      Cathy

      From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@...>
      I don't recall Mom ever saying her father went back and forth between Pen
      Argyl and Zbarazh, though it could have taken place in the years my
      grandparents were separated. He was alcoholic and abusive. I know people
      whom Mom kept in touch with could never understand why they lived so poor,
      because he had a dangerous job in the slate quarries, a job few men would
      do, so he not only had a good paying job, but a steady one as well, even
      during the depression. When he died in 1938, he had $10,000 in the bank
      under 3 different names. I think that was a princely sum in those days.

      As I am sure you have found too, there are many discrepancies in the old
      records. IF I stick to the birth dates in the records, there are more holes
      than if I ignore the dates and try to make the most sense of the
      relationships without the dates. I was fortunate to get a list from my
      mother's 85 year old cousin from Steubenville a few years back that, while
      it may not be entirely accurate, ahs given me a fine starting point. That
      is where I learned about Zbarazh. It is a whole lot better on my e-wife's
      side. I have a genealogy on her maternal grandmother that goes all the way
      back to when her German ancestors came over in 1796.

      On her paternal grandmother's side, she may be related to Albert Speer, the
      Nazi war criminal! Interesting combination, considering that my family may
      have been Sephardic Jews, wouldn't you say? LOL.

      I hadn't looked into the microfilm records yet, but this correspondence with
      you has gotten me interested in working on the genealogy again. Happy
      hunting!

      Richard

      _____

      From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@...>
      If I have relatives in the Zbarazh area I have not discovered it yet, though
      I suppose it is a good possibility. My grandfather had 5 siblings who
      stayed in the old country, according to the information I have. It would be
      reasonable to assume that I have distant cousins there, though I have yet to
      be able to afford to look any further than what the free sites are able to
      give me. I told my sons that when I die I want to be cremated, have most of
      my ashes scattered over South Easton, Pa., where I grew up, but I want one
      vial of my ashes interred in Zbarazh according to whatever is the local
      custom with the inscription, along with my name, of "A grandson of Zbarazh".

      Pen Argyl is Welsh in origin and the area was a real melting pot. My
      grandfather worked in the slate quarries and spoke 7 languages. Mom didn't
      learn English until she went to school. Even after she was an adult and
      living on her own, he would not speak English to her, even tough he was
      fluent. Northeastern Pa. has many Eastern Europeans and Italians from long
      ago.

      As near as I have been able to determine, grandfather came toward the end of
      January 1910. I found his name on the Ellis Island site with his complete
      immigration record. I haven't been able to find anything on my grandmother
      though. I had one aunt who came through Philly much earlier because her
      mother died and she must have been sent over here to live with family or
      friends. Her mother was Anna Bilinska (Bilinskaya?), a noted painter in
      late 19th century Galicia.

      The time spent unraveling all of this has been most gratifying to me, even
      though it has asked as many questions as it has answered.

      Richard Coleman

      _____

      From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@...>
      Mine were Roman Catholic as well. I did not grow up with any idea that the
      family may have been Jewish generations ago. Mom was baptized in St.
      Elizabeth's Catholic Church in Pen Argyl, and my grandparents are buried in
      the church cemetery. IF the family had been Jewish at one time either it
      had been forgotten or it was never revealed. Thanks for answering my
      e-mail.

      Richard

      _____

      From: "Richard Coleman" <drjekyll@...>
      Is there anyone reading this who is researching Zbarazh? I would be
      especially interested in hearing from anyone whose ancestors may have been
      Sephardic and who emigrated to the United States from this region of
      Galicia. You can post to the group and I will answer from the group. Thank
      you.

      Richard Coleman

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Visit your group "Galicia_Poland-Ukraine" on the web.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      * Visit your group "Galicia_Poland-Ukraine
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine> " on the web.

      be>