{Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re:numerical notation on passenger ship manifest

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2006
      INS Form 505 is not necessarily associated with naturalization
      application processing.

      From: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1709/Alfano1b.htm

      Verification of Arrival
      Whenever an alien's case comes before the INS, officers must first
      determine the alien's status before they can proceed. For this
      reason, the INS made constant use of its manifest records to verify
      arrival information. Arrival manifests, especially those dating prior
      to July 1924, were checked in response to any application for
      immigration benefits. Such benefits might include issuance of the
      reentry permits discussed above or replacement of Immigrant
      Indentification Cards (after 1928), or they might relate to a
      nonquota via application for the relative of a permanent resident
      alien. Whatever the issue, verification clerks would check to see
      that a given immigrant had indeed been admitted at a certain port on
      a specific date and that they had been granted permanent residence.

      Similar annotations resulted from law enforcement activities.
      Whenever immigrations officers arrested a noncitizen, they requested
      a record check to determine the conditions of the alien's presence in
      the United States and local law enforcement officials also could
      request a record check for any alien in their custody. If no arrival
      record could be found, or if the arrival record indicated that the
      individual had been admitted for only a temporary stay, the INS might
      initiate deportation proceedings.

      Whether in response to benefit application or as a law enforcement
      measure, verification clerks issued a standard form to answer routine
      verification requests. Generally, the used Immigration Service Form
      505, entitled either "Verification of Landing" or "Certificate of
      Admission of Alien", which had blank spaces for each item of
      information normally found on the manifest. The clerk transcribed all
      information found on the manifest to the form and mailed the form to
      the INS office requesting the verification. Obviously, it was more
      efficient to use this system than to transfer the original manifest
      record that by now was bound into a 20-pound book. Manifest records
      bearing the notation "[date] 505'" were checked at some time for some
      unknown reason. If a researcher is familiar enough with an
      immigrant's life, the verification date may serve to corroborate
      certain facts or events. Otherwise, verificiation annotations
      of "505" reveal nothing more than there was something that prompted a
      record check. Few Form 505 documents have survived because they were
      considered "housekeeping" records - tossed as soon as they served
      their purpose.

      "Irene" <ibaranski@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to all for your help and suggestions about the manifest and
      location of the g-grandfather for my friend in Poland. On the draft
      registration in 1917 he was working in Dearborn, MI at Ford Motor
      Co. In the 1920 census I could not find him. However, he was in the
      1920 City of Detroit Directory. I was told that the City Directory
      was done in 1919 but came out in 1920. I could not find him in the
      1930 census. In 1936 he applied for his papers, District 6,
      Pittsburg and I assumed he moved to Pa seeking employment. I also
      had a death search done for him in PA from 1936 - 1946 and the result
      was negative. He could not be found in the 1942 draft registration
      in PA. and MI is not complete.

      > Laurence thanks also for your explanation for Form 505 and 404. I
      have included the manifest.

      > Thank You,
      >
      > Irene
      >

      > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipmanifest.asp?
      order_num=1584781257&MID=04820476920013619104&order_num=1584781257&ORD
      ER_ID=1500311159&FNM=MATEUSZ&LNM=SAMSLEWSKI&PLNM=SAMSLEWSKI&first_kind
      =1&last_kind=0&TOWN=null&SHIP=null&RF=1&pID=101889080201