Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: Rzepnik

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 4, 2006
      Hello Dennis,

      The following is incorrect:

      In 1934, Rzepnik joined a schism with the Catholic Church and was
      incorporated into the Orthodox "Apostolskiej Administracji
      Lemkowszczynyzny".

      In 1934, 9 deaneries were taken from the Greek Catholic Eparchy of
      Peremyshl to form the Greek Catholic Apostolic Admin. of Lemkivshchyna.
      The Greek Catholic Apostolic Admin. of Lemkivshchyna was not Orthodox
      (i.e. not part of the Orthodox Church).

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2006
        From: http://www.lemko.org/lih/churchir/chirrelbackg.html

        After the partitioning of Poland, the territory of the Peremyshl
        eparchy was included in the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. Here, the church
        was treated relatively well until 1934, and church activities were
        broadened to include schools, reading houses, cooperatives, credit
        unions, and clubs promoting sobriety.

        On February 10, 1934, Rome, under pressure from the Polish
        government and church authorities, separated the Lemko deaneries from
        the eparchy of Peremyshl, and appointed an Apostolic Administrator for
        them. The Polish plan for these deaneries was their quick assimilation
        and inclusion into the Roman Catholic Church.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 4, 2006
          Laurence Krupnak <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

          > From: http://www.lemko.org/lih/churchir/chirrelbackg.html
          >

          > After the partitioning of Poland, the territory of the Peremyshl
          > eparchy was included in the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. Here, the
          church
          > was treated relatively well until 1934, and church

          i.e. the Greek Catholic Church, for Austria forbide the Orthodox
          Church in Galicia.

        • Dennis Benarz
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2006
            Hi Lavrentiy

            Thanks again for the clarification.

            However, the nagging problem that continues is this: the church at
            Rzepnik is well-maintained and apparently is used at least
            occasionally but no one seems to claim it. It doesn't appear in the
            rosters of either of the Roman Catholic diocese in the area, Rzeszow
            and Przemysl. It doesn't appear in the rosters of any of the three
            Greek Catholic deaneries in the area nor does it appear in the roster
            of the Orthodox Church of Poland. I also tried looking for it as
            a "special" sanctuary/shrine without success. And I cannot imagine
            its use a Protestant church given the general Protestant aversion to
            icons as "false idols".

            The church is in pretty nice shape. Somebody is paying for its
            continued maintainence. Who?

            Dennis

            --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "krupniak"
            <Lkrupnak@...> wrote:

            > Laurence Krupnak <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
            > >

            > > From: http://www.lemko.org/lih/churchir/chirrelbackg.html
            > >

            > > After the partitioning of Poland, the territory of the
            Peremyshl
            > > eparchy was included in the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. Here, the
            > church
            > > was treated relatively well until 1934, and church
            >

            > i.e. the Greek Catholic Church, for Austria forbide the Orthodox
            > Church in Galicia.
            >

            > > activities were
            > > broadened to include schools, reading houses, cooperatives, credit
            > > unions, and clubs promoting sobriety.
            > >
            > > On February 10, 1934, Rome, under pressure from the Polish
            > > government and church authorities, separated the Lemko deaneries
            > from
            > > the eparchy of Peremyshl, and appointed an Apostolic
            Administrator
            > for
            > > them. The Polish plan for these deaneries was their quick
            > assimilation
            > > and inclusion into the Roman Catholic Church.
            > >

            > > Laurence Krupnak wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello Dennis,
            > > >
            > > > The following is incorrect:
            > > >
            > > > In 1934, Rzepnik joined a schism with the Catholic Church
            and
            > was
            > > > incorporated into the Orthodox "Apostolskiej Administracji
            > > > Lemkowszczynyzny".
            > > >
            > > > In 1934, 9 deaneries were taken from the Greek Catholic
            > Eparchy of
            > > > Peremyshl to form the Greek Catholic Apostolic Admin. of
            > Lemkivshchyna.
            > > > The Greek Catholic Apostolic Admin. of Lemkivshchyna was not
            > Orthodox
            > > > (i.e. not part of the Orthodox Church).
            > > >
            > > > ______
            > > >
            > > > Lavrentiy
            > > >
            > > > .

            > following
            > entry
            > resources

            Krupnak

            > Ripnyk
            > Polish

            > information.

            > old
            > church
            > Leki
            > current
            > Rzeszow
            > notes

            > Parish
            > 1983.

            > villages in
            > at
            > sure. Will
            > confirming

          • Roman
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4, 2006
              Dennis,

              It's no secret - the Roman Catholic parish at Łęki Strzyżowskie.
              It is a filial church of that parish. See:

              http://www.wojaszowka.pl/koscioly.html

              http://www.wojaszowka.pl/miejscowosci.html

              http://www.rzeszow.opoka.org.pl/DEKANATY/Frysztak.htm

              http://www.odyssei.com/pl/travel-article/756-1.html

              http://wies-bratkowka.webpark.pl/cerkiewtekst.html

              http://www.wrota.podkarpackie.pl/res/bip/um/bud/sprawozdanie_z_budzetu_2002.pdf

              Roman

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                Dennis Benarz wrote:

                > Hi Lavrentiy
                >
                > Thanks again for the clarification.
                >
                > However, the nagging problem that continues is this: the church at
                > Rzepnik is well-maintained and apparently is used at least
                > occasionally but no one seems to claim it. It doesn't appear in the
                > rosters of either of the Roman Catholic diocese in the area, Rzeszow
                > and Przemysl. It doesn't appear in the rosters of any of the three
                > Greek Catholic deaneries in the area nor does it appear in the roster
                > of the Orthodox Church of Poland. I also tried looking for it as
                > a "special" sanctuary/shrine without success. And I cannot imagine
                > its use a Protestant church given the general Protestant aversion to
                > icons as "false idols".
                >
                > The church is in pretty nice shape. Somebody is paying for its
                > continued maintainence. Who?

