7540RE: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Zbarazh

  • Richard Coleman
    Jan 2, 2006
      All I was ever told growing up was that my family was Polish and Roman
      Catholic. They belonged to St. Elizabeth's R.C. Church in Pen Argyl, Pa. as
      children, though their baptism papers are most likely at Our Lady of Mount
      Carmel R.C. Church in Roseto, Pa., which is one town over and supplied their
      priest in the early days. It has only been since I received some family
      tree information form my mother' s cousin that I have found out that they
      were from Zbarazh, Galicia, and may have been Sephardic Jews. I knew that
      when I was a small child in the early 50s, their was a Ukrainian family
      living in our neighborhood for a few years. The old grandmother never
      learned English, and between her Ukrainian and what Mom remembered of the
      language she grew up with, which she always called Polish, they could
      understand each other.

      My ex wife's family was German and may have been related to Albert Speer,
      the Nazi war criminal through my father in law's mother.

      Richard

      _____