, their papers can give you information also. This could include their Social Security applications, military papers, etc.

        Best wishes in your search,
        Mary

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
          I'm almost certain that "Amina" is an incorrect spelling. I belive
          that the place name begins with a K. There are many places in
          Slovakia, that were in Hungary at that time, that it could be.

          -- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
          <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

          > Hello Dennis,
          >

          > Anina, Romania can't be the place because no Slovaks resided in
          > that area. Either Anina is not the spelling or "Slovak" is the
          > incorrect ethnicity of the family.
          >

          > Elaine, find the immigration record (arrival record) of Johann
          > Lesny and let's see what it provides.

          > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Benarz"
          > <benarz@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Elaine
          > >
          > > The town's name is ANINA and it is currently located in Romania.
          It
          > > is about 80 miles ENE of Belgrad and 215 miles WNW of Bucharest.
          > > Before the turmoil of World War I, this area was called
          Staierdorf-
          > > Anina in Krasso-Szoreny County of the Kingdom of Hungary in the
          > > Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
          > >
          > > The clerk who wrote the manifest originally gave their country as
          > > Hungary and their ethnicity as "Magyar" (ethnic Hungarian).
          > However,
          > > their ethnicity was subsequently corrected to "Slowak" (probably
          at
          > > Ellis Island).
          > >
          > > There is nothing on this manifest to support any family legends
          > > regarding possible Polish or Ukrainian ethnicity. This group was
          > > Slovak.
          > >
          > > Seasons Greetings!
          > >
          > > Dennis
          > >

          > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "elainemazur"
          > > <elainemazur@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I need help in deciphering a town name on an Ellis Island
          > manifest.
          > > > My great grandmother, Maria Lesny, is on this manifest along
          with
          > > her
          > > > children Rosa (my grandmother, Rose Lesny Mazur), Michael, and
          > > Julie
          > > > (Julie Lesny Charchan). They arrived on 28 April 1902. Maria
          > Lesny
          > > > was married to John Lesny.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?
          > > > MID=10187288750257053344&pID=102749040255&fromEI=1
          > > >
          > > > At first, the town name looked like "Amina" to me. When I went
          > back
          > > > and viewed it several months later, it appeared to be "Imina."
          My
          > > > great grandparents had a farm in Deep River Township, MI. Their
          > > name
          > > > is spelled Leshnie on one census. Their language changes on the
          > > > various census' from Polish, Slovak, and Ukranian, although I'm
          > > > fairly certain their language was Polish.
          > > >
          > > > Using Imina and Amina on the Jewishgen.org database brings up
          too
          > > > many towns to even guess at.
          > > >
          > > > I did order my great grandfather's death certificate from the
          > state
          > > > of Michigan but, unfortunately, it listed Galicia as the place
          of
          > > > birth with no town name.
          > > >
          > > > Surnames: Lesny/Lesney/Leshnie/Lesniak/Mazur
          > > >
          > > > Thank you!
          > > >
          > > > Elaine Mazur

        • Kathleen Gregory
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
            the information below is an accurate transcription of the original. Perhaps Amina is a 'sounds like' name.

            Kathleen
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
              When I searched ShetlSeeker for 'amina' in Hungary using the 'sounds like' feature I received only one hit.

              Ónána 46°28' 18°30' E M U Hungary 76.5 miles SSW of Budapest 47°30' 19°5'

              Click on E M or U for a map.

              Kathleen

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
                The ship's purser made an error in spelling.

                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Gregory"

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
                  There is, IMHO, zero chance that the Lesny family are from Ónána.