Austria Hungary Military Records Post 1867

  • mmessinger@macalester.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
      Hi!
      Does anyone know how many of the post 1867 Austria Hungary military records survive for Galicia and where they are located? I believe they were sent to the individual districts to be held. I am interested in the records from Mikolajowice (Tarnow), Straszecin and Gawrzylowa (Debica), and Jodlowa. Thanks!
      ~Michael Messinger~
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
        Hello Michael,

        Polish State Archives responds to inquiries that they do not have
        Austrian-era military records.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
          Also see:

          http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/PolandBorderSurnames/2004-
          12/1102781627

          or http://tinyurl.com/kbuhf

          http://www.noe.gv.at/SERVICE/K/k2/genealogy.htm

          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
            Karen Hobbs provided the following additional information:

            My understanding is that there was almost always ONE battalion of the
            home regiment stationed at home as well as one associated landwehr
            Battalion.

            You might say that is about 40% of the full regimental strength at
            any given time except during a war.

            During war the Landwehr regiment might be the only one left at home --
            20%.

            The HQ battalion and one other were usually stationed somewhere else
            but they could also be at "home" from time to time. Those station
            changes are listed in the Kasperkovitz book.

            The HQ Bn and another could be stationed outside the country as well
            as outside the recruiting district.

            The 4th Battalion may have been posted by itself to a third station.

            Even during a war the entire regiment may not be sent to the front.
            I found that one Bn of my ancestral regiment may have been stationed
            in Budapest which the rest were at war in Bohemia in 1866. I am
            basing that conjecture on seeing Kirchenbuch death reports from
            Cholera in Budapest BEFORE the regiment retreated through Hungary and
            left their sick and wounded men behind.

            When possible, war wounded were sent to their home area to be tended
            by their relatives in a military or other hospital or in another
            location.

            During WW I, there is a dispositions chart for 1914 at Glenn Jewisons
            website that indicates at least one Bn may have been detached from
            most regiments .

            The army did not recruit full strength Bn during peacetime, only
            during mobilization for war. A typical Bn could be 20% under
            strength during
            peacetime.

            One regimental history I have for IR 35 tells where each Bn. was
            stationed each time there was a change. I would hope that the
            Galician regimental histories could provide the same data if they are
            available. You can always write to the war archive or Vladimir
            Bohnic and ask them to research that in the histories they have (for
            a certain period of years) if you are willing to pay what it costs.

            If you have access to the World Catalog, look for the histories
            there, first. I have seen a lot of them at Stanford, Harvard, Yale
            and NYCity
            Library.

            Hope that helps.

            Karen