{Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re:numerical notation on passenger ship manifest

  • seraph1818
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
      Irene,
      In 1930 a Mike SAMOLEWSKI lived in Paw Paw, Marion County, W.V. The
      date of entry to the U.S. is wrong, but it looks like it could be
      your guy. He is living w/ people of Hungarian descent and is listed
      as a boarder. This household had 2 boarders w/ the other one from
      Yugoslavia.

      I wanted to send it to you, but didn't know your email address. I
      found this at ancestry. If you want me to send it, just let me know
      how to get it to you.

      BTW, I just love the name Paw Paw for a town. I remember a song
      from nursery school back in the 1950s about picking paw paws and
      putting them in your basket. I have no clue what a paw paw is, but
      have always found the word interesting.

      Debbie
      California

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Irene"
      <ibaranski@...> wrote:

      > Darlene,
      >
      > Thank you for the information on Samulewski. I took your
      suggestion and told my sister and she immediately went to the
      website for West Virginia and found a death for Mike Somoleski. He
      was also Mike in the Detroit City Directory in 1920. This is not
      too unusual. He was found in the County of Marion and the city of
      Fairmont in W.VA. It has the Social Security # and my sister plans
      to write for the application. This should tell us the name of his
      mother and father.

      > The tragedy is that he was alone. He left his wife and children
      in Poland. This is the third person that my sister and I have
      located for someome in Poland. One died in Florida. I called the
      cemetery and they took a picture of the tombstone which I sent to
      the family. They were very grateful. The second one was buried in
      the pauper's cemetery in New York City. He was only here 7 years.

      > Leave no stone unturned. You never know what you will find.
      >
      > Irene,

      > Hi Irene,
      >
      > Did you notice this record?
      >
      > U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 Record
      >
      > Name: Mat Samolski
      >
      > Birth Date: 18 Sep 1877
      >
      > Residence: Marion, West Virginia
      >
      > Birth: Poland
      >
      > Race: White
      >
      > Roll: WW2_2240229
      >
      > Also, do you know if Matrusz had any children? I'm sure you have
      done a thorough seach of the census but maybe another "pair of eyes"
      can help. <g>

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2006
        INS Form 505 is not necessarily associated with naturalization
        application processing.

        From: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1709/Alfano1b.htm

        Verification of Arrival
        Whenever an alien's case comes before the INS, officers must first
        determine the alien's status before they can proceed. For this
        reason, the INS made constant use of its manifest records to verify
        arrival information. Arrival manifests, especially those dating prior
        to July 1924, were checked in response to any application for
        immigration benefits. Such benefits might include issuance of the
        reentry permits discussed above or replacement of Immigrant
        Indentification Cards (after 1928), or they might relate to a
        nonquota via application for the relative of a permanent resident
        alien. Whatever the issue, verification clerks would check to see
        that a given immigrant had indeed been admitted at a certain port on
        a specific date and that they had been granted permanent residence.

        Similar annotations resulted from law enforcement activities.
        Whenever immigrations officers arrested a noncitizen, they requested
        a record check to determine the conditions of the alien's presence in
        the United States and local law enforcement officials also could
        request a record check for any alien in their custody. If no arrival
        record could be found, or if the arrival record indicated that the
        individual had been admitted for only a temporary stay, the INS might
        initiate deportation proceedings.

        Whether in response to benefit application or as a law enforcement
        measure, verification clerks issued a standard form to answer routine
        verification requests. Generally, the used Immigration Service Form
        505, entitled either "Verification of Landing" or "Certificate of
        Admission of Alien", which had blank spaces for each item of
        information normally found on the manifest. The clerk transcribed all
        information found on the manifest to the form and mailed the form to
        the INS office requesting the verification. Obviously, it was more
        efficient to use this system than to transfer the original manifest
        record that by now was bound into a 20-pound book. Manifest records
        bearing the notation "[date] 505'" were checked at some time for some
        unknown reason. If a researcher is familiar enough with an
        immigrant's life, the verification date may serve to corroborate
        certain facts or events. Otherwise, verificiation annotations
        of "505" reveal nothing more than there was something that prompted a
        record check. Few Form 505 documents have survived because they were
        considered "housekeeping" records - tossed as soon as they served
        their purpose.

        "Irene" <ibaranski@...> wrote:

        > Thanks to all for your help and suggestions about the manifest and
        location of the g-grandfather for my friend in Poland. On the draft
        registration in 1917 he was working in Dearborn, MI at Ford Motor
        Co. In the 1920 census I could not find him. However, he was in the
        1920 City of Detroit Directory. I was told that the City Directory
        was done in 1919 but came out in 1920. I could not find him in the
        1930 census. In 1936 he applied for his papers, District 6,
        Pittsburg and I assumed he moved to Pa seeking employment. I also
        had a death search done for him in PA from 1936 - 1946 and the result
        was negative. He could not be found in the 1942 draft registration
        in PA. and MI is not complete.

        > Laurence thanks also for your explanation for Form 505 and 404. I
        have included the manifest.

        > Thank You,
        >
        > Irene
        >

        > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipmanifest.asp?
        order_num=1584781257&MID=04820476920013619104&order_num=1584781257&ORD
        ER_ID=1500311159&FNM=MATEUSZ&LNM=SAMSLEWSKI&PLNM=SAMSLEWSKI&first_kind
        =1&last_kind=0&TOWN=null&SHIP=null&RF=1&pID=101889080201