Re: [Galicia_Poland_Ukraine] Surnames Krudzo / Kukurudzo

  • Irene
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2006
      Kathy, John, Judie, Laurence, Paulette, and Bill. many many thanks for your fantastic offers. I'm going to follow through and hope that I am able to find the town that they left in Galicia. I should have mentioned that they came in 1905. My father's Canadian manifest only mentioned the country where he was born. Possibly I may have to check the border crossing of one of the other children who were born in Galicia since my cousin's husband was born in Manitoba.

      Thanks again, to all you wonderful folks with your great suggestions.

      Irene

    • El Nest
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2006
        Hey Irene,
        Needless to say, I have no idea where you reside, but I can say that, in addition to the search done by Kathy, the MTS Telephone Directory for Winnipeg [Manitoba, Canada] has two listings that you might wish to pursue. The names are the same [spelling] as the family that I knew which lived on a farm in the Gilbert Plains or Ethelbert municipality [just east of the Duck Mountains Forest Reserve, in the Dauphin region] and, most likely, are its descendents, and they are:

        1] B.L. Kokorudz-Gazley, 62 Moberly, WPG, [204] 224-1047; and

        2] S. Kokorudz, 1-1129 Taylor Ave., WPG, [204] 489-1640;

        And, that spelling [Kokorudz] is the exact spelling of the name that translates into "corn" in English. I lost contact with the family of
        Kokorudz apx. 55 years ago, but prior to that used to see one of the guys regularly at socials and midnight frolics. Hope this info is of use to you. Out of curiosity, I will phone both these parties and see from where they hail.

        Ed