      From: Jim Stamm
      To: GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2012 12:00 PM
      Subject: Re: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] Re: Grandfather from Busk Galicia

      On Sep 1, 2012, at 9:50 AM, <lkrupnak@...> <lkrupnak@...> wrote:

      > Busk:
      >
      > The name 'Busk' comes from the west Ukrainian word 'busko' which
      > means 'crane'. Appropriately, the heraldic crest of the town is a
      > white stork on a blue shield and the stork is the town symbol.

      How is this appropriate? Cranes and storks are different animals.
      I'm not trying to show off or cause trouble (although that is usually
      more fun), but to learn a little more about name derivation.

      Could "busko" be defined as "a bird that looks like a crane"? Could
      the word have been given to the sight, notwithstanding the ignorance
      of the observer? Could the town and the bird have been named after
      the crane because the Vikings had no word for the stork? I could go
      on. Answers to these subtleties can sometimes be important in
      tracking genealogical migrations and surname assignments and changes.

      I invite hypotheses just like Jim's excellent suggestion. I wouldn't
      expect answers to my questions to be in the literature. We usually
      rely on classical references, but those sources quite often are the
      result of a single conclusion, and they are passed on ad infinitum.
      It's possible that if the author of Larry's reference had known about
      Jim's idea, he may have published a totally different conclusion.
      Those classical guys didn't have the benefit of any forum to
      investigate multiple hypotheses.

      -Jim

      No virus found in this message.