      Cathy
      From: "krupniak" <Lkrupnak@...>
      Hello Cathy,

      Photos can be uploaded to the groups photos or files area.
      Upload to the files area because there members can access an
      enlargement.

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, KatarzynaWalowa@c...
      wrote:

      > Good Morning Richard!
      >
      > You are fortunate, indeed, to have your mother's genealogy handed
      to you! That is my ultimate dream ... that I will find a long lost
      relative somewhere to help fill in the "holes".

      > In the meantime ... if you are interested ... (or if anyone out
      there is interested!) I have a few old post cards with pictures of
      Zbaraz that I could scan into my computer and send to you. I would
      most likely have to send them to you "off list" ... so let me know if
      you would like to receive them!

      > :-)
      >
      > Cathy

      > From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@h...>
      > I don't recall Mom ever saying her father went back and forth
      between Pen
      > Argyl and Zbarazh, though it could have taken place in the years my
      > grandparents were separated. He was alcoholic and abusive. I
      know people
      > whom Mom kept in touch with could never understand why they lived
      so poor,
      > because he had a dangerous job in the slate quarries, a job few men
      would
      > do, so he not only had a good paying job, but a steady one as well,
      even
      > during the depression. When he died in 1938, he had $10,000 in the
      bank
      > under 3 different names. I think that was a princely sum in those
      days.

      > As I am sure you have found too, there are many discrepancies in
      the old
      > records. IF I stick to the birth dates in the records, there are
      more holes
      > than if I ignore the dates and try to make the most sense of the
      > relationships without the dates. I was fortunate to get a list
      from my
      > mother's 85 year old cousin from Steubenville a few years back
      that, while
      > it may not be entirely accurate, ahs given me a fine starting
      point. That
      > is where I learned about Zbarazh. It is a whole lot better on my e-
      wife's
      > side. I have a genealogy on her maternal grandmother that goes all
      the way
      > back to when her German ancestors came over in 1796.
      >
      > On her paternal grandmother's side, she may be related to Albert
      Speer, the
      > Nazi war criminal! Interesting combination, considering that my
      family may
      > have been Sephardic Jews, wouldn't you say? LOL.
      >

      > I hadn't looked into the microfilm records yet, but this
      correspondence with
      > you has gotten me interested in working on the genealogy again.
      Happy
      > hunting!
      >

      > Richard
      >

      > _____

      of
      > course there are many, many missing years. Yes ... still more
      questions ...
      > and not enough answers.
      >
      > I am in the process of requesting some genealogical research from
      the
      > Archives in Ukraine. When the researcher gets back to me ... if
      you want
      > ... I will be glad to share with you their findings as far as what
      is
      > available ... and what the cost to obtain it is.
      >
      > Thanks for sharing! If I ever find out anything interesting ...
      I'll be
      > sure to let you know!
      >
      > Cathy
      > From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@h...>
      > If I have relatives in the Zbarazh area I have not discovered it
      yet, though
      > I suppose it is a good possibility. My grandfather had 5 siblings
      who
      > stayed in the old country, according to the information I have. It
      would be
      > reasonable to assume that I have distant cousins there, though I
      have yet to
      > be able to afford to look any further than what the free sites are
      able to
      > give me. I told my sons that when I die I want to be cremated,
      have most of
      > my ashes scattered over South Easton, Pa., where I grew up, but I
      want one
      > vial of my ashes interred in Zbarazh according to whatever is the
      local
      > custom with the inscription, along with my name, of "A grandson of
      Zbarazh".

      > Pen Argyl is Welsh in origin and the area was a real melting pot.
      My
      > grandfather worked in the slate quarries and spoke 7 languages.
      Mom didn't
      > learn English until she went to school. Even after she was an adult
      and
      > living on her own, he would not speak English to her, even tough he
      was
      > fluent. Northeastern Pa. has many Eastern Europeans and Italians
      from long
      > ago.
      >

      > As near as I have been able to determine, grandfather came toward
      the end of
      > January 1910. I found his name on the Ellis Island site with his
      complete
      > immigration record. I haven't been able to find anything on my
      grandmother
      > though. I had one aunt who came through Philly much earlier
      because her
      > mother died and she must have been sent over here to live with
      family or
      > friends. Her mother was Anna Bilinska (Bilinskaya?), a noted
      painter in
      > late 19th century Galicia.
      >

      > The time spent unraveling all of this has been most gratifying to
      me, even
      > though it has asked as many questions as it has answered.
      >

      > Richard Coleman
      >

      > _____

      United
      > States?
      >
      > Cathy

      > From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@h...>
      > Mine were Roman Catholic as well. I did not grow up with any idea
      that the
      > family may have been Jewish generations ago. Mom was baptized in
      St.
      > Elizabeth's Catholic Church in Pen Argyl, and my grandparents are
      buried in
      > the church cemetery. IF the family had been Jewish at one time
      either it
      > had been forgotten or it was never revealed. Thanks for answering
      my
      > e-mail.
      >

      > Richard
      >

      > _____

      Zbaraz.
      > My ancestors, however, were Roman Catholic ... and worshipped in
      the Roman
      > Catholic church in Zbaraz.
      >
      > Cathy

      > From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@h...>
      > Is there anyone reading this who is researching Zbarazh? I would be
      > especially interested in hearing from anyone whose ancestors may
      have been
      > Sephardic and who emigrated to the United States from this region of
      > Galicia. You can post to the group and I will answer from the
      group. Thank
      > you.
      >

      > Richard Coleman

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > Visit your group "Galicia_Poland-Ukraine" on the web.

      Service.

      > _____
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > * Visit your group "Galicia_Poland-Ukraine
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine> " on the web.

      subject=Unsubscri