22241Re: Similuk/Samulak and Myroniuk Surnames

    Sep 2, 2008
      Yes indeed..the term Ruthenian is extremely complex, for it's meaning
      changed over time every non-"Ruthenian" had their own understanding
      of who were the Ruthenians.

      I would add to Jim's introduction to the wiki article on Ruthenians
      that at the turn of the 1900s US immigration service (and I suspect
      the British immigration service in Canada, is that correct ...our
      Canadian members can give us the correct exporession) used the term
      Ruthenian to mean the East Slavs of the Austro-Hungarian
      Empire. "East Slavs of the Austro-Hungarian Empire" were not
      necessarily a person that we would now regard as being a Ukrainian.
      An East Slav from the A-H E could have been a Carpatho-Rusyn. But,
      Carpatho-Rusyn vis-a-vis Ukrainian is another can of worms (i.e. a
      complex subject).

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Onyschuk"
      <jodanji@...> wrote:

      > Danuta,
      >

      > The term “Ruthenian” has always been a source of confusion.
      Immigrant Ukrainians at the turn of the 1900s were often referred to
      as Ruthenian on their immigration records. Rather than get into a
      debate, I will refer you to a Wikipedia article, which succinctly
      outlines the evolution of the term.

      > Regards,
      >
      > Jim Onyschuk
      >

      > The term Ruthenians (Ukrainian
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language> : Русини, Rusyny)
      is a culturally loaded term and has different meanings according to
      the context in which it is used. Initially it was the ethnonym used
      for the Ukrainian <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainians> people.
      With the emergence of Ukrainian
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_nationalism> self-awareness
      in the mid 19th century, the term initially went out of use first in
      eastern Ukraine, then central Ukraine and later in western Ukraine.
      In western Ukraine and in Ukrainian ethnic territories outside of
      Ukraine it is often still used.

      > Originally the term Rusyn was a ethnonym applied to eastern Slavic-
      speaking ethnic groups, who inhabit or inhabited the cultural and
      ethnic region of Rus' <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus_%28region%
      29> (Русь) often written through its Latin
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin> variant Ruthenia
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenia> .

      > Then, the terms "Ruthenians" or "Ruthenes" were the Latin terms
      referring to Slavic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_peoples>
      Orthodox <http://enwikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodoxy> people who
      lived in Grand
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Lithuania> Duchy of
      Lithuania (inhabiting the area that is now Belarus
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus> and Ukraine
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine> .[1]
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenians#cite_note-0> . They spoke
      the Ruthenian <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenian_language>
      language). It was also the ethnonym used by the Ukrainian
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine> kozaks
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaporizhian_Cossacks> to describe
      themselves.

      > After the area of White Russia
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Russia> (Belarus
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus> ) became part of the Russian
      Empire <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Empire> , the people of
      the area were seen as a sub-group of Russians
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russians> , and they were named White
      Russians as the name of the region of White Russia
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Russia> (Belorusians
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belorusians> in Ruthenian
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenian_language> and Russian
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Language> means White
      Russians). The Belorusian
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belorusian_language> language in the
      area evolved from the Ruthenian language
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenian_language> .

      > Later "Ruthenians" or "Ruthenes" were used as a generic term for
      Greek Catholic
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Catholic_Churches> inhabitants
      of Galicia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_%28Eastern_Europe%
      29> and adjoining territories up until the early 20th century who
      spoke Western dialects of the Ukrainian
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language> language and
      called themselves "Русины" (Rusyny). The other English name for the
      same ethnic group was "Little Russians" (see Little Russia
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Russia> ).

      > The language these "Ruthenians" or "Ruthenes" spoke was also called
      the "Ruthenian language
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenian_language> ", the
      name "Ukrajins’ka mova" (Ukrainian language
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language> ) became accepted
      by much of the Ukrainian literary class only in the early twentieth
      century in Austro-Hungarian <http://enwikipedia.org/wiki/Austria-
      Hungary> Galicia. After the dissolution of Austria-Hungary in 1918
      the term "Ukrainian <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainians> " was
      usually applied to all Ukrainian-speaking inhabitants of Galicia.

      > However, descendants of emigrants from Galicia residing in the
      United States <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States> , and
      minorities in western Ukraine, Poland
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland> , and Slovakia
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia> , still call
      themselves "Русины". These are treated under the Wikipedia article on
      Rusyns <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusyns> .

      Ukraine@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Danuta Janina Wojcik
      > Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 2:27 PM
      > To: Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Similuk/Samulak and Myroniuk
      Surnames

      40yahoogroups.com> Ukraine@yahoogroups.com>
      > Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 10:41 AM
      > Subject: RE: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Similuk/Samulak and Myroniuk
      Surnames

      > If “race was always Ruthenian,” then they were Ukrainian.
      >
      > I find it interesting that your GGrandmother was born in Zalucze,
      Zeremosz,
      > Poland, while your GGrandfather was born in Zaluczne, Sniatyn,
      Ukraine. A
      > slight spelling difference. According to the Lenius “Genealogical
      Gazetteer

      <http://www.torugg.org/> org/>

      > http://www.torugg. <http://www.torugg.org/TUGG%
      20Projects/trip_to_ukraine.html> org/TUGG%
      20Projects/trip_to_ukraine.html

      > Greek Catholic Church. Załucze nad Czeremoszem (Sniatyn) (Main
      Author)

      > Notes
      > Microreproduction of original manuscripts at the State Archives of
      > Ivano-Frankivs′k Region, Ukraine.
      > Greek Catholic Church records (births, marriages, deaths) in
      Załucze nad
      > Czeremoszem (Sniatyn), Galizien, Austria; later Załucze nad
      Czeremoszem
      > (Sniatyn), Stanisławów, Poland; now Horishnie Zaluchchia and
      Dolishnie
      > Zaluchchia, Sniatyn, Ivano-Frankivs′k, Ukraine. Text in Latin,
      Ukrainian and
      > Russian.
      > Record group 631, series 1, files 521-523, 536-538.
      >
      > on 3 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
      >
      > Film Notes
      > Note - Location [Film]
      > Volume 631-1/521 Births 1902-1906 (Horishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL
      Film
      > [ 1696908 Item 6 ]
      > Volume 631-1/521 (cont.) Births 1906-1923 (Horishnie Zaluchchia) -
      FHL INTL
      > Film [ 1696909 Item 1 ]
      > Volume 631-1/522 Marriages 1882-1920 (Horishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL
      INTL Film
      > [ 1696909 Item 2 ]
      > Volume 631-1/523 Deaths 1883-1914 (Horishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL
      Film
      > [ 1696909 Item 3 ]
      > Volume 631-1/536 Births 1868-1886 (Dolishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL
      Film
      > [ 1696788 Item 2 ]
      > Volume 631-1/537 Births 1887-1902 (Dolishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL
      Film
      > [ 1696788 Item 3 ]
      > Volume 631-1/538 Deaths 1859-1883 (Dolishnie Zaluchchia) - FHL INTL
      Film

      40yahoogroups.com> Ukraine@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of graphixkat
      > Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 4:02 AM
      > To: Galicia_Poland- <mailto:Galicia_Poland-Ukraine%