                All I know about it is from Oleh Iwanusiw's book _Church in Ruins_.
                Oleh states that Saint Paraskeva is used by Polish Roman Catholics that
                reside in the area. Roman K. provided information about that.

                Here's an interesting fact that Oleh has:

                In 1882 a sobriety society was established by members of the parish.
                Owners of local pubs hired a person to burn the church.

              • Dennis Benarz
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                  Thnaks for the information, Roman and Lavrentiy, but I was looking
                  for the precise parish status and affiliation for Rzepnik. It would
                  appear that Rzepnik now serves as a filial RC parish but no source
                  has indicated precisely which parish.

                  > It's no secret - the Roman Catholic parish at Łęki Strzyżowskie.

                  Yes, it is still uncertain and a secret. None of the links/sources
                  provides a straight forward, unequivocal answer.

                  The Diocese of Rzeszow states that the village of Rzepnik is within
                  the territory of Laki Strzyzowskie Parish but makes no mention of a
                  filial church, sanktuarium, or shrine there. That is uncharacteristic
                  of the Diocese of Rzeszow, which normally provides such information
                  on filial churches plus the schedule of Holy Masses at filial
                  churches.

                  See: http://www.dieceza.rzeszow.pl/ . Click: "Parafia Diecezja" and
                  then enter "Laki Strzyzowskie".

                  I agree, it SHOULD be there, but it is not. And so I remain
                  suspicious and unconvinced.

                  The link below calls it a Greek Catholic church but then goes on to
                  say it is a filial Roman Catholic church, but nevers says to which
                  parish (Roman or Greek) it is filial to.

                  > http://www.wojaszowka.pl/koscioly.html

                  The link below does the exact same thing. It specifies no parish.

                  > http://www.wojaszowka.pl/miejscowosci.html

                  The link below provides no description of the parish territory nor
                  any evidence at all that a church structure even exists in Rzepnik.

                  > http://www.rzeszow.opoka.org.pl/DEKANATY/Frysztak.htm

                  The link below does not specify a parish.

                  > http://www.odyssei.com/pl/travel-article/756-1.html

                  The link below does not specify a parish.

                  > http://wies-bratkowka.webpark.pl/cerkiewtekst.html

                  And finally the link below takes me to the 2002 budget of Wrota-
                  Podkarpaskie, a government agency. I didn't read its 110 pages. Are
                  you suggesting that the church is maintained, at least in part, by
                  the government? That seems both plausible and logical.

                  http://www.wrota.podkarpackie.pl/res/bip/um/bud/sprawozdanie_z_budzetu
                  _2002.pdf

                  So, in the end, I'll leave things as they now are - with the simple
                  statement that Rzepnik's exact affiliation is "unclear".

                  Thanks, again.

                  Dennis

                • Roman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                    Look carefully. The evidence is there. That parish is paying for the
                    repair or upgrade of the roof. See the last reference, page 89, I think.
                    Other citations mention that it currently serves as a Roman Catholic
                    parish, and yet another one cites it to be a filial church. It all adds
                    up. As they like to say these days in Washington, "follow the money" and
                    "connect the dots".

                    You can always write the current pastor at Łąki and ask. :)

                    As you know, not all WEB administrators are diligent in keeping their
                    WEB sites fully informative, properly referenced, dated as well as kept
                    up to date. So I would not be surprised if the Polish diocese sites
                    don't have complete data on their churches.

                    Cheers,

                    Roman

                  • Dennis Benarz
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
                      Hi Roman

                      Perhaps I have nit-picked far too much with regard to Rzepnik.
                      Forgive me. Everything that you say makes sense, I just wish it was
                      less circumstantial.

                      What gnaws at me is the fact that Rzepnik is right on the current
                      boundary between the RC Diocese of Rzeszow and the RC Diocese of
                      Przemysl. While it is uncharacteristic (but always possible) of the
                      Diocese of Rzeszow to have accidently failed to include the church at
                      Rzepnik from its online descriptions of its deaneries and parishes,
                      it is very characteristic of the Diocese of Przemysl to make such an
                      ommision. In the past, I have found errors or incorrect images posted
                      at diocesan websites; some are better than others.

                      However, in larger scheme of things, it makes little difference. So I
                      won't loose any sleep over it.

                      p.s. "Follow the money" in Washington DC and you'll end up in a
                      congressman's office in the Rayburn Office Building on Capitol Hill
                      along with the FBI.

                      Thanks for your help. Cheers,

                      Dennis

                      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Roman <romanka@...>