22282Myroniak and Myroniuk Surnames

    Sep 3, 2008
      Fred Hoffman's surname book has that Mironiuk was present in 1990. I
      suppose Mironiuk was present too..Fred didn't include all surnames.

      Myroniuk/Myroniak are the preferred transliterations of the surnames
      in Ukrainian cyrillic.

      Are Myroniuk and Myroniak the same surname...they have the same root -
      Myron, which is a masculine given name. -iak and -iuk are suffixes
      denoting connection with a person or occupation or object. iuk is a
      popular Ukrainian patronymic (suffix denoting connection to a
      person..in this case Myron..thus name means son of Myron.

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Larry <llaszynski@...>
      wrote:

      > Is it possible that Myroniuk and Myroniak are the same surname?
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > Researching: Myroniak, Sapowicz, & Laszynski

      Surnames
      > To: Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Monday, September 1, 2008, 3:02 AM
      >

      > I have been working on a family tree for years.
      Problem is I just

      > can't get anything beyond the Detroit Border Crossing for my great
      >
      > grandparents. I was just wondering if anyone reading this might
      have

      > any knowledge.
      >

      > GrGrandmother Accelina Katherine Myroniuk born according to
      >
      > immigration records 31 Mar 1888 in Zalucze, Zeremosz, Poland.
      Please