8134Re: Switala surname

  • Brian J. Lenius
    Feb 7, 2006
      Thanks Andre (and Laurence).

      I am well aware of the mispellings or simply variations among
      surnames and Switalo/Switala is one that seems (even among the
      records I know of) to have had more variations even than most
      surnames. I think the German letter "S" with the "Sh" sound is close
      enough to the Polish "S" when it has the diactical mark. So there
      probably is not much difference there (all in the ear), although the
      Polish "elw" as I call it (letter "l" with stroke through it) is most
      often simply pronounced as the letter "l" in German. Maybe if I am
      off base, Fred would clarify for us.

      Yes, I am very well aware of William F. Hoffman's (Fred's) wonderful
      book on Surnames and the one on First Names as well. They are
      constant companions for me and among the few that are at my side for
      ease of daily use.

      However, my message did not have as much to do with the meaning or
      root of the name as it did with where the occurences of individuals
      or original geographic areas are located. So Andre, your message is
      informative in that way.

      I will forward the names of the colonies in Galizien to you when I am
      back in my library and also some of the occurences that I know of in

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Andre Switala
      <andre@...> wrote:
      > Hello Brian,
      > Among other spellings I have seen and that I think might
      > be related to
      > the Switala name are Schwitalla (mainly in Silesia), Schwiethal,
      > Schwital (which I saw in old Berlin address books) and also
      > more exotic
      > ones as Szwitala, Schwitulla, Swytala etc.
      > It seems to me, that most of the Switala's lived in the Posen area
      > (Wielkopolskie) and Silesia (with the different spellings as well).
      > Since those parts belonged for a long time to Preussen, the German
      > language might have been adopted and thus they might have
      > themselves as German.
      > In fact, the reason why I subscribed to this mailing list is, that
      > found a brother of my grandfather who got married in Galicia. His
      > was Waclaw (Venceslaus) Switala and he got married to Marya
      Pasierbek in
      > Antoniowka near Kochawina in 1917 (they lived in Jajkowce). The
      > record states, that at that time he was in the German Army and on
      > vacation/leave during that time. In the birth records around that
      time I
      > found one daughter that was born in 1919, with the name Jozefa
      > The records continue until the 1940s in the microfilm I currently
      > but no other birth was found there. So I think he might have moved
      > afterwards.
      > Could you please let me know where those German colonies where,
      that had
      > that name? I am always interested in finding new Switala's around
      > world, so I would appreciate any information you could give me on
      > Thanks in advance.
      > Andre
      > > >
      > bjlenius wrote:
      > > Hi Andre,
      > >
      > > Just wondering about your surname. One of the many surnames from
      > > German Catholic colonies in Galicia is Switalo. It always seemed
      to me
      > > unlike a German surname. Anything you can tell me about yours?
      > >
      > > Tnx,
      > > Brian
      > >

      > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Andre Switala
      > > <andre@> wrote:
      > >> thanks to everyone who helped me with my question. Indeed it
      seems to
      > > be
      > >> a good source for genealogical research.
      > >>
      > >> Andre
      > >>

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic