34057Re: Ukrainian/ Russian Army records

    Sep 2, 2010
      Order of the Day, September 19, 1943

      Issued by Marshal Stalin and addressed to Army General Yeremenko and Army General Sokolovsky

      Our troops on the Kalinin front, as a result of four days' fierce fighting, broke through strongly fortified enemy defence lines, shattered his strongpoints Ribshevo, Verdino, Lomono-sovo, Kulagino and Pankratovo, which he had held over a long period of time, and took by storm the vital strongpoint of the German defences on the way to Smolensk, the town of Dukhovshchina.

      Our troops of the Western front, after stubborn battles, broke the enemy's resistance and captured the important strongpoint of the German defences at the approaches to Smolensk, the town and railway station of Yartsevo. Thus the strongly fortified German defence line which has been in existence over a long period of time and which closed the so-called Smolensk gates, has been broken.

      In fighting for the liberation of the towns of Dukhovshchina and Yartsevo the troops commanded by Lieutenant-General Berzarin, Lieutenant-General Gluzdovsky and Lieutenant-General Golubev, tankmen under Colonel Dromov and airmen under Lieutenant-General of Aviation Gromov and Major-General of Aviation Popivin, distinguished themselves. The following divisions, brigades and battalions, to mark the victories achieved, will henceforth bear the names of the towns they liberated:

      The 91st Guards Infantry Division (Major-General Ozimin), the 17th Guards Infantry Division (Major-General Kvashnin), the 184th-Infantry Division (Colonel Tsukharev), the 46th Mechanized Brigade (Colonel Manzhurin), the 47th Mechanized Brigade (Lieutenant-Colonel Mikhailov), the 21st Artillery Division (Major-General of Artillery Samborsky), the 4th Antitank Artillery Brigade (Colonel Savlevich), the 4th Assault Engineer Sappers Brigade (Lieutenant-Colonel Matuzas), the 306th Infantry Division (Colonel Kucheryavenko), the 134th Infantry Division (Major-General Dobrovolsky), the 234th Infantry Division (Colonel Turyev), the 178th Infantry Division (Major-General Kudryavtsev), the 185th Infantry Division (Major-General Andreushchenko), the 82nd Red Banner Infantry Division (Major-General Pissarev), the 274th Infantry Division (Colonel Shulga), the 359th Infantry Division (Colonel Kosol-apov), the 233rd Assault Air Division (Lieutenant-Colonel Solovik), the 123rd Assault Air Division (Lieutenant-Colonel Solovik), the 123rd Guards Bomber Aircraft Regiment (Major Dymchenko), the 2nd Guards Motor Cycle Regiment (Lieutenant-Colonel Polubochko), the 529th Tank Artillery Regiment (Lieutenant-Col-onel Vyburov), the 72nd Engineering Battalion (Major Mosenzon), the 90th Independent Pontoon and Bridge-Building Battalion (Major Semonov).

      http://www.revolutionarydemocracy.org/Stalin/od0724to092543.htm